Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead Thread V.3

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    When Michonne was trying to convince Rick to stay there, they came across part of the community wall that was destructed. And there were dozens of people killed there, all cut in half at the waist. It gave them a sense that it really wasn't safe there. There were also people cut in half in the abandoned cars where they initially parked. There's a back-story there we didn't get to see.
    We will get to see it. It's connected to the voice-over we heard on the radio, spoken by Andrew "Rick Grimes" Lincoln in his natural Brit accent.

As I was watching the prelude to this week's episode, I had a thought: WTF would Maggie agree to go to Wash DC when Beth was missing? Makes no sense.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

After feeling somewhat luke-warm about most of the Fall episodes, this one just seemed unforgivably stupid.

--After all they've been through, they approach a gated community, randomly push on the gate a couple of times, then the Asian kid pokes his head over the wall??? Any sane person would first knock consistently on the gate (preferably Morse Code, or at least something that's not random); then poke a stick with a white t-shirt or flag over the wall...and if there's still no response from inside, then have the black kid poke his head over the wall (since he used to live there, he supposedly would be recognized by anyone still living).

--Scuffling noises heard in the house, but Tyresse just ignores that and starts staring at the picture on the wall (any minute I expected to hear Dream Academy on the soundtrack as an homage to the Ferris Bueller museum scene).

--1st rule of hacking off an arm or leg: have fire lit and ready for cauterizing! The zombies didn't kill Tyreese in this episode, dumb-ass Rick did!

Do this show not have anyone in charge of quality control?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    they approach a gated community, randomly push on the gate a couple of times, then the Asian kid pokes his head over the wall??? Any sane person would first knock consistently on the gate (preferably Morse Code, or at least something that's not random); then poke a stick with a white t-shirt or flag over the wall
    I think the knocking is to attract walkers. If no walkers come, then it's clear. They do that when coming up to a house as well. They knock on the door to see if there's walkers inside.

--1st rule of hacking off an arm or leg: have fire lit and ready for cauterizing! The zombies didn't kill Tyreese in this episode, dumb-ass Rick did!
    And why did that dumb assed kid run away before tying a tourniquet on that arm, or closing the door behind him to keep any additional zombies out?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

After feeling somewhat luke-warm about most of the Fall episodes, this one just seemed unforgivably stupid.

--After all they've been through, they approach a gated community, randomly push on the gate a couple of times, then the Asian kid pokes his head over the wall??? Any sane person would first knock consistently on the gate (preferably Morse Code, or at least something that's not random); then poke a stick with a white t-shirt or flag over the wall...and if there's still no response from inside, then have the black kid poke his head over the wall (since he used to live there, he supposedly would be recognized by anyone still living).

--Scuffling noises heard in the house, but Tyresse just ignores that and starts staring at the picture on the wall (any minute I expected to hear Dream Academy on the soundtrack as an homage to the Ferris Bueller museum scene).

Do this show not have anyone in charge of quality control?

Peter
    we've had these discussions before. The editing/continuity/logic flaws can bother some people more than others, but it's hard to not notice that they're there. The show is simply not good, as far as these aspects are concerned. I still find it to be entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The show is simply not good, as far as these aspects are concerned
    Yeah, it's like a movie made by freshmen in film school.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Maybe this show would work better for me if there weren't so damn many great dramas on TV right now. Plus this airs on AMC, home of Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul...it's not like the network doesn't know what the good stuff is. Still, it gets incredible ratings so maybe their attitude is why fix what isn't broken.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I know the knocking/making noise is to attract the Walkers...but approaching a gated community I think it far more prudent to make some sort of noise that won't be mistaken for Walkers.

There is a lot of talent in front and behind the camera on this show - these things irk me because I'd really like it to be better (and most of the things I point out can be fixed without having to change the overall plot structure).

Peter

These trivial things you guys nitpick about don't bother me in the slightest bit This show is mindless fun...right in my wheelhouse! I can't help but wonder what the hell you all are looking for that's so deep in a show about dead people roaming the earth.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    These trivial things you guys nitpick about don't bother me in the slightest bit This show is mindless fun...right in my wheelhouse! I can't help but wonder what the hell you all are looking for that's so deep in a show about dead people roaming the earth.
    Hear hear!

I also think that, just like the real world today, shit happens. People let down their guard and more often than not, people do stupid, illogical things, like stick their heads over walls. Most of the survivors at this point are probably walking, talking PTSD zombies anyway and are bound to make mistakes frequently.

In fact, if you take a step back and think about their rational actions versus their irrational ones, the ratio is probably about the same as any group in any situation.

Enjoy the fun, zombies eating people.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Maybe this show would work better for me if there weren't so damn many great dramas on TV right now.
    I do agree there is a surplus of very good content on network and cable TV these days, to the point stuff I want to see airs in neighboring time slots. I had to put off some stuff to watch the final season of Parks and Recreation, one of the greatest sitcoms ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Plus this airs on AMC, home of Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul...it's not like the network doesn't know what the good stuff is. Still, it gets incredible ratings so maybe their attitude is why fix what isn't broken.
    BB was amazing, and I'll get around to BCS. But I have to be the first here to say Mad Men is a glorified, overhyped soap that would be fit comfortably between General Hospital and Days of Our Lives.

Yeah, those people cut in half, I didn't know what to think of that. I thought: so what now, space aliens too?

I disagree about Man Men. It is a soap, but some of the dialogue is well written, most of the look of it art-wise is great, and the soundtrack and some of the songs work well.

Back to zombies: I do get where you're coming from when talking about some of the errors of the show. It could be done a lot better in some ways so that you don't have these jumps of disbelief, but that might take more time, rather than the TV time schedule that they have to deal with--plus they have a hit show and I'm sure they want to churn them out when they have the audience. You have to remember too, it comes from a comic book, and Kirkman the creator comes from that world as well. Some of the incidents sort of are styled after that, which doesn't dwell too much on whether or not something is plausible or not. I get irked at times too, but hey, I'm a steady watcher too.

Thought last night's episode was pretty good. Have not read the comics so have no clue what is behind those walls.....

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I disagree about Man Men. It is a soap, but some of the dialogue is well written, most of the look of it art-wise is great, and the soundtrack and some of the songs work well.
    Agreed. All things being considered, Mad Men is possibly the greatest show to ever air on US television.

Rick is one super paranoid guy. He must've been smoking some serious Panama Red.

But, his speech about Terminus and that place the Govnur built was spot on.

Oh, where did that automatic weapon that Glen have in the woods come from? It seemed like he was fighting through walkers/roamers with a pistol then emerged with an M-16?

Also, for the very official and important "If I Were A TWD Character" record, I'd go anywhere with Maggie and Michone.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Thought last night's episode was pretty good. Have not read the comics so have no clue what is behind those walls.....
    As far as I can tell they've quit following the comic, though I'm behind in reading them, and they've sort of done their own storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    As far as I can tell they've quit following the comic, though I'm behind in reading them, and they've sort of done their own storylines.
    Mmm…….not sure about that. I guy that I work with has read all of the comics and when the new guy appeared on the show last week said that he was a major character in the comics and would heavily play into the story for at least the rest of this season. He had also told me that the comics had them ending up in the Washington area once the whole Terminus thing ended. We try to have conversations without him spoiling anything for me, but he sometimes has a hard time with that. Again, I don’t read the comics, but according to this guy they are still running at least somewhat parallel paths.

Ok, well I stand corrected. I've only read up to #100 irrc, and that took a different path, and I may have missed one or two of them--unless this is the beginning of that. I stopped reading them around then as I didn't like the way it was headed or the way that arc was handled. Yeah, I know, I hate spoiler too.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    All things being considered, Mad Men is possibly the greatest show to ever air on US television.
    You forget that Breaking Bad also aired on AMC and it blew Mad Men away into fields of imperceptible particulates. So there's no way the latter could even be a contender for "the greatest show to ever air on US television."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mmm…….not sure about that. I guy that I work with has read all of the comics and when the new guy appeared on the show last week said that he was a major character in the comics and would heavily play into the story for at least the rest of this season. He had also told me that the comics had them ending up in the Washington area once the whole Terminus thing ended. We try to have conversations without him spoiling anything for me, but he sometimes has a hard time with that. Again, I don’t read the comics, but according to this guy they are still running at least somewhat parallel paths.
    They're still going to use the major storylines but will cherry pick characters and elements, i.e. the chronology gets the Ginsu-blender treatment.

I'm looking forward to Cobalt because I think they're going to use that as a platform to address the issues many people have with TWD.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    You forget that Breaking Bad also aired on AMC and it blew Mad Men away into fields of imperceptible particulates. So there's no way the latter could even be a contender for "the greatest show to ever air on US television."
    Breaking Bad was an interesting, above-average show that nevertheless had numerous problems throughout. It also didn't know how to end, and slid into a sink-hole of awfulness in its final season (redeemed somewhat by a nice final episode). I don't really know how anybody could put Breaking Bad in the same league as Mad Men - Mad Men is of a much higher caliber all the way around.

Because there has never been another show that revolved around chain smoking and philandering, I reckon.

IMO, The Wire beats anything I've seen on TV.