Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the oldest still-active band with all the original members?

Although they haven't been continuously active, the current version of the Seekers is the same lineup that debuted in 1963.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I don't disagree with a single point you've raised but a separate point to keep in mind, if you plotted a graph showing the percentage of time with Neil in the band, I suspect it's in the figure is over 97 percent. I understand the rule here but for me the current line up IS the original band
    Oh, no doubt. I suppose one could say the first 3 percent were important enough, though. For some bands and their early members, it isn't. But Rutsey, I think, was a major enough player in those formative years to have earned his place in their history. Peter Banks and Anthony Phillips are other names I'd slot into this category, although their recorded output was a bit weightier, as well as being more in quantity.

While on the subject, I actually think Rutsey was a pretty good drummer. History may not have been as kind to his legacy because he has the misfortune of being succeeded by Neil (Freakin') Peart.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Oh, no doubt. I suppose one could say the first 3 percent were important enough, though.
    Especially, considering that one of those songs from that first band ("Working Man") makes up about 20% of their current airplay, regretfully.

Banned

While on the subject, I actually think Rutsey was a pretty good drummer. History may not have been as kind to his legacy because he has the misfortune of being succeeded by Neil (Freakin') Peart.
    it wasn't history, it was life that wasn't kind to him.

Wow, I've sparked my first debate on the new PE! So, can Neil be considered an 'honorary' original member? (I heard that term used the other day in regards to Steve Howe ... not sure if it makes sense, but we'll go with it).

I say so. Let's face it, Rush would be NO WHERE without Neil's lyrics and drums. They would've been forgotten and seen, if at all, as a Led Zeppelin knock off. No disrespect to poor Rutsey (he was a drummer ... Neil's a legend), but in my mind, Rush started on Fly by Night. I don't think I've listened to that atrocious first record more than once.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    I'm hardly an expert but wikipedia lists three former members of ZZ TOP so I guess they are out!
    The lineup of Gibbons/Hill/Beard has been together since before their first album in 1970.

The question now is "What constitutes the original band?" First incarnation of the band? First album?
    Chad

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    The question now is "What constitutes the original band?" First incarnation of the band? First album?
    First album. Who cares about some earlier version that played Bar Mitzvah's and Sweet Sixteen's?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Wow, I've sparked my first debate on the new PE! So, can Neil be considered an 'honorary' original member? (I heard that term used the other day in regards to Steve Howe ... not sure if it makes sense, but we'll go with it).

I say so. Let's face it, Rush would be NO WHERE without Neil's lyrics and drums. They would've been forgotten and seen, if at all, as a Led Zeppelin knock off. No disrespect to poor Rutsey (he was a drummer ... Neil's a legend), but in my mind, Rush started on Fly by Night. I don't think I've listened to that atrocious first record more than once.
    The first record may not be a Fly By Night or 2112, but it is a good record.
    Last edited by JIF; 01-02-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: grammar mistake

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

Can't agree here. Geddy and Alex have always written the music. Geddy has repeatedly mentioned the influence of Genesis and Yes, so their writing would likely have gone in a more adventurous direction no matter who the drummer was. That's not to take away from Neil in any way. His dynamic drumming and intelligent lyrics certainly helped enable the music to move in that directly more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    First album. Who cares about some earlier version that played Bar Mitzvah's and Sweet Sixteen's?
    Agreed.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    However, I believe ZZ Top had a single with that original band.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Fair enough, but at some point it's just splitting hairs. Lets just all agree that it's ZZ Top, although they're not even the same band that they were in 1976. When I first saw 'em with the goofy beards and all, I thought it was a joke. Now Billy's been wearin' that stupid cap for 20 years. I hope he's able to wash that thing.

Speaking of ZZ Top, I just read that Billy Gibbons is bring the Moving Sidewalks together again, after 40+ years!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by KIPMEISTER View Post
    Golden Earring
    Well, that's actually a myth. Yes, they've been around since, like, '63. But not all the same guys.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I think The Mosquitoes are still together after nearly 50 years.

What about the Way-Outs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    What about the Way-Outs?
    That's where the fun is.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    Can't agree here. Geddy and Alex have always written the music. Geddy has repeatedly mentioned the influence of Genesis and Yes, so their writing would likely have gone in a more adventurous direction no matter who the drummer was. That's not to take away from Neil in any way. His dynamic drumming and intelligent lyrics certainly helped enable the music to move in that directly more quickly.

Agreed.
    So, you guys think that there's another Neil Peart lying around?
    Last edited by JIF; 01-08-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: missing word

Quote Originally Posted by KIPMEISTER View Post
    Golden Earring
    Same 4 core members since 1970 & they're still active.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Same 4 core members since 1970 & they're still active.
    I believe they formed in '63, didn't they?

I believe they formed in '63, didn't they?
    Per Wikipedia:
    Golden Earring was formed in 1961 in The Hague by 13-year-old George Kooymans and his 15-year-old neighbour, Rinus Gerritsen. Originally called The Tornados, the name was changed to The Golden Earrings when they discovered that the name The Tornados was already in use by another group. [...] In 1967, Barry Hay joined the band, replacing Krassenburg as frontman for the group. The following year, the band earned their first number one hit in the Netherlands with the song "Dong Dong Diki Digi Dong." [...] In 1970, drummer Cesar Zuiderwijk joined the band, completing what has become Golden Earring's classic (and most enduring) lineup.
    ZZ Top still lead the competition.

Oh, no doubt. I suppose one could say the first 3 percent were important enough, though. For some bands and their early members, it isn't. But Rutsey, I think, was a major enough player in those formative years to have earned his place in their history. Peter Banks and Anthony Phillips are other names I'd slot into this category, although their recorded output was a bit weightier, as well as being more in quantity.
    I think it's important to note that Ant was a big player in developing the Gabriel era Genesis sound. As I understand it, it was him and Rutherford who together brought the 12 string guitar thing into the band and of course developed the double 12 string which was a prominent part of the band's sound long after he left. And I think Tony Banks has said that when Ant left the band, it was the only time they ever considered breaking up (well, at least not until they actually really did break up). So I don't think it's really fair to lump him in with the likes of John Rutsey or Peter Banks.

Alto is missing though...

I can't believe the answers members came up with. This is so difficult!! Band members come and go as a way of life. Thank you for posting this thread. A lot to observe here!!