Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VDGG "Godbluff" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    However I can't understand how a political thread group like the Anarchist/liberal/Commie group is allowed to survive
    (well we can't read it)
    You answered your own question.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

mmhhh!!!... I understand that the Godbluff thread had a (much) higher chance to derail into a flame war compared to the christian threads (where most/all atheists won't even open these threads), but I agree ith Scherze that there is some kind of double standard in this case ... especially during the X-mas break...
    (but I respect the Mods' decision)
    I realize you're toying with me a bit, but I just want to make clear for anyone who takes this seriously that there's no double standard, where talk of atheism gets the boot and Christian talk stays. In fact, anyone who has followed PE over the years has seen many, many threads about Christianity either closed or PMed over the years.

In the end, it's all case by case, but generally speaking we appreciate members respecting the fact that we don't want PE public boards to become a forum for such discussions as they rarely end well.

Even our more relaxed policy about politics over the years has created a few rifts among those with strongly divergent opinions. We'd rather have people fight about avant vs. neo than righty vs. lefty.

However I can't understand how a political thread group like the Anarchist/liberal/Commie group is allowed to survive (well we can't read it, but I'd be curious to peek, coz I'm all of the above ) if politocal and religious subjects are unwanted or taboo...
    It's a leftover from PEv2. People would make PMs about subjects not allowed on the main boards. While we'd prefer people not come to use this site only to post in political/religious PMs, we allowed it as an 'outlet' to prevent more of this on the main boards. I'd say in the end it has mixed results as *someone* would eventually ignite a flame on the boards that would start an argument.

But for PEv3, we've tried using private groups for that. As such, there's a lefty group, a righty group, a Roman Catholic group, etc.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ditto!
    Ditto? Ditto?! You provincial putz!!

(Sorry. I couldn't resist.)

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I realize you're toying with me a bit, but I just want to make clear for anyone who takes this seriously that there's no double standard, where talk of atheism gets the boot and Christian talk stays. In fact, anyone who has followed PE over the years has seen many, many threads about Christianity either closed or PMed over the years.

In the end, it's all case by case, but generally speaking we appreciate members respecting the fact that we don't want PE public boards to become a forum for such discussions as they rarely end well.

Even our more relaxed policy about politics over the years has created a few rifts among those with strongly divergent opinions. We'd rather have people fight about avant vs. neo than righty vs. lefty.
    Well, I was indeed playing around a bit

But it's quite obvious that RIOheads are lefties and Neoheads are rightists

Anyway, I'd sensed this interesting thread (one of the best so far in 3.0) was about to close... I even predicted it on 2.0
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

But it's quite obvious that RIOheads are lefties and Neoheads are rightists
    I'm assuming you're kidding, because of the wink, but I must point out that I really don't care about an artist's political leanings. I prefer RIO to Neo, but I don't identify with either the Political left or right. I'm only in it for the music. For instance, I clicked on this thread expecting to discuss Godbluff by Van der Graaf Generator.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    For instance, I clicked on this thread expecting to discuss Godbluff by Van der Graaf Generator.
    That took place in the thread that was locked. I think you can still find it with a search, but I don't know for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I'm assuming you're kidding, because of the wink,
    yup
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

OK, I came home drunk tonight after one of those "whoops! Bar wasn't really THAT awkward because co-workers are cooler than I thought they were!" barhops. And Godbluff was the go-to album. This album, along with Still Life, are the precursors to albums such as Clutching At Straws. This is amazing stuff, and I still feel the need to tell everyone that after the five hundredth listen (possibly).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I finally heard it this year after reading about it for years, and years. Up to that point I was well familiar with Pawn Hearts, World Record, Still Life, The Least We Can Do .... I wasn't blown away on first listen but it really grew on me. Scorched Earth is a ferocious monster of a tune. It's a damn fine album, but Pawn Hearts is still their masterwork (imo), and I still like World Record more than Godbluff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    and I still like World Record more than Godbluff.
    I guess it's better to read this than be blind...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    It's a damn fine album, but Pawn Hearts is still their masterwork
    +1
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes