Thread: Duncan Mackay solo work

Duncan Mackay solo work

Has anyone heard of A picture of sound, by Duncan Mackay? I have been searching for music by this under appreciated artist. I have chimera, score and visa, and have seen articles online stating that he made a 4th solo album called A picture of sound, released in 1990? I have not had any luck finding anything else out about this 4th solo effort. Wondering if there is any place where I can turn to to locate it.

Never heared of that one but Russell Grant's Zodiac is from 1990 and realy an solo Album by Mackay.

Last edited by TheH; 05-31-2015 at 06:19 PM.

I'm pretty sure he did not do 4 albums.

Chimera was outstanding, Score was good...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Chimera was outstanding, Score was good...
    I bought Score on lp,used for about 2 dollars. Never heard Chimera.

I really enjoy Chimera (probably one of the better South-African progressive albums I've heard), but have only heard the odd other tune.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I really enjoy Chimera (probably one of the better South-African progressive albums I've heard), but have only heard the odd other tune.
    Yes, Cimera is outstanding. Score is OK and Visa plain unlistenable supermarket muzak. Waste of vinyl this one...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

This might explain it:

"Sleeve shows 'RUSSELL GRANT'S ZODIAC' in large letters at the top, giving the impression that this is an album by media astrologer Russell Grant. But in much smaller letters at the bottom, it says 'Russell Grant's Complete Album Of Sun-Signs Symbolised In The Music Of Duncan Mackay'. In fact, Russell Grant has no input at all into this record - apart from the photos on the front and back of the sleeve. The music is completely instrumental, with no vocals other than wordless interjections and sighs, and is therefore to all intents and purposes a Duncan Mackay solo LP.
    The card inner sleeve has 12 character descriptions of each star sign, presumably written by Mr Grant."

And a couple of biographies mention "A Picture In Sound", like http://www.reunion.za.net/duncan.html
    Last edited by interbellum; 06-01-2015 at 07:47 AM.

I have often seen it in charity shops and flicked past it quickly. I've just ordered a second hand one from Amazon, thanks to TheH. I may go as far as replacing the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    I have often seen it in charity shops and flicked past it quickly. I've just ordered a second hand one from Amazon, thanks to TheH. I may go as far as replacing the cover.

Which Duncan Mackay album are you referring to?

Listened to Chimera again last night, and I have to say that it's somewhat of an enigma how a record like this isn't a bit more appreciated with the punters. Of course, as with an album that it reminds me of (Chetarca's s/t), it could be due to geographical origin and availability, but this never stopped folks from discovering Italian or South American or Japanese or Eastern European goodies galore. Halfway between "classical" ELP bombast and intricate Canterburian harmonics, this album both rocks and chocks with melodies and playful colour in general. There weren't many progressives out of South-Africa, but some McCully Workshop, Freedom's Children and Jo'Burg Hawke were worthy a few spins (I never really enjoyed the Canamii record, though) - but Chimera is a truly *excellent* work of quite advanced "symphonic" rock music.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Listened to Chimera again last night, and I have to say that it's somewhat of an enigma how a record like this isn't a bit more appreciated with the punters. Of course, as with an album that it reminds me of (Chetarca's s/t), it could be due to geographical origin and availability, but this never stopped folks from discovering Italian or South American or Japanese or Eastern European goodies galore. Halfway between "classical" ELP bombast and intricate Canterburian harmonics, this album both rocks and chocks with melodies and playful colour in general. There weren't many progressives out of South-Africa, but some McCully Workshop, Freedom's Children and Jo'Burg Hawke were worthy a few spins (I never really enjoyed the Canamii record, though) - but Chimera is a truly *excellent* work of quite advanced "symphonic" rock music.
    It's with regret that I admit to missing out on the CD reissue when it came out a few years ago. Maybe there is vinyl still available though. Your description is quite intriguing.

EDIT: Wait a sec... Wayside Music still has copies on CD it seems. Maybe I spoke too soon.

Probably one of the only South-African progressive albums I've heard...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"