Thread: Phil Collin's back catalogue to be issued in deluxe versions!

Phil Collin's back catalogue to be issued in deluxe versions!

Maybe this should have been posted on the OT forum but due to his 'Prog' credentials thought here would be appropriate?
    Which albums of his back catalogue pique PE members interest? Also anyone know of anything unreleased they would like to see included in these re-issues?

Phil Collins' back catalog will get a long-awaited revamp starting this year.

Collins has signed a deal with Warner Music to issue deluxe versions of all his solo albums, "as well as other uniquely curated titles from the vaults."

The first two releases will be 1981's Face Value and 1993's Both Sides this fall. The rest of the catalog -- Hello I Must Be Going, No Jacket Required, But Seriously, Dance Into the Light, Testify and Going Back -- will appear in 2016.

Collins' solo catalog is rare among classic artists -- none of the albums has been remastered or reissued since being released on CD in the '80s and '90s.

Interesting that Going Back is included. Does that one already need remastering, and is there enough bonus material to make it worth revisiting? It was only released just a few short years ago.

I'd still be interested to see/hear some unreleased things. I've always enjoyed Phil as an artist, and though I don't necessarily love everything he's done, he's more hit than miss for me.

Something like Going Back is included because as this is a reissue campaign, with a new(ish) label for Phil's material, if it wasn't included, it wouldn't officially be in print anymore. Is it a needed re-purchase? Maybe with new bonus material, but I think the original releases had pretty much everything recorded for the project under one roof.

I'm looking forward to these reissues, I think they'll be a good way to put his solo career forward again.

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    none of the albums has been remastered or reissued since being released on CD in the '80s and '90s.[/I]

That's interesting.

I'll probably wind up getting the first two because I like them, and No Jacket for the sake of nostalgia. Phil, like Genesis, has some pretty good B-sides, so that's something to look forward to.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Interesting that Going Back is included.
    And that the big-band album isn't. That's really the lost gem in his catalogue.

Both Sides is my hands-down favorite, so I'm glad to see that one coming up first.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Phil Collins ruined deluxe editions.

It'd be nice to see a Live at Perkins Palace DVD finally issued with Hello I Must Be Going. Same for the No Ticket Required DVD with No Jacket Required and But Seriously The Videos DVD with But Seriously. My VHS tapes are getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Collins' solo catalog is rare among classic artists -- none of the albums has been remastered or reissued since being released on CD in the '80s and '90s.
    Still, I think the 24 K + Gold Compact Disc from "Face Value" on Audio Fidelity sounds quite close to the original LP.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Phil Collins ruined deluxe editions.
    Since I don't own the first two albums in CD format, I may well buy Face Value: The Deluxe Ruined Edition and Hello I Must Be Going: Digitally Ruined from the Original Master Tapes. I shall also consider But Seriously: 24 K Ruin-Fi Edition. While I share Battema's liking for Both Sides, I'm unlikely to be getting the Ruinophile edition. I sincerely hope that Collins would still be inspired to release new music, even if just a cover album. I would certainly buy Phil Collins Ruins The Ruins, for example.

I'm also a big fan of Both Sides, so I may grab that one, and a couple of others depending on the bonus tracks.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    And that the big-band album isn't. That's really the lost gem in his catalogue.
    It sure is. Hot stuff!