Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vocal Harmonies in Prog

If he likes Yes, he can't go wrong with Magma.

Ambrosia is a no-brainer
    Phideaux on occasion
    Renaissance

And I agree with polmico on Zappa, although most of the time they are doing nice vocals on his shorter, rock oriented songs, not the proggier stuff.

I'll throw in an odd one: Camel. Never high on people's radar when it comes to vocals, but they have had some nice instances of vocal harmonies (Hymn to Her, Rose of Sharon immediately come to mind, some tracks off of Rain Dances and Breathless as well)

Banco were not known for vocal harmonies, but the Live Album "No Palco" has some amazing vocal harmonies in those arrangements.

Stella, Isabelle and Herve of Magma, for sure.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    If he likes Yes, he can't go wrong with Magma.
    Ahem. Well... Long live the latter.

Harmonium sported some of the finest vox harmonies (no pun) that I have heard. French band Malicorne had lots of them, as did the little known one-off Ilous & Decuyper duo from there.

And Steve F. is absolutely right about Time of Orchids; they displayed some of the most daring harmonies (and not only vocal ones) that I ever encountered in contemporary rock music - and they were progressive (as in actually creating radical and *new* music of their own).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    When I heard "Two, Too" from Fireballet I thought: those harmonies sounds as if Moon Safari must have heard this record.

England did some fine harmonies on "Garden Shed" too:

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Could you squeeze a Big Big Train in here?
    I would. I think the band in its current state has a lot to offer.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Heh .. yeah .. I was catching up on the responses in this thread, and I thought about Magma. It's worth tossing out there. Incidentally, I got my sister's boyfriend Magma's "TH Trilogie" for Christmas in response to her suggestion of "drum-focused prog". Perhaps not coincidentally, I haven't heard a word from him since.

Anyway .. Thanks for the rest of the suggestions. I haven't heard Moon Safari, but it sounds like that'd be right up his alley. I think he mentioned liking Floyd, so he'll probably like Porky T as well. I'll check out some of the others. Thanks!
    flute juice

I think this is one of the most gorgeous bits of music Magma ever did, the Blum Tendiwa part of Wurdah Itah. Just superb!

And then there is this piece of astonishing vocalese:

Last edited by Dana5140; 05-13-2015 at 07:57 PM.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

All right, not really their most progressive moment, but you said CSNY were one of his favourite groups!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

But seriously...

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

i think that many progbands of today has great vocal harmonies.

neal morse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0UjeJvw4Xs

magic pie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gDPjL4oNVo

A.C.T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5sAPPXjEDU

just to name a few

YES
    Echolyn
    Genesis (early with PG, PC etc)
    Moon Safari
    Beach boys (not prog really but what the heck)
    Some Italian prog

Does the multi-tracked vocals of Greg Lake count?

Same question for Phil Collins
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

I think it's more about multi-part harmonies between singers. But I think the way Steven Wilson does the really lush stuff with his own multi-tracked vocals would qualify. And he's already a Phil Collins fan.

And dang, I like what I've heard of Moon Safari. ALL the major keys. Oddly very comforting. Or maybe it's the sertraline kicking back in.
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    EDIT : At least 4 other people have told me that they share my opinion that Moon Safari's vocals are on a par with the Beach Boys!
    ok, you've got my interest

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And Steve F. is absolutely right about Time of Orchids; they displayed some of the most daring harmonies (and not only vocal ones) that I ever encountered in contemporary rock music - and they were progressive (as in actually creating radical and *new* music of their own).
    Yes indeed.

And some of the most profoundly disorienting music I've ever heard: Imagine Beach Boys harmonies over unpredictable through-composed songs in a "difficult" Thinking Plague harmonic palette - usually not in quite the same key, and sometimes not in any easily identifiable key - and all played with a Downtown NYC punky rawness quite foreign to either band.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Imagine Beach Boys harmonies over unpredictable through-composed songs in a "difficult" Thinking Plague harmonic palette - usually not in quite the same key, and sometimes not in any easily identifiable key - and all played with a Downtown NYC punky rawness quite foreign to either band.
    Very, very true. What still amazes me to this day, almost eight years after they folded, is the sense that you're essentially listening to a near live-in-the-studio performance - which was probably the only way to get this rawness across. Rarely - if ever - have I heard rock music with this degree of focus on dissonance still emphasize the downright melodic as part of that very dissonance. And they remained a "post-hardcore avant-prog-ROCK" band...

Shit, they were beyond good - and IMO they even marked a 'point of no return' for the concept of contemporary progressive rock music as just that: i.e. sans the damn quotation marks. This was where the ventures of a joint force from Yes to Beefheart eventually ended up.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Very, very true. What still amazes me to this day, almost eight years after they folded, is the sense that you're essentially listening to a near live-in-the-studio performance - which was probably the only way to get this rawness across.
    I don't think that's how they did it, though. Reason being, I saw them live just before they broke up, and they had considerable trouble reproducing the Namesake Caution material on stage. Which is hardly a surprise - the vocal and instrumental parts were each of the sort that take a lot of concentration and listening to get right, and trying to do both at the same time.....

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    ok, you've got my interest
    Don't take OUR word for it:

"Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    OK listened to a few snippets.. Where do you start with this band.. Amazon has live in Mexico for a great price.. good starting place?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    OK listened to a few snippets.. Where do you start with this band.. Amazon has live in Mexico for a great price.. good starting place?
    More recently recorded than their other live album The Gettysburg Address (recorded at Rosfest). Get something that has "The Other Side Of The Sky" on it.
    Last edited by progeezer; 05-14-2015 at 08:47 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    More recently recorded than their other live album The Gettysburg Address (recorded at Rosfest). Get something that has "The Other Side Of The Sky" on it.
    Which originally is on 'Blomljud', which is a great place if you want a studio album.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yep

/thread
    Ditto

I'm truthfully not one to ask. As an old doo-wop accapella singer, the first time I heard them, I thought, "how can these 20 somethings from a town of 35,000 in Northern Sweden "get" the harmonies of not just the Beachies, but the intricate harmonies of vocal groups like The Hi-Los, 4 Freshmen and Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, with a smidge of CSN also thrown in the pot. And they're not playing re-worked Chuck Berry solos while they're doing it.

Many of the "they're too sweet & syrupy" mindset (just as valid a mindset as mine, and I understand it) have changed their mind after seeing them live.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman