Thread: King Crimson in Quebec City

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

King Crimson in Quebec City

from Prog Montreal:

King Crimson in Quebec City!
    The legendary progressive rock band King Crimson will be in Quebec City for two nights at the Palais Montcalm (995, place d'Youville, Quebec City) on Friday, November 13 and Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 8:00 PM. After an acclaimed US tour in 2014, King Crimson is back in 2015 to the delight of fans. The lineup will be unlike you've ever seen with three drummers on stage being part of the seven musicians, four English and three Americans.

Formed on January 13, 1969 in the basement of the Fulham Palace Cafe in London, King Crimson is reincarnated for the 8th time with Robert Fripp (guitar), Tony Levin (bass, vocals), Mel Collins (sax, flute) Jakko Jakszyk ( guitar, voice) accompanied by drummers Gavin Harrison, Bill Rieflin and Pat Mastelotto.

King Crimson is a progressive rock band with varied influences and approaches throughout its nearly fifty years of existence. A brilliant amalgam jazz, folk, classical and experimental music, raw and psychedelic rock and many others, all supported by the balanced and well-crafted compositions of the group.

The 13th studio album, called The Power To Believe, was released in 2003. In 2011, Robert Fripp, Mel Collins and Jakko Jakszyk released A Scarcity Of Miracles, a project which Tony Levin of King Crimson and Gavin Harrison also participated.

"This reincarnation of the group, and there were several in its history, is the most imposing and possibly the best so far!" - Hollywood Reporter

Mel Collins, a member of King Crimson from 1970 to 1972, appears in the albums In the Wake Of Poseidon (1970), Lizard (1970), Islands (1971) Earthbound (1972). He also made a special appearance on their last album of the 70s, Red (1974). Collins has subsequently worked with The Rolling Stones, Roger Waters of Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Eric Clapton and many others.

Robert Fripp, best known for his work with King Crimson, has also contributed on many albums by diverse artists like Brian Eno, David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Blondie, Talking Heads, Daryl Hall, The Roches, Peter Hammil, Keith Tippett, The Orb and The Grid. In 1979, his solo album, Exposure, was described as "the Sgt. Pepper of avant punk." He was nominated twice among the top 100 guitarists of all time in a poll by Rolling Stone magazine.

Gavin Harrison joined King Crimson in 2007. Considered a respected author and mentor, he has released three albums in collaboration with the English guitarist 05ric but remains best known for his work with Porcupine Tree. Modern Drummer magazine places him among their Top 50 best drummers of all time.

As former members of the group King Crimson, Jakko Jakszyk and Mel Collins came together to form the 2002-2004 21st Century Schizoid Band. The first solo album by Jakszyk, The Bruised Romantic Glee Club (2006) was his first collaboration with Robert Fripp. He most recently produced Homo Erraticus.

Tony Levin has been a member of King Crimson since 1981. Recognized internationally and constantly in demand for his distinctive work on bass, he accompanies Peter Gabriel on tour, with whom he's been working since 1977. He also appears on albums by John Lennon, David Bowie and many other artists. He recently formed his own band, Stick Men with King Crimson drummer Pat Mastelotto.

Pat Mastelotto joined King Crimson in 1994 after working with David Sylvian and Fripp. Member of the popular American band of the 80s, Mr. Mister, he is into experimental music but also pop and rock.

Primarily known for his drumming skills in the bands Ministry and KMFDM, Bill Rieflin is a multi-instrumentalist. He played drums with REM in 2003 until its dissolution in 2011. He recorded with Robert Fripp the album Birth Of A Giant and The Repercussions Of Angelic Behaviour and more recently with the band Slow Music.

Tickets for that show will be put on sale on May 22 at noon and will cost $95 to $181, available through Billetech.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    In 1979, his solo album, Exposure, was described as "the Sgt. Pepper of avant punk."
    Is that like being named one of the top 10 contrabassoon players in rock?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Tickets for that show will be put on sale on May 22 at noon and will cost $95 to $181, available through Billetech.
    I like this band, but not that much.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I like this band, but not that much.
    I'm really glad I got to see them last summer here in Madison for $50 & we had 8th row center seats, because I wouldn't pay that much either, Lou.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Those prices are CAN, no?

Isn't that about 50 cents USD?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Nothing about this on DGM yet, but that date is after the Euro tour. I imagine additional N. American shows will follow.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Those prices are CAN, no?

Isn't that about 50 cents USD?

BG
    A little high, but yeah...

neil

hmmm oddly the Toronto dates might line up with a partially planned vacation around that area. To those with Toronto experience if I bought the tickets tomorrow and found out I couldn't go how easy would it be to sell it off?

The Vancouver dates align with the US Thanksgiving weekend. If I go...and that's a big 'if' at this stage...it would be for those dates.

Gojikranz, Crimson have always been big here, so you shouldn't have much trouble. They are expensive, of course, but someone will want to go, I'm sure.

neil

As long as there are two threads on KC in Canada I will post this here, too: presale codes for the Montreal and Toronto KC dates would be greatly appreciated. Presale date is this Thursday the 21st. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Nothing about this on DGM yet, but that date is after the Euro tour. I imagine additional N. American shows will follow.
    October is totally free!!!!!