Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Deep Purple, Yes & ELO top 'Rolling Stone' readers poll for R&R HOF induction!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Totally disagree with the Cheap Trick comments. Maybe it is because I am from the Midwest, but I consider Cheap Trick one of the great power pop / rock bands of all time. I have almost their entire discography and although they have made some duds, they have also made some great albums.

The duds for me were during the Jon Brant-era (although I dont think Brant had anything directly to do with the dud-liness) but even those albums had a few decent moments on them and they still maintained their air of "fun" throughout........An album in particular, "One On One" (technically not a Brant-era album although hes on the cover), I didnt think was bad at all musically -- I just thought the production was horrible (especially for 1982!) which made the songs suffer IMHO...the production is so bad for me that I consider it almost unlistenable

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Aside from Special One being weak (but hardly worthless), I'd say the four-album run starting with the 97 s/t, gives any other part of their career a run for its money.
    I would agree. "Special One" is definitely the weakest of the 4, but it is not terrible.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    The RRHOF is eventually going to induct every band older than 20 years because it will eventually run out of acts period. All the acts that get talked about are usually the ones that had some measure of brand recognition, even if they weren't wildly popular. What band from 2000 would qualify in 5 years.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    The RRHOF is eventually going to induct every band older than 20 years because it will eventually run out of acts period.
    Only if it restricts itself to rock, which it clearly doesn't.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Cheap Trick wouldn't be a particularly divisive/controversial inclusion in my view. They had their own sound and one of the most acclaimed live rock albums. (In addition to their own work there's that fantastic recording they did with John Lennon of his song 'I'm Losing You' which is better than the one that got released at the time.)

But I don't for a minute think they should be in before the three bands heading this particular thread, or Roxy Music, The Moody Blues, King Crimson...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Cheap Trick wouldn't be a particularly divisive/controversial inclusion in my view. They had their own sound and one of the most acclaimed live rock albums. (In addition to their own work there's that fantastic recording they did with John Lennon of his song 'I'm Losing You' which is better than the one that got released at the time.)

But I don't for a minute think they should be in before the three bands heading this particular thread, or Roxy Music, The Moody Blues, King Crimson...
    I also think Cheap Trick's cover of "Magical Mystery Tour" is better than the original (I shouldve mentioned that in the "Covers" thread).....Its one of the songs where the 12-String Bass is well defined and it really gives the song a lot of impact

but, just for discussions sake, I think ELO - or at the very least: Jeff Lynne - should be in before all of those you mentioned....No matter what we may think here on PE, King Crimson nor Roxy Music didnt really have a giant impact on the broad and diverse swatch of Overall Rock N Roll listeners and fans. In a lot of ways, KC has a cult-ish following and fan-base while Roxy Music is mostly forgotten to the masses......However, generations of listeners are constantly reminded of bands like The Moody Blues, Yes, and ELO as they still get a lot of airplay (radio, TV commercials, Muzak,etc) and, therefore, have sustainability, staying-power, and a much broader appeal.............

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think the fact that CT never became superstars, and that they survive by playing live anytime and anywhere, is precisely why they're so great. Hard to name an American mainstream rock band that's been going so long and still delivers at every show. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts maybe, but they haven't had a consistent lineup like CT has (even with the recent, controversial drummer change).
    Last edited by bRETT; 05-14-2015 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Deep Purple:

I get the love, even if I don't totally share it.

But IMO they deserve to get in on the same grounds that Velvet Underground got in -- they influenced a bazillion musicians and bands. Plus they actually sold a lot of records over a very lengthy career. Something the VU never did. But clearly to the HOF tastemakers one of these things is NOT like the other.
    Not to mention the guitar riff from Smoke was on the "banned" list at many music stores in the 70s & 80s

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Not to mention the guitar riff from Smoke was on the "banned" list at many music stores in the 70s & 80s
    What do you mean "was"?

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    I think the fact that CT never became superstars, and that they survive by playing live anytime and anywhere, is precisely why they're so great. Hard to name an American mainstream rock band that's been going so long and still delivers at every show. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts maybe, but they haven't had a consistent lineup like CT has (even with the recent, controversial drummer change).
    One could argue Styx and REO Speedwagon are similar. Both bands have been road dogs forever and tour pretty much constantly. From a sales perspective both bands outsold Cheap Trick. Of course they have had more lineup changes.

Bought one Cheap Trick and that was more than enough! American AOR that couldn't sell a bean outside their homeland!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Bought one Cheap Trick and that was more than enough! American AOR that couldn't sell a bean outside their homeland!
    If Cheap Trick is nominated I'd hope that they'd decline the offer in deference to The Move.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Why do you people really give a shit who would be nominated to that Hole of Fame?
    Would you love your favs more for that?
    Do you think more "mainstream" folks will start listening to them?
    I honestly think that musicians of caliber like Pink Floyd, Yes, Deep Purple, Rush, etc. should feel disgraced to be in the same list with most of those "artists" and "ROCK (sic!) stars".

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    Why do you people really give a shit who would be nominated to that Hole of Fame?
    Here we go again.

(deep breath)

It's nice to see someone whose art gives you joy get the props they deserve.

It's that simple. Nothing rises and falls on it; it's just "you go, man, you earned it."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)