Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobson - Green Album(Did he do any shows)

Jobson - Green Album(Did he do any shows)

Always wondered if he did any shows to promote the album...Anyone have any insight...Would love a bootleg

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Always wondered if he did any shows to promote the album...Anyone have any insight...Would love a bootleg
    Funny you should ask this question. I wondered this myself on occasion. At the recent UK show in NYC Eddie stated that because he did no touring after the Green Album, he had no clue whether many people had bought it or liked it. Only now, touring as UK, had he discovered that there is a lot of love out there for that old LP...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Funny you should ask this question. I wondered this myself on occasion. At the recent UK show in NYC Eddie stated that because he did no touring after the Green Album, he had no clue whether many people had bought it or liked it. Only now, touring as UK, had he discovered that there is a lot of love out there for that old LP...
    When I spoke to him in Miami before the UK concert there, he also told me that he asked many people to be the singer on the album, but all refused, so he decided to do the vocals himself...

I don't totally understand the complaints I see about the vocals. I was shocked to see it was him singing when I read the liner notes. He obviously needed some development in phrasing, but his pitch was spot-on, and he had that nice high tenor thing going on. I actually thought it was a great debut as lead vocalist.

I remember shortly after the release of the Green Album, there was an ad in the back of Guitar Player (or World) seeking musicians for his band. I believe he was still on the east coast at the time (Connecticut?). Not sure if it ever got to the auditions stage.

And where the heck is that Pink album?

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I don't totally understand the complaints I see about the vocals. I was shocked to see it was him singing when I read the liner notes. He obviously needed some development in phrasing, but his pitch was spot-on, and he had that nice high tenor thing going on. I actually thought it was a great debut as lead vocalist.
    Ditto.

And there were no live shows, but he did shoot at least one video (dig the early eMpTy-tV promo and Tron-era computer graphics):

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Patience shall be rewarded.

I wonder if his brief time in Yes coincided with when he would have been touring The Green Album. I purchased it sometime in Fall of 83 thinking he was in Yes.

I don’t ever remember seeing “Turn It Over” on eMpTyV. The first time I saw it was years later at a friend’s house (he had the Picture Music videotape which had this, as well of the “of proggy interest, mainly because of the Mellotron” “She Controls Me” by Strange Advance). I always wondered what actual synth(s) he was playing on this track, because the one in the video looks like a prop (ditto the “crystal” cymbal on the drummer’s kit).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I love the Green Album. Totally forgot about it but now I know what I'll be listening to tonight.
    The Prog Corner

Wasn't 'Theme of Secrets' kinda pink??

I had this album on vinyl when I had a vinyl collection. I can barely remember it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    And there were no live shows, but he did shoot at least one video (dig the early eMpTy-tV promo and Tron-era computer graphics):
    It goes well with the very '80s audio production.

I had to watch that video to see if it was the drummer on the album, Michael Barsimanto. It was. My ex-wife had a child from a previous relationship; Michael was the father. I changed his kid's diapers, among other step-parental duties. It's a small world after all.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I had to watch that video to see if it was the drummer on the album, Michael Barsimanto. It was. My ex-wife had a child from a previous relationship; Michael was the father. I changed his kid's diapers, among other step-parental duties. It's a small world after all.
    Next time you talk to/see your ex-step-kid you can say "Hey, your bio dad was a pretty good drummer. He could make plastic cymbals sound just like the real thing!"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I recall seeing that playing on one of the TVs when I went with a friend to rent some movies at a TV shop that had just started what was the first video rental club in my area. This was a VHS place. I joined a club that rented Beta movies later that year because the prevailing wisdom was that Beta was going to win the format war because it was the superior format, plus the Beta place in my area had a deeper catalog than the VHS place.

At :44, can anyone name the computer? I used to work with a closely-related machine in the early '80s, so it immediately looked familiar even though I never used that exact model.

The Enemy God
    Barsimanto plays on a version of The Church by Keith Emerson and is phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    Wasn't 'Theme of Secrets' kinda pink??
    Ha! I guess there is some pink in there.

I first saw that vid on a late night show called Night Flight. Me and my GF (now wife) couldn't believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by gallen1964 View Post
    He also played on albums from Stuart Hamm (the one with Allan Holdsworth, so there's a link to UK) and Group 87, while he also was part of the Floor Project from John Goodsall.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    AFAIK, the drummers were Bozzio and van Hooke on the Group 87 albums, unless there was another one I hadn't heard of.

Re synths on the Green album: it's hard to know unless there's someplace where he's talked about it, it's hard to know just what was used on the record. Knowing that he used a Yamaha CS-80 in UK and Tull, and later played a Synclavier, I'm guessing those could be what he used on the album. But I imagine, at the time, he was one of those guys that a lot of companies were sending gear to, hoping he used it. So at least theory, just about anything that was available at the time, from the Prophet-5 to the Jupiter-8 to the Memorymoog to the Voyetra-8, could have been in the studio at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gallen1964 View Post
    Oh, he's very good; I played with him once when I lived in L.A. in the mid '80s. Coincidentally and oddly, I met my ex-wife two years later in Chicago, where we had both moved back to. After dating a couple of weeks, she asked me if I'd met a drummer named Mike Barsimanto when I lived in L.A. I gave him a ride to this jam session I'd put together (his car was in the shop) and as I was waiting in his driveway, I heard him talking to a woman and I heard a baby crying. There's no way I could've guessed that what I was hearing would be my future family.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    AFAIK, the drummers were Bozzio and van Hooke on the Group 87 albums, unless there was another one I hadn't heard of.
    Right, there's only two Group 87 albums.

http://www.eddiejobson.com/forum/rea...=26831&t=26704

Re: Zinc Album Keyboards and FX
    Author: EJ
    Date: 08-26-13 23:13

You are correct, as best I remember without playing the whole Green album through again, that the instruments used were CS80, minimoog, grand piano, and yes, a real glockenspiel that was sitting in the studio. I believe the "phasing" you referring to is the built-in oscillator phasing of the CS80 and the famous chorus switch, although there may have been a studio phaser on Through The Glass - probably the Eventide Clockworks phaser that was so ubiquitous back then.

I also read a recent post (maybe it was on YouTube) that mentioned that it sounds like there is a CS80 on Theme of Secrets. That is because I had sampled several instruments into my Synclavier library including some CS80 sounds, Voyetra, minimoog, and the grand piano from Piano One prior to making 'Secrets' entirely on the Synclavier.

Additional trivia regarding Theme of Secrets would include the fact that the entire album was programmed using only a 10Mb hard drive and 4Mb of RAM. 25 years later, my sample library had reached more than 1.6 million samples and took up about a terabyte of drive space. I must get back to using it one day.

If memory serves, "Turn It Over" (the song) is all drum machine. Half the songs were drum machine, half were Barsimanto.

Ernie, that's great trivia!

BTW, does anyone know the names of the bassist and guitarist in the video? I think there were 2 bassists and 3-4 guitarists on the LP. Perhaps it's a subset of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    I think there were 2 bassists and 3-4 guitarists on the LP. Perhaps it's a subset of those guys.
    I know Gary Green of Gentle Giant was one of those guitarists (and I don't think that's him in the video). It always fascinated me to wonder how that connection happened. I recall reading the story some time not too long ago, but can't remember it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Well, Van Hook indeed played the drums on "A Career In Dada Processing", but Barsimanto is mentioned as one of the musicians who contributed too, which is why came into my musicians data-base. If you can enlarge the following pic, you can see it:

group-87-a-career-in-dada-processing-st-12334-a46202-100x100.jpg

Whatever happened to the UKZ album that was coming out? What a weird career!

From the Green Album:

1) Transporter
    2) Resident
    3) Easy For You Say
    4) Prelude
    5) Nostalgia
    6) Walking From Pastel
    7) Turn It Over
    8) Green Face
    9) Who My Friends Really Are
    10) Colour Code
    11) Listen To Reason
    12) Through The Glass
    13) Transporter II

Musicians:
    Vocals, Keyboards, and Violin - Eddie Jobson
    Guitars - Nick Moroch (2,3,8,9)
    Guitars - Cary Sharaf (7)
    Guitars - Gary Green (11,12)
    Guitars - Michael Cuneo (2,9,11,12)
    Bass - Alon Oleartchik (3,7,8,11)
    Bass - Jerry Watts (2,5,9,11,12)
    Drums - Michael Barsimanto (2,3,8,9,11,12)

Music and Words written and arranged by Eddie Jobson
    Produced by Eddie Jobson

(p) and (c) 1983 Capitol Records, Inc.