Thread: FEATURED CD - Sigur Ros : Hvarf Heim

FEATURED CD - Sigur Ros : Hvarf Heim

Per Allmusic:
    After floating in the same cirrus clouds for a decade, it would seem that the time has come for a change. Not to say that the lulling orchestral swells or Jon Birgisson's schoolboy falsetto have lost any of their magic over time; it's just that after releasing 40-some similar-sounding songs with undecipherable lyrics, it becomes increasingly difficult to differentiate one from the next. However, Hvarf/Heim isn't the album to mark a musical departure for Sigur Rós. The bandmembers show no real sign of abandoning their style, so it seems understandable that they would want to show fans another side of themselves. Disc one, Hvarf, is a five-track collection of rarities from their vaults. The handful of tracks doesn't quite make for a fulfilling full-length, but with two of the songs almost hitting the ten-minute mark, the disc's entirety feels much longer than a mere EP. Consistently sprawling and lunar, the songs would feel right at home on Takk... or ( ). The standout track, "Hljómalind," is one of the more concise and traditional songs crafted over their journey, with the traditional instrumentation of reversed chimes and bowed guitar delays sawing textures into the fabric of the song, just before giving way to a powerful rock chorus from the mouth of a gently meowing alien. The traditional slow build is ignored for dynamics, and an unusually tangible hook hits like an old-fashioned punch to the face. The second disc, Heim, is comprised of six acoustically performed versions of favorites from their back catalog. Surprisingly, these songs don't sound remarkably different from the originals. Even without an electric guitar droning, they aren't sparse or minimal in the least, due to an additional string quartet, Amiina, filling in the gaps to create a lush soundscape. The reworkings are subtle, but the versions of "Samskeyti" and "Starálfur" remain beautiful and are slightly warmer and even more fragile than the originals. Completists will find this double-disc supplement of material appealing, and new fans wanting to get a quick feel for the band will probably enjoy it too, but the true excitement revolving around this promises to be in the accompanying release of the Heima DVD, a documentary -- with gorgeous cinematography -- that follows Sigur Rós' 2006 tour of their homeland and features music from these discs, which is perfectly fitting for a slow-motion shot of an iceberg melting in a spring sunrise.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/hvarf-heim-mw0000488744

Regards,

Duncan

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I think I own this.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

It's always the same...

Stopped owning any Sigur Ros at "Takk..."
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Yeah, I own this. Not one I revisit as often as others ("()" and "Med Sud" are my own personal faves of theirs).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Ágćtis byrjun, (), and their latest, Kveikur, are my favorites. While I don't listen to them as much as I used to, they are amazing in a live setting and I always make sure to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Ágćtis byrjun, (), and their latest, Kveikur, are my favorites. While I don't listen to them as much as I used to, they are amazing in a live setting and I always make sure to see them.
    Yeah, they are great live. I saw them back right after ( ) was released, and again a year or two ago just before Kveikur came out. I personally liked them in the earlier, more intimate setting...but they are definitely a strong live outfit
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I like all of those plus Takk & Valtari. Ágćtis byrjun is probably my favorite, Kveikur was at least a bit of a departure from their usual sound. I don't feel a compelling need to buy any more in the same way I don't for AC/DC or Alamaailman Vasarat.

Never had the chance to see them live so would certainly jump at the chance.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I don't feel a compelling need to buy any more in the same way I don't for AC/DC or Alamaailman Vasarat.
    Those two and Sigur Ros have an upcoming Lollapalooza tour planned. I can just see the placid and tranquil circumstances with audience members deciding on what the common factor might be.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yanni, George Winston, Sigur Ros same difference .....
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Yanni, George Winston, Sigur Ros same difference .....
    Yanni?!? Them's fightin' words, Brotha Eric...

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Yanni?!? Them's fightin' words, Brotha Eric...
    I forgot to add John Tesh ... :P
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I rate this one as high as Ágćtis Byrjun and Taak. Love it from start to finish. And I also saw them a number of years ago in a high school auditorium. They opened with a sheer curtain over the front of the stage with some tasteful foot lights that cast long shadows. It made for a very dramatic opening. They had a 3 or 4 piece string section that really enhanced the music.

Highly recommended!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

it's the same music from Heima, a film that I once saw at Midnight at the Uptown Theatre in Minneapolis when it was 10 below outside.

Heima also was quite healing for me when I got food poisoning a few months later (while on vacation too, in Arizona).

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    it's the same music from Heima, a film that I once saw at Midnight at the Uptown Theatre in Minneapolis when it was 10 below outside.

Heima also was quite healing for me when I got food poisoning a few months later (while on vacation too, in Arizona).
    Yeah, that documentary is quite cool. I
    love the shows in small Icelandic towns and how everybody comes out and participates.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    This is a nice collection of mostly live acoustic recordings. Sigur Ros puts on one of the best live shows I have ever seen that takes me to that same transcendent, blissed out place I go when I listen to Topographic or "Awaken". I love their albums and don't forget Jonsi's solo outing, Go, either.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Those two and Sigur Ros have an upcoming Lollapalooza tour planned. I can just see the placid and tranquil circumstances with audience members deciding on what the common factor might be.
    Where have you heard about Alamaailman Vasarat playing? I was thinking they had split up as their website has gone and their facebook page hasn't been updated in nearly a year.
    Last edited by alanterrill; 05-02-2015 at 12:11 PM.