Thread: Steve Hackett- Wild Orchids

Steve Hackett- Wild Orchids

It seems to me this album is the most 'forgotten' among his rock releases so it deserves its own thread. I remember it being the first Hackett release I bought when it was out...the day before it was due out, as I recall! At that time I only really knew his first four, 'Highly Strung' and maybe 'Guitar Noir'.

I don't think I liked it much at first, it felt too all over the place and some songs seem unnecessary (the instrumental 'She Moves In Memories' which is just an instrumental 'To A Close'!). But it really did grow on me...'Down Street' was a song I really hated at first but I think now it's my favourite on the whole album. 'Set Your Compass' is lovely. I think there's an awful lot of good music on here.

How is this one viewed here now?

I don't remember much but "Set Your Compass" is sooooo sublime...Must revist!!!

Always loved 'Set your Compass', and the two blending tracks toward the end, don't remember the name of the first, but the 2nd is 'Howl'. Also 'Linda' is a really nice little tune as well, as is the 'progressive blues' instrumental that follows it. I actually like it more than the two albums that followed it. (Tunnel's Mouth & Beyond The Shrouded...) though he's pretty consistent these days.

Agreed, very overlooked album from my perspective. I think it is another great one.

I seem to recall at the time that the criticisms of Wild Orchids were about length ("too long") and focus ("all over the map" - a curious criticism since this in itself is hardly unusual for SH).

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    It's a great one.

This and To Watch The Storms are the pinnacle of SH's later career IMO.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I prefer To Watch The Storms which has a lot more highlights. This one, while consistent, doesn't have a lot that I find memorable other than the wonderful She Moves in Memories.

^Interesting. That song was one I found a pointless inclusion as it's essentially just an instrumental version of 'To A Close'.

I would agree that 'To Watch The Storms' is a more even and appealing (and, really, better) album, but I did grow to rather like the sprawl of this one too. I've never sequenced it to follow the standard edition...I have the one with the four extra tracks inserted into it.

I forgot about 'Man In A Long Black Coat'...this is the 2nd 'prog' cover version of this track I have, ELP did it on 'In The Hot Seat'. This one has more of the mood of the original version really...I do love the bluesy guitar intro here.

Reviewed at AAJ back when it came out...

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Just read John's review and it seems I have little to no memory of most of this album. I will have to pull it from the stacks and "revisit" it!

Long-time Hackett fan, and saw him live lots over this period, but never bought the albums.
    Listening to this for the first time now and loving it!
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg