Thread: The Psychedelic Furs

The Psychedelic Furs

They're not very psychedelic are they... pretty good band though. I picked up an early compilation, All Of This And Nothing. After you get over the fact they aren't in fact psychedelic they are a good listen. It took me 25 years to get over that fact, however.

Back in 1980, I was at a Wherehouse music store and saw the P. Furs first album (it was just released) and the cover, band name and song titles captivated me so much that I bought it (even though I had never heard anything by them) and I loved that first album and few more after that, I saw them live 3 or 4 times back in the 80's, once they played at Magic Mountain (Seven Flags theme park) and I saw them there as well.

And while I agree with you about them NOT being a psychedelic band, I challenge anyone to listen to the mesmerizing guitars in Imitation of Christ and NOT hear the psychedelic guitar interludes...!

I only have one album by them, Talk Talk Talk, which I've always thought was a great record. That's the one with the original version of Pretty In Pink on it. Some good songs on that one. And I also remember liking Love My Way, which was one of those songs MTV played into the ground in the early days.

One of the more interesting cover tunes I've heard in recent years was Gary Windo's version of Dumb Waiters (it actually dates from the mid 80's, but wasn't released until the early 90's, but I didn't actually hear it until about 4 or 5 years ago). Kinda surprised me, until I found out he had actually toured with them back in the early 80's.

yeah i had Talk Talk Talk, and saw them on that tour and they were pretty killer even though sort of unknown overall. i don't think i ever had another psy furs after this one rekkid though. i sort of remember their next one as being pretty good but i just never picked it up . so a bowie sort of vocalist with new wavey gritty rock. good stuff fer shure.
    Last edited by yogibear; 01-09-2013 at 05:32 PM.

I miss the Psych Furs! What a great band they were. Nice to see some love going out to them here in this thread.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Talk Talk Talk and Forever Now are classics. Mirror Moves is pretty worthwhile too, but I thought there was a pretty sharp decline in quality after that (feel free to disagree). The re-recorded version of “Pretty in Pink” (for the soundtrack) can’t hold a candle to the original off of TTT.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Jo Ann Walker”-Triumvirat/À la carte

Yes I love them too, especially the first two albums. Richard Butlers vocals are I think perfect for the edgy music. I never thought of them as psych even with the name, they were just a part of the post punk New Wave scene to us over here, and they were very good live too.

The Psychedelic Furs were probably amongst the best new wave bands never to be big. Their first two albums are classics of the style.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Great Band. I try to catch them every time I can. I remember seeing them at the old Spectrum in Philly during the mid 80s. Does anyone know if they plan to put out a new album anytime soon? It has been a while.

Library Jon

All Of This And Nothing is the only recording i have by them and it made me a fan. Love the sax and vocals. It always takes me back in time to some good memories.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Ghost In You is one of the very best pop tunes ever penned! Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Talk Talk Talk and Forever Now are classics. Mirror Moves is pretty worthwhile too, but I thought there was a pretty sharp decline in quality after that (feel free to disagree).
    I would disagree, I think that Book Of Days was a fine album as well.