Thread: Harmonium: s/t Classic Reissues LP

Harmonium: s/t Classic Reissues LP

Extraordinary.

So glad I finally decided to grab this. I know it was cut from a digital transfer, but given that said transfer was flat from the master tapes, it really shines. The vinyl is just amazing. Flat and silent. Completely worth it and I also grabbed the second album, which will soon get a spin.

Now I'm even more curious about their version of Giant's AtT.

It lacks some analog life, but the tonality makes up for it. Without even comparing yet I know from listening to this album a whole lot that my Celebration LP is too bright compared to this, and I always throught the Polydor CD sounded dehissed and bright.

I actually have even more sympathy for the debut album, even if 5è Saison is an all-around better album...

Altough I was in Toronto in 74, that album had an enormous impact on me... Fourth or fifth album bought .... got major amount of spins... All the kids at my French school did as well...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The debut Harmonium is every bit as amazing as the following two, no matter how "prog" it may or may not be. The outstanding songwriting, the fluid interplay and some of the greatest vox ever in 70s "progressive" is firmly in place. Altogether I think it's rather strange why this one isn't just as appreciated with "our" crowd as the other two (although I know "non-prog" folks who obviously love this one but think the double album stinks), seeing how all three of them are basically very different from each other; the only shallow aspect rendering Saisons an alleged "prog" record is the friggin' 'tron, for Pete's sake.

Thx for the heads up, Jeff. I'll try tracking down this reissue.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The debut Harmonium is every bit as amazing as the following two, no matter how "prog" it may or may not be.
    I admit I'm partial to Cinq Saisons, but the debut is indeed excellent and deserves more attention.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Anyone familiar with Premier Ciel? French band that only does Harmonium. I'm going to see them next month in Quebec.

The debut Harmonium is every bit as amazing as the following two, no matter how "prog" it may or may not be. The outstanding songwriting, the fluid interplay and some of the greatest vox ever in 70s "progressive" is firmly in place. Altogether I think it's rather strange why this one isn't just as appreciated with "our" crowd as the other two (although I know "non-prog" folks who obviously love this one but think the double album stinks), seeing how all three of them are basically very different from each other; the only shallow aspect rendering Saisons an alleged "prog" record is the friggin' 'tron, for Pete's sake.
    I never fell in with the prog crowd on this, as I think the debut is their best work. I think this is mostly down to how I hear music, in that I really enjoy the components that make what we all hear as "prog," but songwriting, arrangement, melody ... these are things I find more important. The debut is simply off the charts in every aspect of these most important factors for me.

Thx for the heads up, Jeff. I'll try tracking down this reissue.
    Not the easiest task, I'm afraid. I tried to order from Classic Reissues directly, but while their system appears to be capable of handling orders outside Canada, it would not allow me to enter any other country. I filled out their Contact form and asked about shipment to the US, but received no response so I don't know if it went through. Their stuff is on eBay and what not, but I bought the two Harmonium albums through an Amazon.Ca Marketplace seller.

That's funny, as i'd just had a massive Harmonium binge yesterday including the debut. That led me to check out youtube and i was pleasantly surprised to see this:

Last edited by Troopers For Sound; 12-22-2012 at 04:37 PM.

I too love the first album the most. Serge Fiori's voice was a tremendous instrument. It's a shame he withdrew from music. In the early to mid 70s in Toronto it must have been CHUM-FM which played the title track to the first album which compelled me to buy it and I have always loved it. Our exposure to francophone music in Toronto was limited to the odd track the FM stations would play or the odd Montreal emigré who would suggest Maneige other interesting bands. I always considered myself lucky to have been exposed to it. It wouldn't happen today with corporate radio. Cue the old guy lamenting how things have changed... Great disc.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth8446 View Post
    I too love the first album the most. Serge Fiori's voice was a tremendous instrument. It's a shame he withdrew from music. In the early to mid 70s in Toronto it must have been CHUM-FM which played the title track to the first album which compelled me to buy it and I have always loved it. Our exposure to francophone music in Toronto was limited to the odd track the FM stations would play or the odd Montreal emigré who would suggest Maneige other interesting bands. I always considered myself lucky to have been exposed to it. It wouldn't happen today with corporate radio. Cue the old guy lamenting how things have changed... Great disc.

mmmhhh!!!!... some of those vocal harmonies are a little 'iffy" in Vieilles Courroie"... My personal fave is Attends-Moi... astounding lyrics...

Yeah, Toronto would have to wait until 76 to see a lot more Québecois presence, once all these firms moved away from from Mtl in rataliation to PQ' victory... But it had little impact on the airwaves... Even Mahogany Rush was hardly ever played...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    mmmhhh!!!!... some of those vocal harmonies are a little 'iffy" in Vieilles Courroie"...
    Not really. It's just very tough stuff and they keep it organic instead of overdoing the studio wizardry.

One of the most beautiful songs ever written by anyone. Breathtaking.

this thread confused the hell out of me until I realized that it wasn't about Harmonia