Thread: Hackett solos

Hackett solos

Been a fan of Hackett since his Genesis years, and having bought all of his solo outputs, I've just started to realize that I'm not enjoying his guitar solos as much as in the past. In my opinion, in his Genesis years his guitar playing was much more melodic. Nowadays his solos are great, no doubt, but less and less melodic and more agressive in style. Maybe I'm getting old and many of you like the way he is playing today, specially in his last four or five records where there is an assured solo in almost every song, but I wonder if having Roger King as his keyboard player and let him do some of his stuff, instead of having a guitar solo in every song, would change the somewhat similar structure of his music and give a new perspective to his compositions. This is not a criticism of his music (by the way I think Wolflight is his best to date), but just how i'm feeling after many of years of enoying one of the greats in Prog Rock history.
    Last edited by gilawi; 04-07-2015 at 07:21 PM.

This is probably true to some extent (more aggressive style) but he still has some gems, for instance Serpentine Song has a beautiful solo in it.

His solo at the end of "Supper's Ready" on the last tour was incredible -- maybe the best I've ever seen. But I get what you're saying. He seems to be increasingly in love with the kaleidoscope of sounds he gets out of his Fernandez guitar and effects setup, often to a fault. But for a guy his age I have no complaints (see: Steve Howe).
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Huge Hackett fan of course---ordered the new one--didn't get it yet but doubt I will think it's his best as from what I've heard it sounds similar to what he's been up to the last several years----but hope to be wrong about this---and agree 100% with flowerking---love Serpentine Song and the guitar solo is absolutely beautiful.

This may be extreme to a certain extent, but I think that Hackett is almost beyond criticism at this point. As I've said in another thread, Steve in his mid 60s is still trying to make music and create performances that are amongst the best in his career. There are very few that he can be compared to in that respect. When I was listening to the new album, I had a fleeting thought that it would have been interesting to hear a different vocalist on a few tracks. I like Steve's voice (much improved from the early days), but it sometimes has a general sameness about it. Then I thought better of it and was ultimately happy about the quality of the overall album. Gotta love Steve. He is a pro and is obviously very passionate about his art.

I am also loving the solos on recent albums. This goes back a ways, but "twice around the sun" is brilliance

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    His solo at the end of "Supper's Ready" on the last tour was incredible -- maybe the best I've ever seen. But I get what you're saying. He seems to be increasingly in love with the kaleidoscope of sounds he gets out of his Fernandez guitar and effects setup, often to a fault. But for a guy his age I have no complaints (see: Steve Howe).
    Also, I think he's simply a much better guitarist than he was in Genesis (after 40 years I'd hope so) and so, while he tries to maintain some of what made him so appealing, he's also moved on. Pat Metheny has fallen under similar fire from his fans for being less intrinsically melodic and more chops-heavy and complexity-laden than during his glory days. The same could be said: Hess grown, he's evolved and he's a better guitarist than he was when he release Pat Metheny Group in 1978. Compisitiinally he's become more interested in complex forms, and his playing has become more challenging in response.

I tend to think of musicians that mean a lot to me as being on a lifelong journey, and that means they cannot be what they once were and, at the same time, evolve. I ask getting ready to review Wolflight, but without wanting to give too much away agree it's perhaps Hackett's best to date ... certainly jus best since his early solo albums. And part of that is his evolution as a writer, part of it his evolution as a guitarist. With the GR tour he proved capabl of the signatures that made us love him in his early days while, at the same time, showing a penchant for growth that makes him worth following.

He may be a more overtly virtuosic player than he was with Genesis...but that's largely because he can be. But I still don't think he sacrifices who he his for flagrant pyrotechnics, and so for me it's hard to do anything but actually like him even more now than I did then.

Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Also, I think he's simply a much better guitarist than he was in Genesis (after 40 years I'd hope so) and so, while he tries to maintain some of what made him so appealing, he's also moved on. Pat Metheny has fallen under similar fire from his fans for being less intrinsically melodic and more chops-heavy and complexity-laden than during his glory days. The same could be said: Hess grown, he's evolved and he's a better guitarist than he was when he release Pat Metheny Group in 1978. Compisitiinally he's become more interested in complex forms, and his playing has become more challenging in response.

I tend to think of musicians that mean a lot to me as being on a lifelong journey, and that means they cannot be what they once were and, at the same time, evolve. I ask getting ready to review Wolflight, but without wanting to give too much away agree it's perhaps Hackett's best to date ... certainly jus best since his early solo albums. And part of that is his evolution as a writer, part of it his evolution as a guitarist. With the GR tour he proved capabl of the signatures that made us love him in his early days while, at the same time, showing a penchant for growth that makes him worth following.

He may be a more overtly virtuosic player than he was with Genesis...but that's largely because he can be. But I still don't think he sacrifices who he his for flagrant pyrotechnics, and so for me it's hard to do anything but actually like him even more now than I did then.

Just my thoughts.
    Agree with you. His guitar playing, his writing and compositional skills are much better now than let's say 20 years ago. But besides my feelings regarding his more agressive guitar style in his last records (that I still like to some extent), I think too that he should let other members of his group be on the center stage in his music. Maybe is his style of writing, but when was the last time we heard some sort of solo by the keyboard or bass player. His music is usually gravitates to a guitar solo (and that is not bad been the kind of player he is), but I would like more of interaction with other players like, for example, Camel, where Latimer can play a beautiful solo followed by a great keyboard or flute solo in many of his songs. Again, I love Hackett's music, and as I said, Wolflight is my favorite among many of his great recordings, but that was a thought that ran through my mind while listening Wolflight.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    His solo at the end of "Supper's Ready" on the last tour was incredible
    Apparently, I'm the only person who feels this way, but I didn't like that solo on Supper's Ready much. There were bits that I liked, but also bits I didn't. Hard to explain, other than to say I remember Gabriel saying that Steve was into melody and "atmospheres" more than "notes". At least on the night I saw him, the As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs solo was very much a "notes" kind of solo.

That was just about the only thing (apart from the relative absence of 12 string throughout the night) about that show I didn't like. Everything else was stunning, including the rest of Supper's Ready.

His solo on Neal Morse's ? album is the closest iv'e heard to Firth of Fifth in the context of 'spine tingling'!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    Steve in his mid 60s is still trying to make music and create performances that are amongst the best in his career. There are very few that he can be compared to in that respect.
    So, in other words, you somehow believe that most lifelong musicians on reaching their mid-60s are not "trying to make music and create performances that are amongst the best in his career"? Only Hackett and perhaps a handful others? Who and what are your average comparisons here - are they all from within the 'box of progs'?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    His solo on Neal Morse's ? album is the closest iv'e heard to Firth of Fifth in the context of 'spine tingling'!!!
    Yeah, that is a brilliant solo. Instantly recognizable as Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    So, in other words, you somehow believe that most lifelong musicians on reaching their mid-60s are not "trying to make music and create performances that are amongst the best in his career"? Only Hackett and perhaps a handful others? Who and what are your average comparisons here - are they all from within the 'box of progs'?
    Well the only other Genesis member that seems to be writing music of this calabre is Tony Banks, who only seems to release an album every 8 years or so. Same goes for most 70s prog artists I suppose. I don't know, I'm not in my 60s yet, but maybe a lot of artists lose energy when they get older? So kudos to those who keep trying.

I like the solo in 'Sierra Quemada' quite a bit. Even though Steve is a better player now, esp. on acoustic guitar, I think it would help him even more to do albums with a composer like Tony Banks, Steve playing Tony's beautiful melodies seems like a great idea. Worked well in classic tracks like 'Firth of Fifth'.

Should be receiving the new album any day now.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    This may be extreme to a certain extent, but I think that Hackett is almost beyond criticism at this point.
    I admire the way Steve has stepped things up in recent years and he still generally does good work, but I can't agree with this- that way lies fanboy madness IMHO.

There's also something to be said for the Billy Joel approach, of knowing when you've done your best work and just stopping, rather than just plodding on and phoning it in.

Oh, and I agree 'Twice Around The Sun' is something special. Listening back to the rest of 'Darktown' now I think it's patchier than I remember, whilst 'Guitar Noir' is better than I remember. There's a lovely song on the latter 'Tristesse' which I forgot all about.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-08-2015 at 10:46 AM.

I received "Wolflight" yesterday and listened to the first half. Steve will always be an auto buy for me. While the songs were pretty good they didn't excite me a great deal on first listen. Steve's playing is wonderful but I think he needs a bit more help in song writing. I don't really think this was his best but certainly one of his best. I agree with others that his guitar solos aren't as melodic as they once were. That said I think it is wonderful that he continues to write new material. His supporting band is very good but I think he needs someone in his band to challenge him the way Tony Banks use to. Just my two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbytheriver View Post
    I received "Wolflight" yesterday and listened to the first half. Steve will always be an auto buy for me. While the songs were pretty good they didn't excite me a great deal on first listen. Steve's playing is wonderful but I think he needs a bit more help in song writing. I don't really think this was his best but certainly one of his best. I agree with others that his guitar solos aren't as melodic as they once were. That said I think it is wonderful that he continues to write new material. His supporting band is very good but I think he needs someone in his band to challenge him the way Tony Banks use to. Just my two cents worth.
    Also, Tony Banks I think would use Steve's best material-such as 'Entangled' and 'Blood On The Rooftops', both of which Tony said were personal favorites of his from each album. I honestly think they could challenge each other, but... just a dream I suppose

As much as I have listened to "Everyday"(countless times), that solo starting @ 3 mins never gets old....Sooooooooooooo good

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    As much as I have listened to "Everyday"(countless times), that solo starting @ 3 mins never gets old....Sooooooooooooo good
    heh... just happened to play this yesterday and I concur
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

"Everyday" is one of his best.
    It's got my 2nd favorite Hackett guitar-solo, following Firth of Fifth of course.

after I bought Guitar Noir I stopped buying his albums, figuring he had jumped the shark

Voyage, Spectral, Defector, Highly Strung were all excellent and mostly instrumental with just some vocals sprinkled in here and there. Has he returned to that MO on his latest albums or does every tune have vocals like Guitar Noir??
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I am with those who think his guitar style is better today than it was back in Genesis. Personally I like his more "aggressive" stuff along with the melodic.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    after I bought Guitar Noir I stopped buying his albums, figuring he had jumped the shark

Voyage, Spectral, Defector, Highly Strung were all excellent and mostly instrumental with just some vocals sprinkled in here and there. Has he returned to that MO on his latest albums or does every tune have vocals like Guitar Noir??
    IMO, Darktown is his strongest vocally and his best since Defector..Check out this tune

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    And it's the template for every solo Mike Holmes has ever played.

(I kid, I kid!)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I miss seeing Steve with a more jazzy drummer. I miss the sound of the analog keys that were so prevalent in 1970's works.
    I miss Steve's music supported by a really great vocalist. Steve sounds great, love his tone and diversity of playing styles. Love all of it. Just wishing I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

Too many songs have vocals. The all-instrumental studio albums (of which he has four, plus the one doing the music of Satie ) are strictly acoustic, with some flute and occasional keyboard. Although I will say, 'Beyond The Shrouded Horizon', the 2nd disc is mostly instrumental which is cool. Beyond that, he'll have a couple instrumentals per album. Of the latest phase, 'To Watch The Storms' is my favorite, but again, a lot of vocals. I haven't heard the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    Agree with you. His guitar playing, his writing and compositional skills are much better now than let's say 20 years ago. But besides my feelings regarding his more agressive guitar style in his last records (that I still like to some extent), I think too that he should let other members of his group be on the center stage in his music. Maybe is his style of writing, but when was the last time we heard some sort of solo by the keyboard or bass player. His music is usually gravitates to a guitar solo (and that is not bad been the kind of player he is), but I would like more of interaction with other players like, for example, Camel, where Latimer can play a beautiful solo followed by a great keyboard or flute solo in many of his songs. Again, I love Hackett's music, and as I said, Wolflight is my favorite among many of his great recordings, but that was a thought that ran through my mind while listening Wolflight.
    Fair enough, though I guess my question would be this: does he / will he give them some space when he takes the music on the road?

Sometimes (not always) when it comes to recording, artists choose not to make their songs "solo fests" as they feel they don't hold up well on record in the long term, but live they open them up for more soloing from other members of the band. At least that's the case in the pop/prog/rock world; in the jazz world it's a different story...though, that said, I have seen a similar approach in the jazz world at times, too.

So I think the test of what you are saying will be how the tour goes...having not heard anything yet (has the tour even started yet?)… if he continues to not just take the lion's share of the solos (which is both fair enough and expected; most folks are, after all, largely paying $$ to heat Hackett play) but all of them, without giving his band mates room for featuree, then it's a fairer assessment, IMO; if, on the other hand, he does open the songs up for more then it just might be about restricting the solo space on the studio record. And with said restrictions, it's not totally unusual for the leader to, if he/she is a soloist, to occupy most if not all the space.

If he'a out already and anyone has seen him' any comments?
    Cheers!
    John