Thread: Hackett - UK album chart

Hackett - UK album chart

According to the UK album chart news -

"Legendary guitarist and singer-songwriter Steve Hackett is heading for an eighth Top 40 album with Wolflight new at Number 21, while Canadian rockers Godspeed You! Black Emperor are in with a chance of their first – Asunder Sweet And Other Distress is at Number 30 today."

By my reckoning if you exclude Genesis related releases this will be the first time since the Eighties he has bothered the upper echelons of the charts. I'll admit I did not think it would happen, I thought without the Genesis banner it would be back to maybe tickling the top 100 if lucky. It will probably drop a few places when tomorrows chart is announced but still this is good news.
    Also good to see that Godspeed look like charting.

agreed - good news for Steve, looking forward to hearing some new music. Hoping his tour is successful, it will be nice to hear some solo material this time around.

Is this the all-encompassing UK chart? Like our "Billboard Top 200" in the US? If so that is good news indeed. Probably the result of the Genesis Revisited touring.

I mentioned this on the 'Wolflight' thread a few days ago. Yes it is the main album chart, but it was the midweek so tomorrow's final chart may be lower. However it's holding up in Amazon's overall chart. I too thought it wouldn't sell much without the Genesis name but I was wrong.

I remember when 'Wild Orchids' came out and he seemed to me to have a very low profile for a member of such a famous group, where only a relatively small amount of people seemed to be aware of his work. Now he has widened awareness of what he's doing by touring the Genesis material, and he's done a PR push this week with seemingly well-attended signings in British record stores. The turnaround in the last few years has been dramatic and I'm pleased for him.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-04-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Very nice to note this.

A bit sad still that it doesn't really imply selling "a lot" to enter the charts anymore, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Steve was selling more CD's than Madonna this week----which if I didn't know it was true would think it was an April fools joke---the chart is dated April 1.
    Very Happy for Steve and look forward to the CD.

And the final position was 31. So he didn't quite manage to stay ahead of Madonna.

The Madonna album has only been out a matter of weeks, and I don't think it even made Number 1, so that's quite a drop for her. By contrast I didn't expect Steve to get into the Top 40 at all (his last album 'Beyond The Shrouded Horizon' didn't come close) so anything is a good result.

Are these sales for this one week or do pre-orders made long ago count? I really can't see how the latter works.

Alas the chart website does not mention what it does with pre-orders. I did however learn that streaming counts towards the charts now.

I also discovered you can filter the chart on various factors so if you don't count streaming or only count physical sales then he would have cracked the top 30.
    http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...s-sales-chart/

In bed with Hackett is the title of a newfound superstar's coming-to-terms coffeetablebook featuring nude and lingerie stills and short prose of Hackett's sexual phantasies and wishes.

It starts playing some hot sympho immediately when you turn 'em juicy pages. Produced by Willy.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM