Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First record you ever bought ?

Grand Funk - The Red Album
    Not sure what 45 I first bought, though I remember playing the 'Reelin' in the Years" single gradually while I wrote down the lyrics.

Yes Fragile, gift from my sisters.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

First LP: With the Beatles (at the age of 9). I don't think much of it today - but, well, you can't erase your past!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Yes Fragile, gift from my sisters.

Charles... the thread was asking for the first album YOU bought.... not your sister
    Nuance, mon cher...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Charles... the thread was asking for the first album YOU bought.... not your sister
    Nuance, mon cher...
    ;-) Nuance, indeed! That does make it harder for me, because I already had a small record collection by the time I was 7 or 8, but my mom pretty much had to give me the money to buy the albums. I guess that counts... The first album I remember getting as a gift (age 6) was the Jackson 5's "Goin' Back To Indiana," which was the soundtrack album to a TV show that I had recently seen. But the first album I actually went and chose for myself out of the bins (with money my mom gave me) was Steppenwolf 7 at the local Osco drug store. That album had only been out for about two years at that point.

Um.. that is a good question then. I had all the Beatles albums, along with Cream, Hendrix, Humble Pie, Blood Sweat Tears, Chicago, etc. from my older sisters available to me from as long as I can remember. At some point, they asked me if I wanted an album for my Birthday, and it was Yes Fragile, followed by Close to the Edge for Xmas. I then remember a lot of albums coming quickly... Yes Relayer because it was new, then this compilation called Heavy Metal on Ktel, I still have it.

first two albums that I bought with my own money at a store new were at the same time as I recall.
    McCartney and Wings-- Band on the Run
    Chicago V

around Christmas 1973 with some bday $$

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    ;-) Nuance, indeed! That does make it harder for me, because I already had a small record collection by the time I was 7 or 8, but my mom pretty much had to give me the money to buy the albums. I guess that counts... The first album I remember getting as a gift (age 6) was the Jackson 5's "Goin' Back To Indiana," which was the soundtrack album to a TV show that I had recently seen. But the first album I actually went and chose for myself out of the bins (with money my mom gave me) was Steppenwolf 7 at the local Osco drug store. That album had only been out for about two years at that point.

Mmmhh!!!... I had tons of bad quality tapesfilled with Beatles ans Stones (buddies taped them for me) before I bought COTC... I'd never actually bought anything before that Sept 74...

But I had two real rock albums at my disposition: Stand Up (my dad bought it for Bourée) and the Haïr Broadway musical soundtrack
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    compilation called Heavy Metal on Ktel, I still have it.
    Is that the one with "Starship Trooper"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    Is that the one with "Starship Trooper"?
    Yes!

It was the 45 of either 'DOA' by Bloodrock, or 'Ballad of Amos Moses' by Jerry Reed in the 1970-71 time period. I believe I got it for having a good report card. My first album was Beatles - 'Let It Be' around the same time.

The first album I ever bought was today's featured CD, "Death Walks Behind You" by Atomic Rooster, back in 1971 (I thimk).

The first single I bought was "Ride a White Swan" by T.Rex... but my parents had bought me "Shapes of Things" by The Yardbirds for my 10th birthday (I know this because they also bought me a date stamper, and I stamped the date on the record).

The first was actually three purchased at the same time back in 1972
    Mercator Project-East of Eden
    Quatermass-Same
    Rides Again-James Gang

Cream - Wheels of Fire (circa 1968/69)

Oldest album that I still have - Led Zeppelin - 1969

Don't know, probably something as a present or some country or rock n roll collection. I was buying lots of secondhand stuff years before I ever bought anything new.

This is a story I've shared before ... first record was Ummagumma, purchased for a quarter from a neighbor's garage sale! I was around 8 years old. Didn't know the first thing about Pink Floyd or prog-rock. I just remember I liked the cover and the song titles. I remember sitting mesmerized in front of my cheap little record player -- and then getting the willies when Roger Waters screamed on "Careful With That Axe, Eugene."

Meet The Beatles

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Dark Side of the Moon.

First album as a gift: Diamond Girl, Seals and Crofts

First album I bought: What Were Once Vices are Now Habits, Doobie Brothers - Still love it!

single - Sweet: "Fox On the Run"
    album - Kiss : Destroyer
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Lino
    Genesis Live

formerly known as thejak
    Metallica - Master of Puppets

I was 16, and bought it with money an uncle of mine gave me for my birthday and I walked (I wouldn't take the bus not to spend any money) with my then best friend something like 5 km (3 miles) to buy it.

Needless to say I still have it and love it very much and IMO it's not only the best Metallica album but one of the best Metal (or Rock, by the way) albums ever!
    "When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." Bruce Springsteen

45- probably The Beatles-She Loves You 59cents? in Woolworths I do remember 5 packs of 45's being sold in Woolworths $1.14 ? LP's - I bought 3 in EJ Korvettes Early Beatles, The Supremes Greatest Hits and the Association Greatest Hits....looking to get a little bang for my buck back then!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Genesis Live
    It was an early one for me too, for sure. My older brother gave me Genesis Live as a Christmas gift in either 1975 or 1976.

I can't say for sure what my first one. I think it was Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 01-07-2013 at 09:49 PM.