Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just saw ELP's Trilogy to be in 5.1

The footage of them rehearsing in the Manticore Documentary (early 1973) shows him using a Ludwig kit:

hqdefault.jpg

I think the collapse of the stage due to the weight of the kit, bells, timps, gongs and the rotating stand it was all on (2.5 tons) was in Liverpool, late April 1974, the stage at the Empire Theater couldn't support it. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened other places too.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    The footage of them rehearsing in the Manticore Documentary (early 1973) shows him using a Ludwig kit:

hqdefault.jpg

I think the collapse of the stage due to the weight of the kit, bells, timps, gongs and the rotating stand it was all on (2.5 tons) was in Liverpool, late April 1974, the stage at the Empire Theater couldn't support it. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened other places too.
    And didja notice Keith telling Carl to speed up then slow down at the 4:25 mark, thus suggesting that it was keith that wanted the variant in tempo?

Nahh, that can't be it.

Bob

We now have the new edition in stock:

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/trilogy-2cddvd

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post

That's very nice of you to promote Amazon's price on your site, Ken. ;-)

Hah! Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post

Very nice! I will definitely be ordering this one.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I've also found that there are only two opinions regarding the song "Pirates" from Works, Vol 1. Fans either think it's the greatest thing ever or despise it. I've yet to find anyone in the middle. I guess it depends on whether you like big Broadway musicals or not.
    I think Pirates offered a glimpse, perhaps, of the potential future of prog-rock; the orchestra rocks so hard on this track, I think the music is absolutely sublime throughout, and I love the cinematic nature of the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    As far as I know, no. SW just stated that he liked the first two albums but lost interest in ELP beyond that point, so he declined to do those. I seem to remember he had some interaction with Lake, but I don't recall reading any account of a falling out. Certainly his interaction wasn't so close it prevented the inclusion of what turned out not to be a ELP-related track at all, on the initial pressing of the "Tarkus" reissue.
    I remember SW saying something to the effect of, "I can't put 100% into a remix if I am not 100% into the music."

That was an "aha!" moment for me because I finally realized why PT or SW solo never really hit me super-hard.

I've listened to the PT and SW stuff and I just don't care for it. It somehow lacks passion in my opinion. Pirates...absolutely love it..Lake's vocals are legendary on that track.

Quote Originally Posted by Leibowitz View Post
    I've listened to the PT and SW stuff and I just don't care for it. It somehow lacks passion in my opinion. Pirates...absolutely love it..Lake's vocals are legendary on that track.
    ^^^^Kinda agree with this. The thing about PT & SW is the vocals . SW has a monotone voice that makes listening to him somewhat
    depressing!!!!

Trilogy on the shop shelves today - just picked up my copy.

Same packaging as BSS.

*****SPOILER ALERT******

Had my first listen today, although I don't have 5.1 The new stereo mix is interesting, I tend to look for anomalies, and all I can say is......check out `Living Sin' ! Some hitherto missing lyrics, and even a section of music never heard before....not that you'd know from the abysmal sleeve-notes by Chris Welch (Yes we KNOW ELP made their debut at the Isle Of Wight and fired off cannons FFS!). I don't even know if the version of `Living Sin' Jakko used was a mistake or an intentional surprise...it does seem that we fans know more about these albums than the people who are given the job of reworking them.

The only official bonus track is a different version of `From The Beginning', which is basically the same but with a different Moog solo at the end. Jakko is quoted in the sleeve notes as saying he had dozens of reels of takes etc, (including versions of Hoedown they tried at different tempos...).which does rather beg the question well why the heck aren't they on this reissue ???

^Would the band allow it? Some artists are not keen on allowing alternate takes out.

Bad typo: "Living Sun"

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Would the band allow it? Some artists are not keen on allowing alternate takes out.
    Well it has become pretty much accepted that works in progress make very interesting bonus tracks, and indeed major selling points to generate $£$£$£ for the band :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    Some hitherto missing lyrics, and even a section of music never heard before
    I wasn't planning to get this, but that sold me!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    There were alternate takes on ELP and Tarkus.

Gave the original mix and the new mix a comparison last night.

To my ears, the new mix smoothes out some of the harshness and there is a noticeable drop in hiss, particularly in the opening track. The heartbeat is more prominent and is in fact Lake playing the bass, not Palmer on drum pedal.

The stereo is perhaps a little more confined in the new mix, and the panning effects are a little different in places, but I found it a pleasure to listen to all the way through. (Used reference quality headphones and sound set to neutral.)

It's possible that this remix is actually a little quieter than the original -setting a new trend? - but I still found myself hearing new layers of instruments.

Worth the upgrade for the new stereo mix. Will try 5.1 mix shortly.

The Enemy God
    I had a quick listen to Living Sin last night but couldn't hear any material differences from the original. Have I missed something. It was via my I Phone whilst travelling so not the best setting , but can some one point me to this alternate version?

Quote Originally Posted by gallen1964 View Post
    Have I missed something. It was via my I Phone whilst travelling so not the best setting , but can some one point me to this alternate version?
    You won't hear much difference in that kind of environment. And you probably won't notice much difference listening to online rips.

Best to listen to the two discs themselves, in a quiet room on headphones - any cd player will do, doesn't need to be state of the art.

Not to derail the thread but if you had to pick just one ELP done is 5.1, what would it be???

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Not to derail the thread but if you had to pick just one ELP done is 5.1, what would it be???
    Well it won't be BSS - wasn't prepared to pay a king's ransom for the deluxe box just to get that one in surround.

The debut album was a bit of a mixed bag in terms of tracks available in 5.1, so for completeness I would opt for Tarkus.

But.....I haven't heard the Trilogy 5.1 yet - hopefully tonight.

Oh, and btw, the Trilogy remixes, 5.1 etc are all by Jakko and not SW.

Quote Originally Posted by gallen1964 View Post
    I had a quick listen to Living Sin last night but couldn't hear any material differences from the original. Have I missed something. It was via my I Phone whilst travelling so not the best setting , but can some one point me to this alternate version?
    Basically what happens in the new version of Living Sin is as follows: The vocal take is different, it is in the lower register for longer, there are more lyrics after "that savage woman make you pleased". In both versions there is a chorus starting at 0'53" ("Can't you see through...."). In the old version, this chorus is spliced back in at 2'13". In the new version it is not repeated, and instead there are different instrumental passages until 2'25", where both versions continue with "guess you never saw it coming...". It's only 12 seconds, but a lot can happen in 12 seconds, and anyone who knows the track will easily notice the difference.

Chris Welch states the obvious better than anyone.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Listened to most of the 5.1 mix last night - if I was to use one word to sum it up it would be 'fun'.

All the original elements are still in the mix, but some become more prominent than others as the sound actively moves around and across each speaker.

Vocals and piano are particularly prominent across all the pieces.

I certainly enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Listened to most of the 5.1 mix last night - if I was to use one word to sum it up it would be 'fun'.
    This sounds very encouraging. Thanks for your review. "Fun" isn't a term I would have used to describe the BSS 5.1 mix. I had been holding off ordering Trilogy until I saw some reviews. Based on yours and a few others up thread, I've just ordered it.

I'm also looking forward to hearing the "new" version of Living Sin. Was there any discussion in the liner notes on why this song in particular varies from the original?