Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manzanera to get big payday for Kanye/Jay-Z sample of "K-Scope"

i got news for you, some of your favorite musicians are tools.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm not really sure what "spectacle " would be for a rap concert. Lots of turntables and rap "dancers" gesticulating and crisscrossing around on stage?
    get with the times dude. your bigger rap acts have bands, and quite often great ones at that. as far as the show i haven't seen him live but i know people who have and said it was spectacular, you know great visuals, lights, dancers. ymmv certainly something most young people enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    we had something very similar with a track from the band "Man"-- Welsh Connection--a track was picked up for sampling by a number 1 rapper!! quite a pleasant bonus for the writer!!
    Damn good track from their most underrated album. There are actually several grand momentums on that record where you really have to ask yourself why it isn't more acknowledged in the bigger scheme of things as far as 'progressive rock' is concerned. Granted 1976 was a pretty bad year, but the sheer perfectionist coolness of this album is rather fascinating. Lame cover, though!

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I always wonder how some musicians come across these pieces that they sample. I cannot imagine Kanye actually having Manzaneras album. Probably some switched on producer thinking this would be good Kanye!

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    i got news for you, some of your favorite musicians are tools.
    Not on this level.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

you dont know that. kanye opens his yap more than most. lol

you dont know that. kanye opens his yap more than most. lol

....which makes him a tool
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

im sure he has producers who sift through records listening for something they think can work for him or one of his songs. that being said i wouldn't discount how turned on some of the less commercial artsier hip hop artists are. they dont all live in a hip hop vacuum as is imagined by so many. just the way it shocked people that a guy like johnny rotten liked prog including hammill, can, hawkwind etc. many of these rappers know their jazz, soul, mowtown and rock etc. also think about the fact that an album like kscope would surely find its way in used record bins for a buck or two and enterprising artists scoop them up knowing there could be a nugget in there that will make it worth the investment. lots of prog albums to be had on the cheap these days.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Huh?
    get with the times dude. your bigger rap acts have bands, and quite often great ones at that. as far as the show i haven't seen him live but i know people who have and said it was spectacular, you know great visuals, lights, dancers. ymmv certainly something most young people enjoy.
    But his band members are starting to complain that his costumes are getting out of hand.

All these hip hop stars raking in millions should be sued--Kanye grew up listening to all types of music from his mother's influence----he samples Laura Nyro on one of his songs---and I know her kid could use some money--- this kind of stealing is only a good thing if the original artist gets some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazcrim View Post
    I always wonder how some musicians come across these pieces that they sample. I cannot imagine Kanye actually having Manzaneras album. Probably some switched on producer thinking this would be good Kanye!
    A lot of DJs/Producers are totally voracious consumers of music. You'd be surprised at the breadth many of them have where genre doesn't really mean much to them if they can find sounds they like. Someone like Madlib is particularly interesting:

Deltron 3030's first album has a number of samples from William Sheller's Lux Aterna, which is a relatively obscure album for prog fans as it is, let alone anyone else. The best and most creative of these guys are almost like musical archeologists.

The group's debut album Deltron 3030, released on May 23, 2000, is a concept album set in the year 3030 that tells of the fight by Deltron Zero (Del's alter ego) against huge corporations that rule the universe. The lyrics were written in less than two weeks and are characterized by extravagant allusions to futuristic outer-space themes in the tradition of Afrofuturist works by Sun Ra and George Clinton. Many samples originated with the contemporary French classical composer William Sheller
    Certainly sounds proggy to me