Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You Like an Artist's Solo Album, but Not His/Her Main Band

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Didn't Roger O'Donnell (ex-The Cure) do an instrumental album? Or did it end up having vocals?

P.S. Did you get the reissue of Emerald Web's Catspaw?
    No idea...I follow The Cure even less than Depeche Mode Actually, that's not true, I have Disintegration at home now that I think about it...

I sure did get it, and it's very cool. I am hoping that at some point here Finders Keepers does their first LP 'Dragon Wings.'
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    No idea...I follow The Cure even less than Depeche Mode Actually, that's not true, I have Disintegration at home now that I think about it...

I sure did get it, and it's very cool. I am hoping that at some point here Finders Keepers does their first LP 'Dragon Wings.'
    Disintegration. There's a flashback. I remember when those songs were all over FM and that one channel.

Finders Keepers did reissue DW&WT on LP. Do you mean if they'll do a CD? I don't think they're going to. They've done three so far, all on LP. I'd like them to do CDs, too. Darren at Anodize says they don't intend to do any other Web reissues. He must just like Catspaw. A proper CD resurrection is owed to Aqua Regia, which IMO is their best one.

Whoa, hold up....when did I miss DW&WT? Off to eBay I go...

Edit: damn, didn't even need eBay. Amazon hooked me up, with Prime even. Can't believe I overlooked this; must be slipping in my old age

(thanks!)
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Better late than never is what I always say. That was the first one, in 2011 (wow, time is flyin'). Wait till you hear "Flight of the Raven." I still can't believe Catspaw got reissued. I thought nobody would touch that one.

Edit: I found an old email where Doug at FK says they do intend to reissue DW&WT on CD.
    Last edited by dropforge; 03-26-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Better late than never is what I always say. That was the first one, in 2011 (wow, time is flyin'). Wait till you hear "Flight of the Raven." I still can't believe Catspaw got reissued. I thought nobody would touch that one.

Edit: I found an old email where Doug at FK says they do intend to reissue DW&WT on CD.
    Hey, I'll take a CD if they make it happen...but I'm good with the vinyl as well

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    My brother knew a guy from concerts he would attend who was big into alternative stuff but not really prog rock. He was however a big fan of Jon Anderson's solo work but not much of a YES fan at all. That always seemed weird to me.

I can imagine there are fans of Steve Wilson, Peter Gabriel, Neal Morse and Peter Hammill who don't like the bands they are associated with.
    My wife likes Yes and Genesis okay, but LOVES Jon Anderson's solo material (Toltec, City of Angels and Earthmotherearth, specifically) and Peter Gabriel's solo material, especially Up and Us.

I prefer Hammill's Chameleon, Silent Corner, and In Camera to VdGG's Godbluff, Still Life, and World Record, and Squire's Fish Out of Water to Yes's Close To the Edge.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Love Eno's early solos. Taking Tiger Mountain, Before and After Science, Another Green World, Here Come the Warm Jets. Not a Roxy fan at all.

Even though I am somewhat of a P-Tree fan, I like Wilson's solo releases much better.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Tetsuo Sakari over Casiopea
    Howland/Imboden Project over Chicago
    Steve Lukather over TOTO
    Alain Caron maybe equal to UZEB
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I like Trevor Rabin's Can't Look Away better than most of what he did with Yes (but I do like most of what he did with Yes)

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I like Trevor Rabin's Can't Look Away better than most of what he did with Yes (but I do like most of what he did with Yes)
    Ditto! Maybe because with CLA, there wasn't the "too many chefs in the kitchen" problem.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Ditto! Maybe because with CLA, there wasn't the "too many chefs in the kitchen" problem.
    And I like Jacaranda more than all of that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    And I like Jacaranda more than all of that.
    Jacaranda is great and theoretically it should be more up my alley than Can't Look Away, but it'll never get as much rotation from me as CLA got. I'm not sure I can explain it even to myself, except to say that the tuneage is much more memorable on CLA. I think it's the best Yes West album that they never made and at least as good as any that they did make.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Jacaranda is great and theoretically it should be more up my alley than Can't Look Away, but it'll never get as much rotation from me as CLA got. I'm not sure I can explain it even to myself, except to say that the tuneage is much more memorable on CLA. I think it's the best Yes West album that they never made and at least as good as any that they did make.
    I know what you're saying. I like Can't Look Away a lot, too. Rabin is so underrated among prog fans, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I can't bring myself to think of Joe Walsh as an integral part of the Eagles even though he has been with them for decades now. But he was so well established prior to hooking up with them it doesn't seem like it counts. To me the spirit of the thread is guys who are in bands that you don't really like and then they do something independent and you find you do like that, not guys you like that wind up joining crappy bands.

I agree, Joe solo is his own thing. He "just happens" to be in The Eagles. They'd never record anything like "The Confessor."

While I enjoyed Journey's first album.. I have a few of Neil Schon's solo albums that I favor over much of the Perry era for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    While I enjoyed Journey's first album.. I have a few of Neil Schon's solo albums that I favor over much of the Perry era for sure..
    The first three are actually good.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    The first three are actually good.
    I also have Next which as I recall has some nice stuff on it your right.. never owned Look into the Future..

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I prefer any of the Traveling Wilburys as a solo artist to the group. Well, maybe not Dylan so much, ...
    Not a good candidate. TW was a brief "supergroup" or "project" for guys who already had careers as solo artists. I'm looking for established bands where a member goes off to do a solo album or two, i.e. Jon Anderson's "Olias of Sunhillow" vs. Yes; Keith Richards' "Talk is Cheap" vs. the Rolling Stones; Ace Frehley's s/t album vs. Kiss, etc.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Actually Ace could almost count, but not quite. His solo album was better than Love Gun, that's for sure.

I've found that I'd much rather hear Steven Wilson solo than with Porcupine Tree.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Joe Walsh
    I've been seeing him on a couple of shows on the Palladium channel recently and that guy is badass! I guess I've know it subconsciously for a while, but seeing him performing live just brought it home for me. Normally I'm into musicians who have lots of dazzling chops and harmonic smarts, but he's just got such a great feel and he's so soulful! Great singer too!