Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rest In Peace Daevid Allen

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Shall spin Good Morning this evening as it is the only DA LP I own.
    It's one of his best, and a beautiful way of rejoycing his memory. "Have You Seen My Friend?" and "Wise Man In Your Heart" are among his iconic songs.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have oh so many happy memories of seeing Daevid with the many incarnations of Gong, and countless more of just kicking back and enjoying his other-world view and eternally compelling music, he will be sadly missed but his legacy will live on.

It's a very tough day for me personally to hear this, as my own wonderful Dad sits next to me now in his hospice bed, going through the same unremitting and unforgiving pain and discomfort, as his life force also ebbs away. Two great men and two wonderful inspirational humans, destined to be inextricably linked forever when I spin Daevid's cosmic tunes, which is a very good thing as I spin them often.

Be in peace Daevid, it's a sad day for us pixies, but we will celebrate your life forever with a smile.

Very sad to get the final news.

A big inspiration and someone who walked the walk.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    RIP
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Peace upon you, luminous, star-worn traveler.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Always a joy to hear his music. RIP Daevid.

chalkpie
    Getting together tonight to tear it up with my pals. "You" will be spun in full complete with fog machine. Daevid shall live on! He will be celebrated tonight.

RIP---very sad when a true original passes on.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I love this photo of young Daevid, in front of his family's house.:

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I love this photo of young Daevid, in front of his family's house.
    To be exact, in front of Robert Wyatt's family's house. His own family's house would have been thousands of miles away, in Australia...
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    To be exact, in front of Robert Wyatt's family's house. His own family's house would have been thousands of miles away, in Australia...
    Doh! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    P1000294.JPG

infront of that same gate 45 years later
    Wow - the house had changed a bit!

Had to pause a bit, put on one of my favorite, most inspirational Daevid works - Shapeshifter by Gong, and hold back the tears upon seeing that Daevid has left this plane.

Thank you, Daevid, so very much, for all the joy you've brought to us over these many years. You're truly one of a kind, and I feel so fortunate to have been able to hop on for the journey for over 40 years.

Everyone here at PE has expressed such wonderful sentiments, and I can only say "hear, hear" and go over all the memories of what the albums and shows have meant to me.

My sincere condolences to the family, thank you, as well, for sharing Daevid with us for this wonderful ride. My heart goes out to you...

There will never be another Daevid, but what a legacy he's left us - and in that way, he will always be with us. RIP, indeed, dear Daevid.

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I love this photo of young Daevid, in front of his family's house.:

I used this pic in an article I wrote on Canterbury music many years back. I still think it illustrates a very interesting point as to the cultural identity of Daevid as essentially a pre-hippie wayfarer beatnik and almost a decade older than most of the guys he'd play with.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One of lifes originals and a "true"free spirit -- and I mean that in the nicest sense. RIP Daevid. Will play Good Morning this weekend.

Thank you for You. RIP
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by yahonza View Post
    There will never be another Daevid, but what a legacy he's left us - and in that way, he will always be with us.
    Especially since there's a load of his work - with Gong, solo, and others - that I've yet to hear. I bought all of those Banamoon Obscura CDs and have only listened to a few yet. Plus a lot of other stuff I've yet to get. A treasure trove. I've got a University of Errors DVD I haven't watched yet.

Very sad. Condolences to family and frriends.

RIP Daevid! Hopefully the pixies have taken you home to the planet Gong. Been listening to Daevid and all his music projects for 40 years. One of my favorite artists ever and was glad to see many of his bands live. He has been a deep influence to my music listening and all the various types of music he played. Was glad I went to the unconvention in Amsterdam in 2006!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks for all the great music. Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973