Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Salamander Exhibit

Free Salamander Exhibit

From the ashes of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Still no word on a studio release as far as I know, but there is a nice live set from last year and while the sound isn't perfect, it is way better than a lot of the muddy youtube videos which have been circulating.

https://soundcloud.com/carlkingdom/s...r-exhibit-live

I hope they will release something soon, their website and facebook have been quiet recently.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Thanks for posting, hopefully there'll be a release in the future.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm pretty excited about them. Knowing these fellas, they'll probably do things differently from SGM yet still recall some familiarity.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Different but familar, definitely. The name is even taken from SGM mythology, furthering the sense of continuity. FSE is sonically closer to SGM than SGM was to Idiot Flesh.

I've seen them live twice and they are fantastic.

Certainly an extension of the SGM sound.

An album from them is one of my most anticipated items. Thanks for posting this!

I was fortunate to see their first true live gig, along with mirthKon, and they kill it. I like the characterization of just like SGM, but different. To me they sound a tad heavier and guitar centric, which is not a bad thing at all.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I'm gonna brag and say I already heard a couple rough mixes from this upcoming album. So it exists and is in progress. But I have no idea of their current official plans or schedule...

- Matt

Great to hear

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    I'm gonna brag and say I already heard a couple rough mixes from this upcoming album. So it exists and is in progress. But I have no idea of their current official plans or schedule...

- Matt
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

http://www.webofmimicry.com/store/pr...roducts_id=120

Free Salamander Exhibit "Undestroyed" to be released on 16 December 2016 - how exciting is this??!!

Pre-order at the above link. I'm IN and then some....

Yeah!!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Great Googlymoogly.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Oh yeah! Ordered!

It might also interest some to know that all three SGM albums are getting vinyl reissues on Dec 16 as well

BTW, the title track from this album is flipping outstanding. It has that SGM "DNA" ass-print but it really goes into territory that is familiarly unfamiliar

Nils voice is as great as ever, and I love the fact that he's still playing flute on (at least) this track. Carla's violin is a wee-wee-widdly-fiddly missed, but I think I can man-up and muster the courage to accept that mere fact. There is always an imaginative and mischievous darkness that permeates Nils music that I really connect with (and appreciate), and its certainly not amiss here. Pre-ordered and EXCITED.

^^That is awesome to hear!! I'm going to be a total nerd, and not listen to it, until the whole thing is available, but this just whets my appetite even further!!

neil

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Carla's violin is a wee-wee-widdly-fiddly missed, but I think I can man-up and muster the courage to accept that mere fact.
    Carla's singing and writing style in addition to her violin were a huge addition to SGM, but I really like the title track as well and have pre-ordered the CD.

My wife, being the amazing woman she is, has ordered all 3 SGM releases on vinyl for me for Christmas!

Yeah, that sounds really great
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Slightly different feel than SGM yet very similar! FSE sounds a bit streamlined or 'honed' but man is it ever great. Not a bad song on it and I love the increased presence of the flute. I miss Carla dearly but this is wonderful stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct
    Ian

First spin tonight....holy shit, this is good. As Ian said, not a bad song it. Easily the most consistent album in the 'SGM mold', I'd say. More metal, more riffs, some very interesting arrangements and songs. Great, great stuff. I do miss Carla, but this brings so much to the table, I can deal with it. I sure hope they can tour.

neil
    Last edited by boilk; 12-15-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    BTW, the title track from this album is flipping outstanding. It has that SGM "DNA" ass-print but it really goes into territory that is familiarly unfamiliar
    Frankie, is it a-almost a bit like... L-like N-Neal MORSE!??

[Paid for this just yesterday and am eagerly awaiting this triple slice of elegant neo-sympho pomp release make the mailbox in time for Christ's eve. There'll be footbally repetitive mass-choruses over 30-mins long, multi-sectioned epics of classically simulated bliss mixed with some Hysteria-era Leppard melodics and vocals, greatly gated drums galores and inexplicably intellectual lyrics. Cover has a suit-dressed man holding a briefcase - but missing a face under his hat!! - kinda looking out over a river of bubbly urine carrying a colon-choco pirate ship driven by a mechanical flesh robot donning facial expression with a faint similarity to Walter Mondale in his younger days, with nude women sunbathing on opposite shore, their breasts replaced with jelly fungi, all of them reading totalitarian newspapers with text making no sense (to subtly symbolize the meaninglessness of the material, Godless world) and, as it turns out, this whole location actually just being like in a dream, with a supernovian universe right outside! With indigo spaceship in it, this again just being a display on a large screen - to subversively symbolize the dimensional lie of physical life!]
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 12-15-2016 at 02:52 AM.

In my greedy grubby paws, but still in shrink-wrap. Will rotate later after the footie matches. Even the artwork has the SGM vibe.

[QUOTE=Scrotum Scissor;649322]Frankie, is it a-almost a bit like... L-like N-Neal MORSE!??

Meal Norse: microwaved Finnmark reindeer with homemade lingonberry with Jordan Ruddess beard clippings. SO fucking delicious under the northern lights, of course wearing the traditional Norwegian garb of grass skirt and Bologna bra ( silver dollar shaped Bologna circles just large enough to cover one's man nipples. Delicious.