Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson's latest thoughts on the future of PT

Steven Wilson's latest thoughts on the future of PT

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but in a link on a Facebook Prog Rock page, an interview with Stephen Humphries sheds some pretty specific light on the matter. To wit:

"At this point, it seems to me that your career is a little bit like that of Damon Albarn or Sting—they can occasionally reunite Blur or The Police, but everyone realizes that those are now peripheral projects for them and their main focus is their respective solo careers. Is that a fair parallel?"

'I think those are good parallels. It still frustrates me when people tell me they like my solo record and then in the very next breath they ask, "So, when are you putting Porcupine Tree back together?" But then I think of someone like Peter Gabriel, who's been a solo artist now for 40 years, and people are still asking him when are Genesis getting back together.

It's not a bad thing. It's a flattering thing, because that's how much this music means to these people. Even to my dying day, I will be asked, "When are you putting Porcupine Tree back together?"

It's a very romantic notion that people have about bands in particular. I think being in a band always has a romantic notion to it that's being a solo artist doesn't. I'm talking about in the eyes of the fans now. And so when you step out of a reasonably successful band, it doesn't matter how good your solo work is [because] people always have a nostalgic attachment to the band identity. I accept that, and I'm used to it now. But it is frustrating sometimes that I have to explain to them, four albums into my solo career, that if Porcupine Tree was to get back together—and, by the way, I have never ruled that out—it will be a side project. There should be no question in anyone's mind that this is now my main musical path, my solo work. But I think the Sting analogy is a good one. I guess he still gets asked when The Police are getting back together.'

"During the past five years working exclusively as a solo artist, you've grown musically. So, if you do reactivate Porcupine Tree at some point, what do you imagine you'll bring to Porcupine Tree in terms of fresh perspective and all you've learned in the interim?"

'It's a good question. I don't really have a good answer. I'm not consciously that my approach to writing and making records has changed, but objectively speaking, I can hear that there has been a change and evolution and development.

One thing I will say, is this: if Porcupine Tree did get back together, I would have to say to the guys, "Look, there's no point in me writing the material, because if I were to do that, I might as well do it for a solo record. Let's try writing together, or try writing in partnerships." I would not be interested in coming in with an album that I'd written, which I used to do.'

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    One thing I will say, is this: if Porcupine Tree did get back together, I would have to say to the guys, "Look, there's no point in me writing the material, because if I were to do that, I might as well do it for a solo record. Let's try writing together, or try writing in partnerships." I would not be interested in coming in with an album that I'd written, which I used to do.'
    I recall saying this very thing. Not sure if it was on this forum or another.

And IMO his material wherein he asked the band to collaborate together is amongst the worst in their career...although Bonnie The Cat is good...1/4 is kinda :collar tug:

i'm in the camp that thinks SW has absolutely no reason to reform the band and he doesn't ever need to...it's just a name; hell, even use Harrison for a release, the other two i think are incredibly replaceable in a second, despite Barbieri's past uh, tenure.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ I feel the same.

Suspended
    Incidentlally the full interview is worth reading, despite its length. There is a lot more to it than discussion of PT.

Just to add our discussion on the matter in 2012- which, frankly, told me that when I spoke to him this year it was a subject he probably didn't really want to be asked about anymore. I think if the day comes that he feels putting PT back together feels right, then he'll do it. Until then, I'd say leave him do what he does..and be grateful he's able to continue doing it successfully (Sting being a great example of someone whose solo career seems to have stalled):

But beyond the issue of whether or not Porcupine Tree could play Wilson's current music is the question of would or should it do so. Back to Wilson's discussion of brand name, there may be more risks in going out under his own name now, with Porcupine Tree's 20-year history, but there's also more freedom and, paradoxically, more control. "I think the difference is that I would never ask the guys in Porcupine Tree to play music that I did not feel they would enjoy playing" says Wilson. "Whereas the difference, when you're hiring guys, is that although you still want them to enjoy playing the music, because they know it's my thing, they are more willing to try their hand at something else. Sort of like, 'You know, it's not what I'm into, but you know what? I'll go with it and I'll play it.'

"When you have a band that's been together as long as Porcupine Tree, there are all sorts of internal politics, and I simply wouldn't want to be performing something with them if I didn't think they were enjoying it," Wilson continues. "By definition, that then becomes the band sound, and although that is limiting, I use the word in the sense that it can also be positive. Porcupine Tree has a very distinct sound which people instantly recognize, and that sound comes from what we can all agree to play. Another way of putting it might be to say, if you took an artist like Frank Zappa, can you imagine a catalog that eclectic being made ever by the same group of musicians? That sort of democracy is just not possible. Only a solo artist could create such an eclectic catalog. In many respects, he's been my role model—to be able to be in a situation where I can surprise people with my next move. I think that's the difference. I mean, this is a band, but it's not a band [laughs]; and this time I'm going to keep it that way."

"I think one of the worst things I could've done would have been to go straight off the back of the last Porcupine Tree record into another album, another tour," Wilson continues. "It was just beginning to feel like it was becoming repetitive, like a sausage machine. I'm probably about halfway through my career; I've been doing it for 20 years, and let's say I've got another 20 years. Time to get into some different things, you know? And it's funny, again, how much resistance there is from the fan base. You know, I've done this for 20 years, I've made plenty of albums with this band, and I want to do some different things now, and really, there have been some quite hateful and offensive responses, though fortunately in the minority.

"It's a cliché for an artist to say that the new album they're working on is the best thing they've ever done," Wilson continues, "but in a way it's logical because whatever you're doing at the moment is the thing that reflects most closely where you are in your life and your emotional state in that moment. I feel very remote from things I made five years ago, let alone fifteen years ago. I don't recognize the person that made them, and the reason I don't recognize that person is because I'm not that person anymore, so it makes sense that whatever you're working on now is closest to your heart.

"But the fans' relationship to the music is very different from your own relationship," continues Wilson. "Some people take it very personally and are taking the Porcupine Tree thing very personally. I'm not particularly inspired to make a record with Porcupine Tree right now; therefore, the worst thing I could do would be to make a Porcupine Tree record. Who wants to hear a Porcupine Tree record made by people who are not really inspired to be making a Porcupine Tree record? The answer: a lot of people; there are a lot of people who would rather I made an album with Porcupine Tree that I'm not really into than an album under my own name, which I'm really inspired to make. I can't change that fact.

"Thankfully, this is a minority," Wilson concludes. "And I think most people do get it. I think I've engendered a career in which people expect the unexpected; certainly, with Porcupine Tree, we've reinvented the band several times, and so people have come to expect that. But, again, it's amazing how much the brand name is in some ways more important to people than even the sound changing. If you do something with a different name, it's more upsetting than if you completely change your sound. It's very strange to me—all the politics that go on. Anyway, I'm working hard; I'm almost trying to overachieve, I think, even with the tour. I'm going out with a production that's even bigger than Porcupine Tree. I'm overachieving to try and convince people to take it seriously. And I think I'm winning the battle."

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Incidentlally the full interview is worth reading, despite its length. There is a lot more to it than discussion of PT.
    So how about a link to it?

This IMO is an even better interview:

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/inte...steven_wilson/

oops didn't realize it was the same article...

Nevermind. Nothing to see here.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    So how about a link to it?
    Haruspex has provided it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Excellent interview -- thanks.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Sorry, should have provided a link. Thanks, Haruspex, and yes, it is a very good interview.

neil

Fantastic interview, as per usual. If he does ANYTHING with any member of PT that is above and beyond doing all the writing etc., it would be Harrison, given his new big band album. He said he didn't recognize some of the music and he wrote it! Its def in his wheel house to step into doing something like that with him I would guess. I'm not holding my breath or expecting anything out of those comments, but just saw a possibility of doing something new with an old colleague.

food for thought: if SW resigned could PT carry on with the name and have john wesley front the band?

Better question, why isn't john wesley making a PT knockoff band? Sure, he wants to do his own stuff too, but following in this vein would certainly make him some cash I would think.

Can't say I know his own work at all. What does it sound like?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Better question, why isn't john wesley making a PT knockoff band? Sure, he wants to do his own stuff too, but following in this vein would certainly make him some cash I would think.
    Actually, John Wesley taking over for SW in PT actually makes a weird kind of sense. It could actually work (musically -- whether they could match the commercial success of the original is open to debate.)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Interesting discussion in that PT originally was just SW solo that gradually morphed into a band over time.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Actually, John Wesley taking over for SW in PT actually makes a weird kind of sense. It could actually work (musically -- whether they could match the commercial success of the original is open to debate.)
    I suggested that a while back and everybody seemed to think it was a crazy thing to even consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I suggested that a while back and everybody seemed to think it was a crazy thing to even consider.
    I still do. While John Wesley is a fine singer, his voice wouldn't work for me on all the PT material. And who is going to write the new material? John is a fine songwriter, but it's not really in the style of PT. Or maybe they could change the name to Radioactive Toy (featuring most of the members of Porcupine Tree except the main visionary, songwriter and singer) and be a nostalgia act.

Suspended
    That long interview posted by haruspex contains a few reactions by Steven on the never-ending questions along the theme of "Will PT reform"? "Will they ever reform"? etc. He has answered the question many times, but he keeps getting asked it, and it's pretty easy to tell he is sick and tired of being asked and is struggling to be polite to the interviewer.

Basically he says that as a musician he needs to move on - be "progressive" if you like - but many of the fans feel that they in some way own him, and that he has some sort of obligation to keep the band, or to reform the band. People need to let it go.

Particularly telling was his comment that if there WAS another Porcupine Tree album it would be a band effort rather than just a batch of songs supplied by stevn to the band, that's the clearest indication yet that he has broken with the past.

Of course, no matter how many times he says "no plans on the horizon", people will keep asking.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Or maybe they could change the name to Radioactive Toy (featuring most of the members of Porcupine Tree except the main visionary, songwriter and singer) and be a nostalgia act.
    That name would be a bit ironic, wouldn't it, since none of them played on the original "Radioactive Toy"?

It's difficult to worry about Porcupine Tree when SW is still producing material of the current quality. I know that a lot of people feel that his best music was recorded with PT, but I'm not one of those people and there's certainly a sense with the later PT albums that he was painting himself into a corner and maybe not doing the best thing for the band either. I certainly feel that Richard Barbieri had more to give than he was being asked for: maybe something of the Rick Wright going on there as the band moved in a direction that marginalised the keyboards.

PT could come back strong if SW did as he hints and treats the band as more collaborative, but that can wait: I would have thought that the actuarial tables would give everyone involved plenty of time to get bored with their other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    That name would be a bit ironic, wouldn't it, since none of them played on the original "Radioactive Toy"?
    Well, yeah, that's why I chose it.

My take is that, as a band album, The Incident was a commercial success. It also worked very well in a live setting. But as an album it just didn't stand up to their previous material. Did SW get that message loud and clear, and then leave to start his solo effort because he didn't really (personally) like what was produced by the combined band? Did any interviewer ask him "why did you leave at that point, right after the band just had their biggest success?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I still do. While John Wesley is a fine singer, his voice wouldn't work for me on all the PT material. And who is going to write the new material? John is a fine songwriter, but it's not really in the style of PT. Or maybe they could change the name to Radioactive Toy (featuring most of the members of Porcupine Tree except the main visionary, songwriter and singer) and be a nostalgia act.
    They wouldn't even have to be a nostalgia act. Make Wesley the frontman, write new material, and tour that new material while also playing PT stuff. Just assume the mantel, so to speak.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Better question, why isn't john wesley making a PT knockoff band?
    Perhaps because he has some musical integrity?

>if SW resigned could PT carry on with the name and have john wesley front the band?

That's seems a very far-fetched scenario. I can't imagine Gavin Harrison, for one, wanting to do it. Use of the name would require SW's blessing, in any case.