Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Krautrock Binge

The Enemy God
    Trilogy are reforming for a few live tracks at a one off performance in late August . I ‘ m going to make a trip from the Uk . Fantastic debut album

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    There is an interesting book now available in English on the German music scene – Neu Klang, The Definitive History of Krautrock – written by Christoph Dallach. Although it has recently been published in the UK, it came out in Germany in 2021. It is comprised of first-person accounts from, among others, Irmin Schmidt, Holger Czukay, Klaus Schulze etc and is very thorough. I haven’t read through it all yet but there are chapters on Tangerine Dream, Kluster, Amon Duul, Faust, Can, Neu, Kraftwerk and such like – as well as the early years, under titles such as Post-War Youth, Beat, Commune, New Beginnings. It is not a strictly chronological account of Krautrock and has no index but is fascinating none the less.

I read the Can chapter first and, despite having the book All Gates Open, there were several new insights into the dynamics of the band. (Confirming my view, Schmidt admits: “For me, the records up to Soon Over Babaluma are what count.”) Recommended.
    Thanks for this recommendation, Munster - it's available from Hive at nearly a third off list price - I'm very tempted!!

Have just the more commonly known stuff on CD

POPOL VUH
    In Den Garten Pharaos
    Hosianna Mantra
    Einsjager Und Sibenjager
    Das Hohelied Salomos
    Aguirre
    Letzte Tage- Letzte Nachte
    Nosferatu
    Herz Aus Glas
    Sei Still, Wisse Ich Bin

GURU, GURU
    Kanguru
    Guru, Guru
    Don't Call Us, We Call You
    Dance Of The Flames
    Mani Und Seine Freunde
    Tango Fango
    Live 1978
    Wah Wah
    Moshi Moshi
    Rotate
    The Very Best Of Guru Guru ( 2-cd set)

ASHRA TEMPEL
    Ash Ra Tempel
    Schwingungen
    New Age Of Earth
    Walkin' The Desert

NEU
    Neu

KRAFTWERK
    Autobahn

CAN
    Tago Mago
    Future Days
    Soon Over Babaluma
    Unlimited Edition
    Can

Tangerine Dream, Edgar Froese, and Klaus Schulze I have many. They were at one time categorized as part of Krautrock movement or scene at Zodiak Club...but possibly now they are not..

If you like the first Neu! album, then both Neu!2 & Neu!75 are worth checking out. The earlier album has the classic "Fur Immer", & the hilarious 2nd side of the lp essentially versions this track at various speeds (they'd run out of money, & could't afford the studio time to record enough music to fill the lp!); the latter album has a side of Rother doing his tripped out motorik thing, & a side of Dinger doing his raging proto-punk thing - a superb album.

From there, I'd go to Cluster & Harmonia. I think each of Cluster, Cluster 2, & Zuckerzeit mark an improvement of their predecessors - moving towards a more spaced out electronic sound, which reaches its apotheosis in their recording(s) with Eno.

Eno also collaborated with Harmonia (on Tracks & Traces - which is lovely, but, for me, a step down from what comes before). Musik von Harmonia & Deluxe are both outstanding. Also worth tracking down is the brilliant live recording, Live (from 1974), which gives an insight into how different & how experimental the band were in a live setting.

Obviously, loads more to check out, but, for me, the above are all more or less "essential".

^ Cheers Robin, I just spun Cluster & Eno....completely killer! Side two really is something else, especially "One" and "Für Luise".

Onto Faust So Far now...."No Harm" is unbelievable...that's a jammm!

It's been a full on Krautrock binge at my house for several months. No sign of it abating yet! Some great album recommendations above.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ Cheers Robin, I just spun Cluster & Eno....completely killer! Side two really is something else, especially "One" and "Für Luise".

Onto Faust So Far now...."No Harm" is unbelievable...that's a jammm!
    You should absolutely check Faust IV too. There's a very aptly titled long track named "krautrock" (which is just that) and the fantastic "Jennifer", one of my favorite kraut songs ever:

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    If you like the first Neu! album, then both Neu!2 & Neu!75 are worth checking out. The earlier album has the classic "Fur Immer", & the hilarious 2nd side of the lp essentially versions this track at various speeds (they'd run out of money, & could't afford the studio time to record enough music to fill the lp!); the latter album has a side of Rother doing his tripped out motorik thing, & a side of Dinger doing his raging proto-punk thing - a superb album.

From there, I'd go to Cluster & Harmonia. I think each of Cluster, Cluster 2, & Zuckerzeit mark an improvement of their predecessors - moving towards a more spaced out electronic sound, which reaches its apotheosis in their recording(s) with Eno.

Eno also collaborated with Harmonia (on Tracks & Traces - which is lovely, but, for me, a step down from what comes before). Musik von Harmonia & Deluxe are both outstanding. Also worth tracking down is the brilliant live recording, Live (from 1974), which gives an insight into how different & how experimental the band were in a live setting.

Obviously, loads more to check out, but, for me, the above are all more or less "essential".
    Yes thank you!! Great choices!

I have bought the Neu Klang book referred to earlier and am enjoying it very much. Only about a third of the way through but so far it paints an excellent picture of the post war climate in Germany. It's set out in themed chapters with the familiar interview format that is good for dipping in to- though not so good for a continous read perhaps. Includes many of the key people I would want to hear from- some sadly no longer with us. Recommended, so far.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"