Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Krautrock Binge

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So people ranting in bizarre German? Bring it on!
    The following band is far beyond the usually obscure, and I was initially just looking for extracts from their sole album (reissued by Second Battle some 15 years back), yet I came over this:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I keep my Amon Duul records on the top shelf. And not because they start with A.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm with you. I'd probably like Magma even more if no one had ever told me what it was all about.

So people ranting in bizarre German? Bring it on!
    Funny thing is that with Italian, French and pretty much every foreign(to me) band I prefer they sing in their own native language but with Krautrock it's different. Many of those German bands purposely sang in English just to be different from the German "Beat" bands who sang in German, almost like a protest and I really enjoy that. Now when I first heard Eloy's "Ocean" album I didn't feel too into it because of the very strong accent but I have grown used to them, but that is one aspect of most Krautrock that is kind of cool, those english vocals. Eulenspygel and some others who did sing in German are good too but that language isn't as appealing to me as Italian or Spanish for example.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "Only SPERMÜLL are allowed from now!" - Ed, chief of staff of official joint committee of Moral High Office at PE.
    No Freak Out is permitted!

Last edited by spacefreak; 02-26-2015 at 01:42 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Hey, we are all busy singing along to our own Blondie's "Atemlos durch die Nacht". Who needs "unsafe" stuff if you can have Helene Fischer!
    Jau, Birne Helene – die Leni Riefenstahl des Schlagers. Dann doch lieber Deichkind…

"Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Jau, Birne Helene – die Leni Riefenstahl des Schlagers. Dann doch lieber Deichkind…
    Türlich, Türlich sicher Digger! (it's not like Deichkind, Das Bo or whatever are less "unsafe")

I would go for these ones

There are distantly whispered rumours in the closets, the canteen and back corridors of Die Zeit, Der Spiegel and not least Die Welt that Horst and Fritz and Franz and Hans are meeting secretely through sessions via inter-skype mediated by their army of ace solicitors to perhaps ponder the unlikely and bizarre yet truly wonderful idea of a POSSIBLE Sperrmüll reunion sometime arguably before 2032.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Türlich, Türlich sicher Digger! (it's not like Deichkind, Das Bo or whatever are less "unsafe")

I would go for these ones

Max Goldt = genial.

There are distantly whispered rumours in the closets, the canteen and back corridors of Die Zeit, Der Spiegel and not least Die Welt that Horst and Fritz and Franz and Hans are meeting secretely through sessions via inter-skype mediated by their army of ace solicitors to perhaps ponder the unlikely and bizarre yet truly wonderful idea of a POSSIBLE Sperrmüll reunion sometime arguably before 2032.
    You heard it first from the Scroter, folks!

Yes, it appears that Sperrmüll (“bulky waste”) are indeed reforming. New material will be released later this year and there will be a tour as well as a boxset containing several boxsets of previously unreleased material.

Please note: Sperrmüll 2015 does not contain any of the original members, although the current manager, Rudi “Tooty” Kargus, is the same as in 1972. The new, improved lineup consist of:

Horst “Pupsi” Stahl (15) – vocals, various ashtrays
    Hans Schwanz (41) – one or two string bass
    Franz Schwanz (53) - electric bagpipe
    Fritz Blitz (103) – drums, tight pants, hippy sweatband, calisthenics

As of yet, no further information has been officially divulged, save for the following blurb about the current lineup:

Before he joined Sperrmüll in late 2014, Horst “Pupsi” Stahl had been performing as the lead vocalist in Defecatör, a black metal tribute band to the Canadian Yes tribute band Close to the Edge. When management saw videos of Defecatör on youtube, they instantly contacted Horst, having been spellbound by young Horst’s stage presence, who usually performs with his back to the audience (a la a young Jim Morrison) and frequently even disappears in mid-song behind the stage to sing from there.

Twin brothers Hans and Franz Schwanz have been well known fixtures in the German music business for years and require no further introduction. Together, they have produced well over a dozen so-called “Ballermann” hits – a sophisticated, uncompromisingly uncommercial from of music.

Nothing is known about Fritz Blitz except that he claims to be "probably Europe’s fifth or sixth best drummer" and likes beer-soup for breakfast (a Bavarian specialty: pour a bottle of beer into a bowl and add three raw eggs).
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 03-02-2015 at 02:33 AM.

You forgot to mention that those box sets are remastered by the former son-in-law of the ex-wife of the half-cousin of Steve Wilson's long since deceased uncle Ted's grand uncle Freddy.

There are posters, stickers and a triple DVD with a "making of"-film which also includes recordings of all those Skype sessions, plus a download card for additional 12 hrs. of intermediary phone discussions between family members, local tax authorities etc. Even Mike Rutherford has stated that now that Sperrmüll are likely to reform, who the f**k would ever even think of more Genathith.

You forgot to mention that those box sets are remastered by the former son-in-law of the ex-wife of the half-cousin of Steve Wilson's long since deceased uncle Ted's grand uncle Freddy.

There are posters, stickers and a triple DVD with a "making of"-film which also includes recordings of all those Skype sessions, plus a download card for additional 12 hrs. of intermediary phone discussions between family members, local tax authorities etc. Even Mike Rutherford has stated that now that Sperrmüll are likely to reform, who the f**k would ever even think of more Genathith.
    Well that's autobuy right there, my friend.

There's not enough binges on page one, so here is another.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    CAN - Future Days
    Amon Duul II - Yeti
    Faust - IV
    Ash Ra Tempel - s/t
    Neu - s/t
    Gila - Free Electric Sound
    Dzyan - Electric Silence
    Agitation Free - Malesch
    Guru Guru - UFO

I don't really count Popol Vuh, Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schulze in Krautrock but if they make your definition add Hosianna Mantra, Phaedra & X.

So strange that you bring this point out because after I watched a documentary on Krautrock....it was made clear that Popol Vuh, Tangerine Dream, and Klaus Schulze were part of that scene. But that definition or aspect to the classic Krautrock scene is deeply rooted in the Berlin School Electronics ....like comparing Amon Duul II ..YETI and Guru, Guru..Mani and Some Friends to Klaus Schulze's Timewind. It's a little odd

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    like comparing Amon Duul II ..YETI and Guru, Guru..Mani and Some Friends to Klaus Schulze's Timewind. It's a little odd
    But it's odd to compare the Third Ear Band's MacBeth soundtrack and "Owner of a Lonely Heart" as well, yet they are both faint and estranged examples of the wildly disparate 'progressive' concept in rock music.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    So strange that you bring this point out because after I watched a documentary on Krautrock....it was made clear that Popol Vuh, Tangerine Dream, and Klaus Schulze were part of that scene. But that definition or aspect to the classic Krautrock scene is deeply rooted in the Berlin School Electronics ....like comparing Amon Duul II ..YETI and Guru, Guru..Mani and Some Friends to Klaus Schulze's Timewind. It's a little odd
    Oh it's a purely personal assessment and not rooted in any historical fact, when I think of krautrock I tend to think of swirling spacey psyche with a driving groove not Berlin School electronica. Hey just the way I see it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Oh it's a purely personal assessment and not rooted in any historical fact, when I think of krautrock I tend to think of swirling spacey psyche with a driving groove not Berlin School electronica. Hey just the way I see it.
    I understand

But it's odd to compare the Third Ear Band's MacBeth soundtrack and "Owner of a Lonely Heart" as well, yet they are both faint and estranged examples of the wildly disparate 'progressive' concept in rock music.
    True...good point

Leaving a ton of great stuff out, but this will do for little while:
    Exmagma - Goldball
    Cluster - Grosses Wasser
    Kraan - Live 74 (tar and feathers expected...it's still a !#**ing great record!)
    Thirsty Moon- You'll Never Come Back
    Ibliss - Supernova
    Kollektiv - Kollektiv
    Guru Guru - Kanguru
    Can - Future Days
    Embryo - Rocksession
    Wolfgang Dauner Group - Rischkas Soul
    Nine Days Wonder - Only the Dancers

More folx should hear that debut Eiliff album. A truly great German go at Canterbury/Mothers/early KCrim, highlighting the immense talents of Rainer Brüninghaus, soon-to-be right-hand-man of Jan Garbarek.

Nedjapour, later to erupt on Guru Guru Dance of the Flames also helps Eiliff deliver much ass kickery...they should have been chased by legions of naked women around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    they should have been chased by legions of naked women around the world.
    -ALL- true krautrock artists should. Especially Kraftwerk in their men/machine-phase. Topless babes should have rushed the stage en masse with zum juicy boob-booze. Wine, women and song Kling-Klang Klingon King-Kong and Dong.

Agitation Free - Second
    Wallenstein - Blitzkrieg
    Embryo - Embryo's Rache
    those 3 make my "Top 10 German Prog" list fo shizzle
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

More folx should hear that debut Eiliff album. A truly great German go at Canterbury/Mothers/early KCrim, highlighting the immense talents of Rainer Brüninghaus, soon-to-be right-hand-man of Jan Garbarek.
    What about the 2nd? I've seen it recently in vinyl but passed it by.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    What about the 2nd?
    Girlrls? It's OK, but as with Nine Days' Wonder i find the followup poignantly inferior to the very strong debut.

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Funny thing is that with Italian, French and pretty much every foreign(to me) band I prefer they sing in their own native language but with Krautrock it's different. Many of those German bands purposely sang in English just to be different from the German "Beat" bands who sang in German, almost like a protest and I really enjoy that. Now when I first heard Eloy's "Ocean" album I didn't feel too into it because of the very strong accent but I have grown used to them, but that is one aspect of most Krautrock that is kind of cool, those english vocals. Eulenspygel and some others who did sing in German are good too but that language isn't as appealing to me as Italian or Spanish for example.
    Italian an Spanish are my favourite languages but I always prefer to hear the native language even if it's a language I am not so familiar with.

I find German a beautiful melodic language as expressed by bands like Bayon, Lift, Novalis or Audite to name a few.