Thread: Zebulon Pike

Zebulon Pike

Someone mentioned this band to me a few months ago, and I am really hooked on them. Dark and heavy instrumental with a lot of Sabbath influence but also lots of proggier elements as well. They're not a very expensive band to get into either - their first three albums are mostly 10+ minute long songs, with nary an "album only" track in the mix. "Intranscience" might be my favorite of their albums so far (set me back a whopping $2.97 at Amazon)

And their one guitarist looks like Walter White!

Great band, the guitar player Erik (the bald guy) is also the bass player in a jazz band called Happy Apple. Also really nice guy.

One of Happy Apples' albums is available at Bandcamp, so I'm listening to it now - I was expecting something a little more Cuneiform-ish (and I mean that with the highest compliments - I love the skronky avant-jazz stuff like Gutbucket and Led Bib). Instead, it's much more rooted in a traditional jazzy sound - it's quite terrific and sounds nothing like Zebulon Pike (even though the Zebs do occasionally throw some jazziness into the mix).

Thanks for sharing!

~Jeff

p.s. My younger brother and sister had Happy Apples as infants. I found them strangely mesmerizing (I was about four at the time )