Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Nerve Institute - Fictions

The Nerve Institute - Fictions

I suppose not too many have heard it yet but I have and I think it is pretty damn great.

It is a bit different then "architects of the flesh'. The songs are generally a bit shorter and more focussed. It feels the album has a bit more pace.
    The diversity in songwriting is amazing; metal, jazz, folk, latin, indie, symph...it is all there and all covered with a pleasant psychedelic sauce.

great songwriting, great playing (especially guitar lovers have lot to enjoy), crystal clear production; what is not to like?

Guitar orientated progressive psychedelic pop. file this one next to your Knifeworld albums

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    file this one next to your Knifeworld albums
    Nice comparison. Architects of Flesh-Density was excellent, and I'm getting this one too.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Great job on the post production/mastering Udi! This is a GREAT sounding CD (and so is the new Simon Steensland, but I am stll digesting that one)

Great job on the post production/mastering Udi! This is a GREAT sounding CD (and so is the new Simon Steensland, but I am stll digesting that one)
    Thanks man I did my best it was tough...
    The good news is there is another complete album that is already mastered that is perhaps even better then this one in Altrocks vaults
    Mike Judge is in my opinion one of the very best musicians of this day and age and its a shame he is so unknown
    Seriously this guy is the real deal

https://soundcloud.com/udi-koomran/t...whistling-wire
    Last edited by Udi Koomran; 02-10-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Mike Judge is in my opinion one of the very best musicians of this day and age and its a shame he is so unknown
    Shame, yes. But sadly not all too surprising anymore, even with "prog" listeners.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Hmm glad to know this is out.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Loved Architects and can't wait to get my hands on this one. Unbelievable talent!
    <sig out of order>

So are these the same versions that Mike recorded under "Sinthome" or are they re-recorded?

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    So are these the same versions that Mike recorded under "Sinthome" or are they re-recorded?
    I had the impression that these were new recordings. I'd still like to see a physical format of the Sinthome tracks, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I had the impression that these were new recordings. I'd still like to see a physical format of the Sinthome tracks, however.
    I have a copy of the Sinthome songs somewhere, but I haven't listened to it in a long time to compare. I do know the titles are the same as the songs on Ficciones.

And he's still doing all the instrumental work himself? Quite amazing when you think of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And he's still doing all the instrumental work himself? Quite amazing when you think of it!
    Yup
    I can't think of a guitar player that can play the drums with such finesse and dexterity
    err maybe Daniel Fleischer

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Looking forward to this one.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Thanks man I did my best it was tough...
    The good news is there is another complete album that is already mastered that is perhaps even better then this one in Altrocks vaults

https://soundcloud.com/udi-koomran/t...whistling-wire
    I hope we get to hear that soon enough. I liked the "Architects ..." and I am looking forward to get the new one as well.

Daniel Fleischer
    Fichelscher? Yes, his sound was wonderful - but far more one-dimensional and stylistically specified than M. Judge's. There's Kimara Sajn, of course - but he's primarily a keysman/drummer, I think...

This one caught my ear on Bandcamp, enough for me to purchase, and I can't say I'm sorry I did. Many "one man band" operations leave me cold, but this presses all the right buttons. This is a talented cat. I'm gonna have to check out his other stuff.

Ah-hah! I found the copies of A Woman Has Given Birth to a Calf's Head and Ficciones that Mike gave me.

IMG_0421.jpg

Now to re-familiarize myself with them.

Thanks to everybody who gives a damn; Udi did these remasters a couple years ago, and I'd honestly forgotten that they were being released. To answer a couple of questions: yes, this is a remastered version of the Ficciones album I did as Sinthome about 6 years ago; I haven't spoken to anybody involved in quite a while, but the plan a couple years ago was to do a two-volume set of everything I'd recorded in the 3 years before the first Nerve Institute album, hence the reissue. Again, I don't know what Marcello's thinking now, but originally the set was going to be called Fictions & Blacklists, and the new Ficciones (hence the name change and remaster) was supposed to be part 1.

Udi deserves a huge amount of credit: he had to remaster these recordings from stereo mixes, understand, not the original tracks (which no longer exist), so he had no access to individual instruments. Everything he did here, he did by finessing the same tracks you'd have if you ripped the original Ficciones to your iTunes. He's really as good as it gets.

I'm amazed that anybody cares, half a decade after my last record, and I'm flattered by any comparison to Kavus Torabi. Volume 2, when and if it's released, will be a remaster of the previous Sinthome album, which was never released, plus some odds & ends if anybody wants them. There's also a 15- or 20-minute EP of covers that I can't release for profit, since I don't have the money to pay royalties, but I'd be happy to give it away if anyone's interested.

M

Mike, is their any chance for a release of new material following on from 'Architects?' Have you continued the project, or has it more or less been dormant?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Mike, is their any chance for a release of new material following on from 'Architects?' Have you continued the project, or has it more or less been dormant?
    Never mind. I read your post in the other thread. Best of luck Mike, you are a colossal talent.

Guitar orientated progressive psychedelic pop. file this one next to your Knifeworld albums
    Okay, you convinced me.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Never mind. I read your post in the other thread. Best of luck Mike, you are a colossal talent.
    Thanks, mate – I truly appreciate it.

Great to hear from you Mike !
    In my opinion the 2nd volume (aka Blacklists) is even better then Ficciones
    I would love to hear the covers EP man and thanks for your words !
    Is there any chance for new music from you ?
    Please say yes :