Page 327 of 330 FirstFirst ... 227277317323324325326327328329330 LastLast
Results 8,151 to 8,175 of 8246

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Young Sheldon. I come and go with this show, mainly because I've grown weary of Sheldon. The rest of the characters are fine (other than Craig T Nelson's). But I'm mentioning this show because you learn in the latest episode how Sheldon came to start knocking on doors three times.
    I'd watch this occasionally, not a huge fan, however, I think it's the last season, irrc. At any rate I bet they could extend that into a manhood series if they wanted (Old Man Sheldon?). It seems to always draw pretty good ratings. A rather dorky guy dealing with the world.

Wondered if anyone was watching the Shogun series on Hulu, I believe. A friend wrote me and said it was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My wife and I discovered a British comedy 'Miranda' which we hadn't heard of, it's about 12-15 years old now. We have been crying with laughter. The main woman in it is absolutely hilarious in a self-deprecating way and it is firmly in the farce genre. She wrote it and stars in it, and it is a semi-autobiographical account of her life as a very tall, overweight woman who is unlucky in love and surrounded by more attractive friends and a hyper-critical mother. I don't laugh nearly enough in my life, and when she gets me going I almost worry I'm going to have some kind of attack. I also nearly choked on my food the other night watching her. It won't be to everyone's tastes, but as a lover of Britcoms and genuinely funny people, it's right up my alley. Watched it on BritBox, BTW.
    Yeah, I used to watch that off PBS and really enjoyed the wackiness of it. Miranda Hart and the cast worked well together.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Currently I'm re-watching the NBC mini-series Surface (2005/2006), a funny, scary, nice story about living things from the bottom of the ocean threatening the earth. Not too deep, just entertaining.
    The series broke off quite suddenly though....

I loved Surface!
    Last edited by Paulie; 03-11-2024 at 01:29 PM.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Young Sheldon. I come and go with this show, mainly because I've grown weary of Sheldon. The rest of the characters are fine (other than Craig T Nelson's). But I'm mentioning this show because you learn in the latest episode how Sheldon came to start knocking on doors three times.

Resident Alien. I've been enjoying Season 3 more than S2, for some reason. Anyone still watching it? The reason I'm bringing it up is because the latest episode had a subplot involving Harry and another alien (The Blue Avian) that's pretty amusing. Funniest thing I've seen on the show for a while.
    Agree, "Resident Alien" has made a comeback this year. I am currently an episode behind, but I have enjoyed this season much more than season 2 so far. I still think Tydeck should get nominiated for comedy Emmy.

My wife likes Young Sheldon. I have watched episodes here and there with her and find it amusing, but have never been a regular watcher.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I can't really express why, but I'm not enjoying Resident Alien as much this year. Maybe it was adding another over-the-top ridiculous character (the extraterrestrial pigeon lady) into the mix when we already had the goofball Sheriff.

Watched and enjoyed The Gentlemen on Netflix. Based on Guy Ritchie's movie and he was involved in the series as well. Definitely had his quirky flavor throughout. Looking forward to season 2.

We are currently visiting some friends in Florida and they just turned us on to "Archer". I have heard of it for years, but never watched it. I think we have become converts.

Jesus. Was Whit Bissel in everything?

From the closing credits of Star Trek:

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Back in those days, either Whit Bissell, Olan Soule or William Schallert were in just about every show.

Out of curiosity, I checked his acting credits. According to IMDb, he has 322.

His first role (uncredited) was in 1940 in The Sea Hawk. His last was on Falcon Crest in 1984.

The man certainly stayed busy.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I've been watching pen15. Pretty funny.

We've been working through the early seasons of Archer. Just relentlessly funny.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We've been working through the early seasons of Archer. Just relentlessly funny.
    As I posted a few days ago our friends in Florida just turned us on to this show. I think we watched 6 or 7 episodes. I plan to eventually continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I can't really express why, but I'm not enjoying Resident Alien as much this year. Maybe it was adding another over-the-top ridiculous character (the extraterrestrial pigeon lady) into the mix when we already had the goofball Sheriff.
    Im agreeing somewhat. Season 1 was the strongest. But it had a hurried finale , like it needed one more episode to wind itself up. IMO theres a steady erosion of writing quality in the s2 and 3. Im still watching however.

Just started 3 Body Problem. If you are into sci fi drama and aliens and video game stuff all bundled into one plot line, then this is a must watch. But ... definitely google what a 3 Body Problem is in physics, i.e. 3 plaetary bodies, especially 3 suns in close proximity and the plot will make more sense to you.
    Last edited by BobM; 03-22-2024 at 05:04 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Im agreeing somewhat. Season 1 was the strongest. But it had a hurried finale , like it needed one more episode to wind itself up. IMO theres a steady erosion of writing quality in the s2 and 3. Im still watching however.
    We just got caught up on the most recent season last night. So far I think this season is an improvement over season 2 (season 1 is still the best). I still think Alan Tyduk deserves an Emmy nomination. This show completely rides on his shoulders and I still find him hilarious.

Another thumbs up for The Gentlemen on Netflix. Watched the movie for the first time a few days ago , started the series last night. I think the series is excellent. Retains some of the quirks of the movie , in a good way. I , as well , look forward to a second season.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Just started 3 Body Problem. If you are into sci fi drama and aliens and video game stuff all bundled into one plot line, then this is a must watch. But ... definitely google what a 3 Body Problem is in physics, i.e. 3 plaetary bodies, especially 3 suns in close proximity and the plot will make more sense to you.
    I've watched four episodes so far. Very good so far. They're on their way!

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I ususally stay away from spoilers (not that yours is), but in the case of the Three-Body Problem I made the exception due to it being as far flung and cerebral as it is, plus I'd not read the book series. Amazon Prime has the Chinese version of the series over on their channel just called Three-Body (nearly 30 episodes), irrc. Netflix condenses the series into a more short one (10 episodes) and I assume you don't have to read the whole thing via subtitles. I haven't seen the Netflix one yet, but may subscribe to do so.

I'm only 4.5 epsiodes into Prime's Chinese series, and the first ep. isn't impenetrable, but certainly takes a little patience as it does move rather slowly (some things don't make sense--I'm guessing to be revealed later). Once you get used to it tho, it flows a little better. The stumbling block for me, however, is the darn subtitles. I can usually handle them, but it can get dialog heavy at times, and the subtitles flash by too quickly so I miss chunks of story. It's too bad there's not a dubbed English version or there was a way to slow the video down to a quarter or half speed to just read it. At any rate, I'll continue with the Amazon series to see how it's going to go before I sub Netflix. I ran to this guy's video on YT called Quin's Ideas who has helped explain some of the adaptions, and he's read the books as well, 'if' you don't mind spoilers.

Last edited by hippypants; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:16 AM.

We've been keeping up with Shogun, five episodes in now and excellent. And also The Regime which began rather muddled and confusing but which is seriously improving over the last two episodes. We've also started 3 Body Problem and that's looking good as well.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The stumbling block for me, however, is the darn subtitles. I can usually handle them, but it can get dialog heavy at times, and the subtitles flash by too quickly so I miss chucks of story.
    I hate that. In those instances you describe, I'd hit the back button that takes me back 10 or 15 or however many seconds and then pause. It's a real pain in the ass but at least I'd know what people are saying.

But, yeah, it would be nice if you could slow down the video. It's a complete mystery to me how YouTube has all these features but other streaming services have overlooked them. I'd love to set the signal format to 720p, which is the same as cable TV and is considered hi-def. Not that I have a problem with buffering or anything, but letting the streaming service pick my signal format could be disastrous if something's available in 4K and it chooses that but then other people in the house start using up bandwidth.

Or, like you'd want, to slow down the video to ½ or ¾ speed so you can read the damn closed captions.

The thing that really irritates me with Netflix is when you pick something to read about and it starts playing. On a computer, there's a down arrow that lets you see info about the program and the description for each episode, if it's a series. But on a streaming device, like a Roku or Fire Stick, it just starts playing. They sometimes even have the option to select "play" or "more info", but in both cases, the movie or show will start playing. Does that make any fucking sense? I want to read about something before I decide whether I'll watch it or not.

No other streamer does that.

Another thing Netflix does that I find irritating is that not all of the descriptions actually describe the movie or show. For instance, here's the description for All the Light We Cannot See: "Mark Ruffalo and Hugh Laurie star alongside Louis Hofmann and newcomer Aria Mia Loberti in this limited series directed by Shawn Levy."

OK, great. But WTF is it about???
    Last edited by Hal...; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:26 PM.

I'm generally quick enough reading the captions, but I really wish there was an option to choose 'Dialogue only'. I can hear the sound effects. And I certainly don't need song lyrics wedged in between dialogue whenever there's an available second to do so.

It's all of these damn sound effects and loud songs that cause me to miss the dialogue in the first place!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Thé Three Body Problem is next up, just as soon as I finish season three of The Gift, which is a Turkish sort of Time Travel/spiritual mystery thing on Netflix—pretty well done.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I've given myself a big task: to watch the series Outlander again. I first saw it in 2014 and bought every new season apart from the latest (6 and 7 (?)) which hasn't got a Dutch version yet (?). Two episodes in and the story is already fascinating again.
    Last edited by interbellum; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:40 AM.

When we were down in Florida our friend’s turned us on to the 90’s series “Northern Exposure”. I remember hearing good things about it back in the day and we even visited the town of Talkeetna in Alaska which was the real-life town that was the basis for the town in the show. But we never watched the show. We ended up watching most of the first season in Florida and are now about halfway through season 2. The show is a bit dated in spots and some of the humor a bit corny, but overall, we are enjoying it.