Page 241 of 331 FirstFirst ... 141191231237238239240241242243244245251291 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,025 of 8267

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Well, I'll give you the movies (although that skirts the realm of TV) but...much better shows is debatable. And no commercials is dependent. Also , if Netflix goes the way of charging for password sharing what will keep the other streaming services from doing it as well?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

We watched the first episode of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. There were a few missteps but on the whole they hit the beats the original series laid down. I'll have the conn for the duration of the series.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Well, I'll give you the movies (although that skirts the realm of TV)...
    How? Where are you going to see movies released both in the theater and on HBO (or some other service) at the same time? Or within a month or two after its release date? Paramount claims they show features 45 days after release. Not to mention the movies these services produce exclusively for themselves. And then there's the lag between a movie being released and when it shows up on broadcast or cable TV, which can take up to a year.

much better shows is debatable
    I'll grant you that that's a subjective statement. However, just look at all the shows people in this thread talk about: easily, the vast majority are on streaming services. Not to mention that they're produced exclusively for streaming. (for the record, I'm lumping in premium channels with streaming services since they cost extra and they all have a free streaming app; and that includes Epix, Cinemax, and Starz)

And no commercials is dependent
    Every one of those services I listed is commercial free. If you opt for ad-based Paramount and Hulu, e.g., the price I quoted drops $11/mo.

Also, if Netflix goes the way of charging for password sharing what will keep the other streaming services from doing it as well?
    Netflix is a special case. All of the others expressly state that the subscription includes being able to stream outside the home. As for Netflix, they actually used to promote the idea of password sharing. Now that they've hit a plateau and then lost some subscribers due to various factors (they're full of shit claiming password sharing is the culprit), including competition, rate hikes, suspension of service in Russia, etc, they want to walk that back.

Incidentally, the loss of subscribers Netflix claims has hurt its bottom line accounts for 0.0945%. Yes, you read that right. That's less than one-tenth of 1%! That's why I say they're full of shit and this is all about greed.

Incidentally, Netflix itself says, "if not for its losses in Russia following Ukraine’s invasion, it would have added 500,000 subscribers for the first quarter of the year." (!)

It just dawned on me. They lose 200K subscribers in Q1 and then say they would have added 500K if it wasn't for the suspension of service in Russia. In other words, the net result is that, had things been different, they would have added 300K - presumably in Russia.

Jesus Christ, it's mind-boggling how transparently greedy they are.

But to answer your question, that sounds to me like throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    Last edited by Hal...; 05-08-2022 at 12:53 PM.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Re: Now that they've hit a plateau and then lost some subscribers due to various factors (they're full of shit claiming password sharing is the culprit), including competition, rate hikes, suspension of service in Russia, etc, they want to walk that back.

...and the many lackluster movies and series that they've produced. Granted they've had a few hits as well like Squid Game and some others. Supposedly if the hit films out way the bombs it's still a win financially. I don't think Netflix would at least in the immediate future stop allowing shared passwords if their competitors still allow it. That would only exacerbate their problem with customers (competition). My best advice for them is start making better films/series.

I'm curious about Star Treks: Strange New Worlds, but can wait for a season before streaming. I'd heard it doesn't look very retro--Star Trek can't do retro very well, I don't know why. It always looks flashy and cutting edge, when they should take a hint from Star Wars and make everything look worn, and with earlier technology.

Loved the final episode of Outer Range
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Just watched the first episode of Bosch:Legacy. Good shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We watched the first episode of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. There were a few missteps but on the whole they hit the beats the original series laid down. I'll have the conn for the duration of the series.
    The first episode is certainly promising. It actually reminded me of a show that used to be on the telly years ago called Star trek.

But on the other hand: I thought the first two episodes of season 2 Picard were also promising. It went from bad to worse after that. So lets wait and see how SNW develops. So far the only modern Trek series that I am positive about is Lower Decks.
    Last edited by thedunno; 05-09-2022 at 03:07 AM.

No cable here. Internet through Xfinity for $100, Roku and Yahoo TV cover all the local and cable channels for $69, still less than my old cable bill of $200+. Streaming service subscriptions exist with or without cable so I don't count them. Haven't had a wired phone for ages.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    This show was bonkers! Very "Lynchian" throughout. Time-hop stuff always screws with my pea-brain, so I just learned a long time ago to roll with it rather than try to understand every little nuance. This was a fun show and I see there will be a second season.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Good to hear. Really want to watch this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    And need to get going with this, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    This show was bonkers! Very "Lynchian" throughout. Time-hop stuff always screws with my pea-brain, so I just learned a long time ago to roll with it rather than try to understand every little nuance. This was a fun show and I see there will be a second season.
    I tried to watch late at night and the combination of drowsiness and my peaer than Paulie's pea brain did not allow me to even grasp the tiniest bit of the story. Trying again during the day, after a cup of Ginseng tea, while wearing my tinfoil hat to deflect distractions all while simulcasting the after-show podcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I tried to watch late at night and the combination of drowsiness and my peaer than Paulie's pea brain did not allow me to even grasp the tiniest bit of the story. Trying again during the day, after a cup of Ginseng tea, while wearing my tinfoil hat to deflect distractions all while simulcasting the after-show podcasts.
    You really don't figure out much until near the end...somewhat , but stick with it!

I'm going to start this soon. Amazon Prime?

Freevee, but you can access it through Prime. Ad supported, but just a couple 30 second ads. Not bad.

Banned
    Maybe not US, has a serious Canuck flavor, and is very funny

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yes, Scott. We're just starting season 4. Good stuff.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Freevee, but you can access it through Prime. Ad supported, but just a couple 30 second ads. Not bad.
    Thanks. Watched the first episode last night...picks up right where it left off

Finished season 2 of “Billions” last night. It is still not on the level of “Succession”, but is entertaining with good acting for the most part.

Thanks. Watched the first episode last night...picks up right where it left off
    Yeah. It's basically the next season. Smooth transition. I'm digging it.

I really enjoyed Strange New Worlds, much more coherent and confident a show than Picard was :P
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    I really enjoyed Strange New Worlds, much more coherent and confident a show than Picard was :P
    On my list. I gave up on Picard.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    On my list. I gave up on Picard.
    Yeah with Picard it felt like they were throwing ideas/keywords at us, not like, actual stories lol
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Maybe not US, has a serious Canuck flavor, and is very funny
    Binged this the other day and I really enjoyed it. Very typical Mike Myers with some groan-worthy moments but I laughed out loud many times so it's obviously in synch with my sense of humour. Lots of social commentary which surprised me in a good way. I particularly enjoyed the many, many digs at Canada.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Superman And Lois, on CW.

Lois is lamenting her bad choice in boyfriends as a kid.....

"There was this one guy, Dave, he was spectacularly awful. He was in this Primus cover band"

The girls says, "What's Primus?".

Lois: "A band no one should ever cover".

So good. I'm giddy, again.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Just finished Ozark and have two observations

MINOR SPOILER

1. So awesome to see the Death Metal torture pit return
    2. WTF Wendy?? I didn't get into her character arc the final episodes

Otherwise a killer series.