Page 314 of 330 FirstFirst ... 214264304310311312313314315316317318324 ... LastLast
Results 7,826 to 7,850 of 8247

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I wish there was a spoiler's room to talk about those last 7 1/2 minutes of Devs.
    Actually, we can talk it about it here, if you want. You just have to use this code to change the color of your text so that no one can read it without highlighting it: E1E1D9. So, for example, the html tags are [~COLOR="#E1E1D9"] and [~/COLOR] (without the tildas), with your text in between the two tags. That is if you're using the "classic PE style" (that color code is the same as the code of the background color in a post).

So here's my comment on those last 7˝ minutes, which I confess I understand better that what I may be able to put into words:

First, let me say that I was happy that Lily was able to continue to "exist" and that she seemed to realize the errors of her ways and then reconnected with Jamie in the "afterlife". However, the fact that Forest faced no repercussions for ordering the death of Sergei and had it covered up bothered me because it implies that morality is irrelevant. To use an example, isn't it logical to come to the conclusion that Hitler is continuing to live punishment free in the simulation with Eva Braun by his side?

Or does the timeline begin with Forest's and Lily's deaths? Still, my point stands.

So, on the one hand, it was nice that Forest was able to be with his wife and daughter, again, because their deaths seemed to have broken him. On the other, what about the pain and suffering he caused in the "real" world after having Sergei murdered?

Of course, the simulation only exists in the quantum computer. So if anything should happen to it, there goes Forest's and Lily's afterlife.

And btw, he fired Lydnon for introducing the "multiverse math" into the code that enabled sound and cleared up the images. Later, however, he seemed to accept it. Was that explained and I missed it? That was the plot hole I referred to in my other post.

So that's what I have to say on the subject.
    Last edited by Hal...; 12-22-2023 at 10:25 AM.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

If you've not seen Aniara it's on Tubi and tho low budget and Swedish (sub titled) it's a worthwhile SF movie. About a generational ship traveling to a new home as Earth won't sustain life anymore. Anyway it's knocked off course. Here's the Tubi link.
    I looked it up. It's based on an epic poem written by a Swedish Nobel laureate and was published in 1956. It also influenced Poul Anderson's Tau Zero.

I'll look for it. Thanks.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Actually, we can talk it about it here, if you want. You just have to use this code to change the color of your text so that no one can read it without highlighting it: E1E1D9. So, for example, the html tags are [~COLOR="#E1E1D9"] and [~/COLOR] (without the tildas), with your text in between the two tags. That is if you're using the "classic PE style" (that color code is the same as the code of the background color in a post).

So here's my comment on those last 7˝ minutes, which I confess I understand better that what I may be able to put into words:

First, let me say that I was happy that Lily was able to continue to "exist" and that she seemed to realize the errors of her ways and then reconnected with Jamie in the "afterlife". However, the fact that Forest faced no repercussions for ordering the death of Sergei and had it covered up bothered me because it implies that morality is irrelevant. To use an example, isn't it logical to come to the conclusion that Hitler is continuing to live punishment free in the simulation with Eva Braun by his side?

Or does the timeline begin with Forest's and Lily's deaths? Still, my point stands.

So, on the one hand, it was nice that Forest was able to be with his wife and daughter, again, because their deaths seemed to have broken him. On the other, what about the pain and suffering he caused in the "real" world after having Sergei murdered?

Of course, the simulation only exists in the quantum computer. So if anything should happen to it, there goes Forest's and Lily's afterlife.

And btw, he fired Lydnon for introducing the "multiverse math" into the code that enabled sound and cleared up the images. Later, however, he seemed to accept it. Was that explained and I missed it? That was the plot hole I referred to in my other post.

So that's what I have to say on the subject.
    I think I'll respond with this warning.... SPOILERS

~SPOILERS on the Dev series~

[So if you don't want to know about it beforehand scroll by.]

I think the timeline always existed. I think maybe the simulation they were developing was just a way to try and look into it--not knowing what they might find. Granted Forest was trying to find a way to reconnect with his daughter and wife. So maybe Hitler & Eva Braum were together and happy, and maybe he wasn't such a tyrant in some other timeline.

Maybe the accident didn't happen in some other timeline as well. Yeah, it's a really mind-twister. I see what you mean about morality, however, plus due to Forest, he'd hired a hitman who in the end killed Jamie, and tried to kill Lily. I guess it's the same example of Lyndon jumping off the dam. In some timelines he would hit bottom, in others not--he would float?

So was the simulation just a window into all these mulitverses? Re: he fired Lydnon for introducing the "multiverse math" into the code that enabled sound and cleared up the images. Later, however, he seemed to accept it. Was that explained and I missed it?

I think that just showed Forest's hubris, ego, self-pride ie. similar to someone like Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, etc. He didn't like it for some reason at first, but the crew working on the sim went behind his back more or less, and he eventually saw that he was wrong. So if something happened to the quantum computer would the timelines not exist? I would think they still would, as they have always existed, and it was more or less a window. But yeah, that's just the way I thought about it, so others might think differently.

Finished the final season of The Crown last night. I rank this series right up with the best stuff Netflix has done. Originally I had no interest in watching it, but my wife wanted to, so I started watching it with her. I got hooked pretty quick. The acting, writing and cinematography was top notch right from the beginning. Every 2 years the cast changed as the characters got older, but each cast was as good as the previous ones. I did think the final season dipped slightly in quality, but it was still very good. I liked the way they brought in all 3 actors who played Queen Elizibeth into the final episode. I suspect Dominick West, Elizebeth Debicki and Imelda Staunton will get Emmy nominations for the final season.

We started “Mr. In Between” on Hulu last night. Not sure if I have seen this show mentioned here before? This is a show that slipped under my radar. Apparently it was broadcast on FX starting in 2018. I was searching for something to watch and this show got rave reviews everywhere I looked. 4 episodes so far and I am really enjoying it. Did anyone else watch this when it was on?

Finally logged into my Hulu account. Started watching the much lauded Only Murders In The Building. Made it through two episodes. What a pile of overhyped shite. Wasn’t funny and moved slowly. You put Martin and Short next to each other on a sofa for an interview and they are great. Put a script in front of them and its a snoozefest.

Will try The Bear next.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Finally logged into my Hulu account. Started watching the much lauded Only Murders In The Building. Made it through two episodes. What a pile of overhyped shite. Wasn’t funny and moved slowly. You put Martin and Short next to each other on a sofa for an interview and they are great. Put a script in front of them and its a snoozefest.
    Pretty much my take as well.

The latest episode of For All Mankind kind of felt like a jump-the-shark moment for me, but I will see how things turn out.
    <sig out of order>

Will try The Bear next.
    My wife watches that, and I have to go in the other room and close the door because the characters literally scream at each other through every scene of every episode. It should be called The Arguing. I don't know how anyone stands it, and I couldn't believe it when I heard that's technically a comedy.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If you want to watch a show that will have you laugh until it hurts - check out Bookie on Max. Last time I saw a show that had me laugh this hard was The Righteous Gemstones.

Anyone else watch Carol & The End of the World?

If you want to watch a show that will have you laugh until it hurts - check out Bookie on Max. Last time I saw a show that had me laugh this hard was The Righteous Gemstones.
    High praise indeed because Gemstones is a gut-buster.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Since we are at the end of the year, what are your favorite TV series of 2023? Here are mine:

• Fargo Season 5: The season will go into 2024, but they are knocking it out of the park so far. Outstanding cast as always.

• Our Flag Means Death Season 2: The 2nd season was as enjoyable as the first. Taika Waititi has become one of my favorite creators of tv & movies. He also stars in this show.

• Barry Season 4: The final season got mixed reviews, but I enjoyed it. Great acting & writing.

• The Crown Season 6: One of the best series Netflix has ever produced. I thought the final season this year was a slight step down, but it was still good.

• What We Do In The Shadows Season 5: The silly vampire show continues to deliver. Another Taika Waititi project.

• Fall Of The House Of Usher: Another enjoyable series from the creators of The Haunting Of Hill House.

• Shadow & Bone: 2nd season is as good as the first, although I have heard this has been cancelled.

• Succession Season 4: The final season knocks it out of the park. One of HBO’s best series ever with incredible writing and acting.

• Justified City Primeval: This never reaches the heights of the original series, but Raylon Givens is still one of TV’s greatest characters. The last 10 minutes of the series hints of a possible continuation.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    • Justified City Primeval: This never reaches the heights of the original series, but Raylon Givens is still one of TV’s greatest characters. The last 10 minutes of the series hints of a possible continuation.
    And with the return of you know who (trying to avoid spoilers), the next season promises to be as good as the original.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Fave TV series:

Fargo
    Silo
    The Last of Us
    Devs
    Servant
    The English
    Andor
    Survivor
    Alone
    Portrait Artist
    Signs of a Psychopath--hair-raising

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    And with the return of you know who (trying to avoid spoilers), the next season promises to be as good as the original.
    Is it for certain that there is going to be another season? I have not seen anything definitive that it is happening for sure.

Fave TV series:

Fargo
    Silo
    The Last of Us
    Devs
    Servant
    The English
    Andor
    Survivor
    Alone
    Portrait Artist
    Signs of a Psychopath--hair-raising
    Last of Us didn't do as much for me as it did a lot of people. I liked it, but didn't love it. Not sure if I will be in for the next season or not.

I saw some episodes of Signs Of A Psychopath and enjoyed what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Is it for certain that there is going to be another season? I have not seen anything definitive that it is happening for sure.
    If not, it was one hell of a cliff-hanger.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

My wife and I binged the final six episodes of The Crown that were recently released (and mentioned here recently) over the 24th and 25th. We were both in the mood for it and it made for good Christmas viewing, somehow. A fine ending to a strong series and a terrific cast. Now we're going to go back and finish off The Gilded Age before moving on to something fresh.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My wife and I binged the final six episodes of The Crown that were recently released (and mentioned here recently) over the 24th and 25th. We were both in the mood for it and it made for good Christmas viewing, somehow. A fine ending to a strong series and a terrific cast. Now we're going to go back and finish off The Gilded Age before moving on to something fresh.
    As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, I think "The Crown" ranks up with the best thing Netflix has ever done. Fantastic series all the way around.

Enjoying Reacher S2 so far

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Just received an email that Prime Video is going to include commercials on all content.

"Dear Prime member,

We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting January 29, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than linear TV and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional $2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here.

Prime is a very compelling value. Prime members enjoy a wide range of shopping, savings, and entertainment benefits, including..."
    Blah blah blah.

The only thing I find compelling is the easy returns.

Fuck off Bezos.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Just received an email that Prime Video is going to include commercials on all content.

"Dear Prime member,

We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting January 29, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than linear TV and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional $2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here.

Prime is a very compelling value. Prime members enjoy a wide range of shopping, savings, and entertainment benefits, including..."
    Blah blah blah.

The only thing I find compelling is the easy returns.

Fuck off Bezos.
    Fuck off indeed. Streaming is devolving into a money-hemorrhaging mess and it's their own goddamn fault. I will keep Prime solely because the free shipping more than pays for itself because I live in remote West Bumfuck. But I have no sympathy for these streamers that are now trying to recoup with advertising. And YouTube is dissolving into the same sort of fuckery as well. Fuck them all.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    For me, Prime is easily the worst streaming service, and this just makes it even worse. Free quick shipping is really the only reason to have that thing.

Hopefully all this fuckery will be the beginning of the end of these streaming service asswipes.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Not surprising at all. Prime had started to offer movies for rent or download, on top of the hefty price for Prime. That didn't generate the expected income, so they set up a free channel where some movies can be watched, but with commercials.

This may be my jumping off point, idk. The unbridled greed of the media companies and entertainment providers is staggering. They never have enough.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 12-27-2023 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Fuck off indeed. Streaming is devolving into a money-hemorrhaging mess and it's their own goddamn fault. I will keep Prime solely because the free shipping more than pays for itself because I live in remote West Bumfuck. But I have no sympathy for these streamers that are now trying to recoup with advertising. And YouTube is dissolving into the same sort of fuckery as well. Fuck them all.
    Same here. I keep Prime because I order a lot of stuff from them and the free shipping saves me money, but the streaming service side of it mostly sucks. It seem like 75% of the things I want to watch on Prime they charge extra for, so there is not much that I actually watch on Prime these days.