Page 328 of 330 FirstFirst ... 228278318324325326327328329330 LastLast
Results 8,176 to 8,200 of 8246

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    When we were down in Florida our friend’s turned us on to the 90’s series “Northern Exposure”. I remember hearing good things about it back in the day and we even visited the town of Talkeetna in Alaska which was the real-life town that was the basis for the town in the show. But we never watched the show. We ended up watching most of the first season in Florida and are now about halfway through season 2. The show is a bit dated in spots and some of the humor a bit corny, but overall, we are enjoying it.
    That was a great show!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Just started 3 Body Problem. If you are into sci fi drama and aliens and video game stuff all bundled into one plot line, then this is a must watch. But ... definitely google what a 3 Body Problem is in physics, i.e. 3 plaetary bodies, especially 3 suns in close proximity and the plot will make more sense to you.
    Watched the first 3 episodes. I'm really enjoying it despite the fact that I have no idea what the hell is happening

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    That was a great show!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    When we were down in Florida our friend’s turned us on to the 90’s series “Northern Exposure”. I remember hearing good things about it back in the day and we even visited the town of Talkeetna in Alaska which was the real-life town that was the basis for the town in the show. But we never watched the show. We ended up watching most of the first season in Florida and are now about halfway through season 2. The show is a bit dated in spots and some of the humor a bit corny, but overall, we are enjoying it.
    It loses steam, as all shows do, in the later seasons. Some of the best characters in 90s TV and some unforgettable episodes. I will always cherish the piano catapult.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

The thing that really irritates me with Netflix is when you pick something to read about and it starts playing. On a computer, there's a down arrow that lets you see info about the program and the description for each episode, if it's a series. But on a streaming device, like a Roku or Fire Stick, it just starts playing. They sometimes even have the option to select "play" or "more info", but in both cases, the movie or show will start playing. Does that make any fucking sense? I want to read about something before I decide whether I'll watch it or not.
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2102
    <sig out of order>

Re: Three Body Problem -- I've read the original trilogy, thought they were brilliant, and will probably never reread them or read anything else by Cixin Liu.

I can usually separate a writer's politics from their work, but when he came out in support of the Chinese government's genocidal treatment of the Uyghurs, well, that was a step too far for me.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Finished up the Netflix series , The Gentlemen , based on the Guy Richie film of the same name. Not as satisfying as the movie , but close. Worth the time. Ends with a lead in to a second season . Which will probably happen. Like the film , twisty double crossing violence throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Thanks Guy, but you might want to re-read my post. I'm not talking about previews. In fact, I have autoplay turned off for everything:

I'm talking about when I select a program, it automatically plays. On a Roku or Fire Stick there's no way to turn that off. The other 5 or 6 streaming apps I use don't do that. You actually have to press "play" for the video to start.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It loses steam, as all shows do, in the later seasons. Some of the best characters in 90s TV and some unforgettable episodes. I will always cherish the piano catapult.
    We just finished season 2 last night. Not sure if I am going to continue. I am not a fan of Rom Coms and as this show goes along the Rom Com cliché’s continue to ramp up. At times I almost feel like I am watching a Hallmark movie. Some of the characters are definitely unique and parts of it are pretty funny, but it also seems that some of the supporting actors are……….for lack of a better word, not very good actors. Probably if I was watching this back when it came out my perspective would be different.

Thanks Guy, but you might want to re-read my post. I'm not talking about previews. In fact, I have autoplay turned off for everything:

I'm talking about when I select a program, it automatically plays. On a Roku or Fire Stick there's no way to turn that off. The other 5 or 6 streaming apps I use don't do that. You actually have to press "play" for the video to start.
    Oh I see - yeah, that's annoying.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Re: Three Body Problem -- I've read the original trilogy, thought they were brilliant, and will probably never reread them or read anything else by Cixin Liu.

I can usually separate a writer's politics from their work, but when he came out in support of the Chinese government's genocidal treatment of the Uyghurs, well, that was a step too far for me.
    That certainly one's right with anything, and I'd have to agree, do what's right for you. But then, what would you expect someone to say that is Chinese and raised in China and still living there? I certainly am not an expert on China, but I would think there might be repercussions if he were to speak ill of his own govt. There was a simliar controversy raise about Orson Scott Card's outlook on homosexualilty at one time, though it didn't bother me. Ender's Game was a pretty good book. If either of these authors wrote about gays or Uyghurs and made them into bad villians then I might think differently, it really depends on how something is handled. There are centainly enough Caucasian villians as well, real and imagined. But I have a pretty good threshold for seperation of art from artist--everybody's different. That's why I'd always say you do what's right for you to anyone.

Started watching Three-Body Problem on Netflix. It flows a lot better and quicker than the Amazon, Chinese version. The first season/book is the set up for the second, book/series. It mostly is a mystery which starts with the past then flashes forward to a near future, where scientists are killing themselves for unclear reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    That certainly one's right with anything, and I'd have to agree, do what's right for you. But then, what would you expect someone to say that is Chinese and raised in China and still living there? I certainly am not an expert on China, but I would think there might be repercussions if he were to speak ill of his own govt. There was a simliar controversy raise about Orson Scott Card's outlook on homosexualilty at one time, though it didn't bother me. Ender's Game was a pretty good book. If either of these authors wrote about gays or Uyghurs and made them into bad villians then I might think differently, it really depends on how something is handled. There are centainly enough Caucasian villians as well, real and imagined. But I have a pretty good threshold for seperation of art from artist--everybody's different. That's why I'd always say you do what's right for you to anyone.
    I agree with what you say. But it wasn't a matter of not speaking against the government; it was a matter of having voluntarily issued a statement in favor of the Uyghur genocide. I draw the line there -- as I do with Card, after his statement that anti-sodomy laws should be "selectively" enforced to "make examples" of people. His words, not mine.

2 episodes into 3 Body Problem. I'm enjoying. Definitely different.

I am also into it. It gets way better. I read the book and was very lukewarm about it and don't even remember if the plot is the same. I don't think the translation into English was very good.

I liked 3 Body Problem but it takes some brain power! Maybe not for you smart smarts in here, but I had to put on my pay close attention pants. Very science-y show Definitely well done in the visual dept. though. I'm in for season 2.

It's hardly "current" at this point, but it's far from "classic," so it goes here -- I've been really enjoying the first season of Doom Patrol. Alan Tudyk (one of my favorite living actors) makes an absolutely wonderful surreal villain.

I liked 3 Body Problem but it takes some brain power! Maybe not for you smart smarts in here, but I had to put on my pay close attention pants. Very science-y show Definitely well done in the visual dept. though. I'm in for season 2.
    You know, Klonk, watching movies is like eating. If you continually subsist on meat and potatoes, soda, and junk food, you're gonna get fat and lazy. Try eating some leafy green and cruiciferous veggies.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    It's hardly "current" at this point, but it's far from "classic," so it goes here -- I've been really enjoying the first season of Doom Patrol. Alan Tudyk (one of my favorite living actors) makes an absolutely wonderful surreal villain.
    I dig me some Doom Patrol.

You know, Klonk, watching movies is like eating. If you continually subsist on meat and potatoes, soda, and junk food, you're gonna get fat and lazy. Try eating some leafy green and cruiciferous veggies.
    Hey I eat my veggies...in small portions and usually quickly just to get em out of the way

I'm enjoying 3BP . I don't agree it takes a total understanding of physics to enjoy any more than enjoyment of Star Trek required understanding of how Dilithium Crystals made Warp Speeds possible and therefor FTL travel. As long as I'm clear on how the "science" effects the plot , I'm fine. And the plotting of 3BP so far (5 or 6th episode) is pretty good. Although I have an idea where its going , its not at all predictable. An excellent trait to have. The presentation, effects and acting is top notch. A winner IMO.

We just started “3 Body Problem” last night. 3 episodes in and I am really digging it.

I'm enjoying 3 Body Problem with the enormous exception of the most annoying child in TV history whose shrill voice screaming 'Save me!' is enough to make me jump out the window to save myself.

The Regime and Curb Your Enthusiasm both finished tonight. Neither finale was that great IMO.

Still enjoying Shogun as it airs each week.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Curb finale did have one pretty clever element to it, otherwise it was pretty much what I expected. It was weird they only went half-in on the "bring back characters from the past" idea, maybe since they'd already done that for the Fatwa season? Also found it odd they didn't really resolve the situation with Richard Lewis' girlfriend, though I suppose maybe they just wanted the implication
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Special Ops: Lioness. I had been eyeing this one for a while and finally pulled the trigger last night. It was created and written by Taylor Sheridan, who also wrote Sicario, Hell or High Water, Wind River and for television created and wrote Mayor of Kingstown, Yellowstone, 1883, 1923, and Tulsa King.

The premise: "Force Recon Marine Cruz Manuelos is recruited into the CIA's Lioness program and tasked with befriending the daughter of a terrorist financier." (Wikipedia)

Zoe Saldaña plays the CIA officer in charge of the program. There are more than a few subplots involving the backgrounds of some of the characters and, at first, I was slightly put off by them but quickly came to really appreciate them because this show is so well written!

Anyway, this show is so fucking good that I binged 6½ of the 8 episodes last night and didn't go to bed until after 2:30! Can't wait to get home and finish it!