Page 333 of 334 FirstFirst ... 233283323329330331332333334 LastLast
Results 8,301 to 8,325 of 8346

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Very excited of what's coming in June:

Star Wars The Acolyte - June 4 - Disney+

House of the Dragon S.2 - June 16 - HBO

Can't get any better than that!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    For those that like British Detective shows season 4 episode 1 of McDonald & Dodds dropped yesterday on Britbox.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

I wasn't sure where to put this so I guess I'll put this here. The Philo app now offers free TV. I don't know if that's with ads or not, probably with. At any rate they offer quite a few channels and free DVR. No contract, no credit card. Here's a link, but you have to scroll down halfway to see the plans: there's the free plan, and the $25. plan. Here's a Reddit about it, if the above link doesn't work, click their provided link.

^^ Is that free free, or a free trial? What Philo calls a free channel is a basic cable channel. A non-free channel would be a premium channel like Starz. For which one must pay extra, on top of the subscription fee.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Re: Philo--it's a free free one, but your get what you pay for, which was nothing. But it did have a few movie channels I didn't have, so I went thru everything and marked my Faves and added those to the top. Plus it came with free DVR, which might come in handy. It's a little effort, but fairly worth it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    As I have said before, this is the real stuff that you don't see often on TV or film. Plausible science fiction.
    Indeed. Although, they did make one one mistake that I've noticed so far, which I've also seen on Star Trek shows: referring to a superior female officer as "sir". The correct term is "ma'am". Otoh, at least no one has said "over and out".

But, yeah, this show is so freakin' good. It watches like a good novel reads.

Oh, and Sadavir? He gives snakes a bad name.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Indeed. Although, they did make one one mistake that I've noticed so far, which I've also seen on Star Trek shows: referring to a superior female officer as "sir". The correct term is "ma'am". Otoh, at least no one has said "over and out".

But, yeah, this show is so freakin' good. It watches like a good novel reads.

Oh, and Sadavir? He gives snakes a bad name.
    In an early episode of Voyager, Captain Janeway said "You don't have to be so formal. You can call me ma'am."
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Alias Grace on Netflix was pretty good. 6 episode miniseries. Atwood novel adaption. Worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by markowitz View Post
    Alias Grace on Netflix was pretty good. 6 episode miniseries. Atwood novel adaption. Worth a watch.
    I watch that when it came out. Thought it was quite good.

Bodkin on Netflix . The Forte guy from SNL and a very good cast. Plot has podcasters investigating a cold case murder / disappearance. I'm finishing it up tonight. Enjoyable and recomended.

Anyone have an opinion on "Black Sails"? I see it is now on Netflix and I have had 2 people tell me they really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Just finished Shogun. That shit was great.
    Fantastic. I remember the old shogun with Richard Chamberlain. This puts it to shame but is a bit less explanatory. Having read the book as well… I didn’t need too much explanation.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

Good Omens Season 1 & 2 – Amazon Prime: Another show I have been hearing about for a while and finally decided to check out. I absolutely loved season 1. Honestly one of the most enjoyable comedy / dramas I have seen in a long time. The cast is great, story was cool and the writing solid. The story is basically about an angel and a demon who team up to try to save the world from Armageddon. Truly a unique show that I enjoyed immensely.

Season 2 started out ok, but got bogged down pretty quickly with a rather rambling storyline and more of a reliance on slapstick style comedy. There is a subplot of the two main characters trying to get two women together in a relationship which is a complete waste of time and I just felt the supporting cast in general was not as good in the 2nd season.

John Hamm plays the same character in both seasons, but completely differently and is a constant bright spot. Michael Sheen and David Tennent play the two main characters in both seasons and are consistently great. They certainly left things open for a season 3 if it happens, although I was not super keen on the way they ended it. Bottom line I loved season 1 and just liked season 2. Anyone else seen this show?

Season 1 4.5 out of 5

Season 2 3 out of 5

Last edited by SteveSly; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:12 AM.

Hacks Season 3 – HBO Max: Just finished the new season of Hacks and it was another good one. Jean Smart and Hanah Einbinder are great in their lead roles and the supporting cast is all strong. The writing is smart and funny as the two characters constantly take turns that you don’t see coming. I am not sure that this season was quite at the level of the first 2, but it kept my interest and was kept the momentum of the show. The ending left things open for another season.

4 out of 5 stars.

^^^ I love Hacks! Excellent writing and fantastic performances from the leads and the supporting cast. This season raced by, I suppose because they put them out two episodes at a time.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Just rewatched the first season of House of the Dragon in anticipation of the upcoming season 2. Liked it even more the second time around. The ending got my blood pumpin all over again.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ I am planning on doing just that this upcoming week. Can't wait for season 2,
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Project Blue Book--made by the History channel, tho I streamed it off the Roku Channel. It follows the UFO incidents of the 50s, tho is a mishmash really. Parts of it are really melodramatic and cornball (particularly the scenes involving the women). It's typical professor vs the military hardnosed cliched stuff. Set in the Cold War and atomic era, and each case blends UFO theories with authentic historical events. The main reason I watched it, aside from curiousity was that the actor that played Lord Petyr Baelish, or Littlefinger was in it. He's really the best part of the program. 2 seasons. I've only seen three episode, it's okay.

Zena--Amazon Prime. Don't hate me, just in a fantasy mood. It's silly and I remember when this was on TV and even back then I didn't watch it as I thought it was too silly. However, I watched the first episode and it drew me in. I'm only about three episodes in and it's fun, light fair. I blame reading Conan. I don't know why someone hasn't done a Conan series. It just seems a natural.

The Expanse. Six seasons of near perfect science fiction telling the story of the crew of the Rocinante, an alien technology called the protomolecule, and the political machinations of three societies (Earth, Mars, and those who reside in the asteroid belt). My only quibble: season 6 felt short. Which it was, given how there were only six episodes.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I don't know why someone hasn't done a Conan series. It just seems a natural
    Yeah, the Arnold movies were OK but really didn't capture the essence of the books. If you did it right, and to be honest, took some of Howard's prejudices out of the mix, you could have five seasons of high adventure and fiendish sorcery. A couple decades ago I cleaned out a couple of bookcases and I came upon my pulp section, most of which hadn't been read since my teens. I decided to read the opening page of every author and wow, there were some real hacks in there, books I would never read again. Then I picked up a Conan book. I was four chapters in before I could even take a breath. I didn't want to take a breath. The Picts were coming across the river and all hell was breaking loose. Robert E. Howard was an impressive world builder (though obviously not at Tolkien's level) and so insanely propulsive, just pedal to the metal and barely enough time for Conan to take a drink of wine and swear "killing is thirsty work". Yeah, it needs to be done right, with all the supernatural elements that scare the shit out of our barbarian yet he still swings his sword. OK, I'll stop now.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Anyone else hear about this?

According to show runner Noah Hawley, who is also the creator/show runner of FX's Fargo, it's set to premiere the first half of 2025.
    Last edited by Hal...; 1 Week Ago at 10:24 AM.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I mentioned this here back when the Fargo 5 conversation started up. Can't wait!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Acolyte starts tonight.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I mentioned this here back when the Fargo 5 conversation started up. Can't wait!
    Yep, back in December (I looked it up). Given that I didn't comment on it, I can only surmise I missed your post, somehow. Sorry.

I read that it's to take place 3 decades before the era in the movie. Based on the ad, I'm now wondering if there's a xenomorph on Earth and how the crew of the Nostromo doesn't connect the dots when they come in contact with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yeah, it needs to be done right, with all the supernatural elements that scare the shit out of our barbarian yet he still swings his sword. OK, I'll stop now.
    Yes, the better the better, but even if it was just Xena level television with less silliness, it seems like it would get watchers just b/c no one is doing much fantasy these days.