Thread: Panda Bear

Suspended

Panda Bear

This guy's latest album is the feature album this week on local community radio station RTRfm.

I've heard one or two songs from him in the past and thought "Hmm, that's nice" but not been interested enough to follow it up. Same applies to his band, Animal Collective. However a couple of songs from his latest album have me intrigued. Anyone familiar, and/or a fan?

I think Animal Collective and Panda Bear get labeled "post-rock", though sometimes I find the division between post-rock and progressive rock rather blurred.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 01-23-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Big fan of Animal Collective and Panda Bear's solo stuff. Start with AC's 2005 LP Feels or PB's Person Pitch from 2007.

There is simply no way to label this music. It's just really good.
    The Prog Corner

I only like two Animal Collective albums (Sung Tongs and Merriweather Post Pavilion). Listened also to some Panda Bear solo but he didn't convince me to proceed.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 01-23-2015 at 08:21 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Animal Collective have been wildly inconsistent for me but I would rate "Merriweather Post Pavilion" the best of the bunch. Saw them live a couple years ago and enjoyed the concert more than any of the albums.

The only Panda Bear solo album I heard was "Person Pitch" but I could never come to terms with its ultra lo-fi demo-quality production values. One of the worst *sounding* CDs I've ever owned, and I couldn't get past that to judge the songs on their own merits.

I really enjoy Animal Collective in their song mood, they capture the spirit of original psychedelic rock very nicely in tracks such as "Purple Bottle". I dislike them as sound artists though and find their more "experimental" music contrived and unoriginal. Since Panda Bear's solo LPs tend to cater to this style, I can't call myself a big fan.