Thread: RIP Kim Fowley

RIP Kim Fowley

I've been out of the loop for the last couple of days and this one got by me, a great interview below for anyone interested

http://ugly-things.com/kim-fowley-si...ilver-sixties/

RIP, sir. You were one of the pioneers.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I honestly thought Fowley had died around 2003. You're always hearing stories about what a monster he was, and his appearance in the movie "The Mayor of Sunset Strip" pretty much confirmed all of them.

Not many tears will be shed for Mr. Fowley.

His name turns up in the unlikeliest of places (produced Soft Machine's first single, for instance) but his passing will not sadden many who knew him.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    His name turns up in the unlikeliest of places (produced Soft Machine's first single, for instance) but his passing will not sadden many who knew him.
    Agree. He was no Joe Boyd or anything. But still one of the major rock impressarios of his day.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I wasn't alluding to his justifiable reputation as a tripped-out belligerent asshole, but rather, as SS says, his place in r & r history.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Not the most likeable of guys, but he was one of the greats in the history of pop music.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Although I later learned of Fowley's contribution to the L.A. pop music culture, I first heard of him as a cowriter of early '70s Byrds songs with the late, great Skip Battin. Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Although I later learned of Fowley's contribution to the L.A. pop music culture, I first heard of him as a cowriter of early '70s Byrds songs with the late, great Skip Battin. Rest in peace.
    Yes, indeed. His collaboration with Skip produced some great pop songs, such as "America's Great National Pastime" with it's built-in ad for Coke (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I think the only thing I have, that he's involved in is Wigwam - Tombstone Valentine, unless you count nutrocker by ELP.