Thread: Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy

Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy

What is the **Best** Sounding Cd???Need to get this...Very Underrated

How many are there to choose from?

This is a better album than many people give It credit for. I wish there was a 2 disc deluxe version available.

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    This is a better album than many people give It credit for.
    IMO, there isn't a "bad" Black Sabbath album, and that includes Forbidden.

You Won't Change Me is is the best song on this.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

What a disappointment after the classic SBS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    What a disappointment after the classic SBS!!!!
    See, now given that I'm given a clue because we're talking about Black Sabbath, I know what SBS is, and by that, I mean that you're talking about Sabotage.

I need to play both Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die again real soon, because I haven't listened to them in ages. Maybe not as strong as the first six albums, but I seem to recall there's some decent stuff here and there.

As far as which CD to get, I've only got the Castle Communications release of the entire catalog up through Born Again, and I think they all sound really good. I somehow imagine the old Warners CD's I used to see back in the early 90's don't sound too good, but as I said, I've never actually heard them, so I can't comment.

I'd say it's at least ten years since I've bothered with this or its successor. I've only ever had it within a box of the Ozzy albums...I'd always assumed this had the same mastering as the 90s Castle versions.

I only have two, and they both have faults. The more recent one has a dropout, and the other sounds like crap, sorry, don't remember more detail than that, just that the remaster wasn't any better than the older one.

No, wait, I also have the 24/96 download of that huge boxset from HDTracks. I'll have to give that a listen. You may want to just download the regular res and burn it to CD.

BTW, I love this album, it's almost perfect from beginning to end, the only track I don't really like all that much being "It's Alright", but the strength of the great tracks ("Back Street Kids", "You Won't Change Me", "Gypsy", "All Moving Parts Stand Still", and "Dirty Women") totally overrides the weakness of the less good tracks.

<-- Unapologetic Iommi fanboy, though I haven't gone so far as to purchase a black SG yet...might need to get around to that...both my Mira and my Starla I think of as "Iommi-coloured" -- black with black pickguards.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

I know a guy whose favorite Sab album is TE. he says it's due to whatever 'proggy' elements it has. I've heard it and don't care for it, but I'm not knocking anyone who digs it.

Sorry, I'm not setup to listen on phones (!), so can't be sure, but I don't think I'm hearing dropouts on the 24/96 download version I have, which is the same as the Black Box (which I believe Rhino did). I did read elsewhere that it's a little bright and compressed, but I don't mind that in rock & roll. (As long as it's not ridiculous.) So I'm probably not the best person to ask about what "sounds best".
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I somehow imagine the old Warners CD's I used to see back in the early 90's don't sound too good, but as I said, I've never actually heard them, so I can't comment.
    The Warners are preferred versions of more than one disc. I know the Sabotage is fantastic. I learned that from Carney, picked it up and couldn't be more pleased. So I expect him to chime in.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    IMO, there isn't a "bad" Black Sabbath album, and that includes Forbidden.
    The one you mention, "Born Again" (due to the presence of Ian Gillan + the awful production) and "Never Say Die".
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    The one you mention, "Born Again" (due to the presence of Ian Gillan + the awful production) and "Never Say Die".
    Oooh, Born Again is one of my favorite Sabbath records. I like Gillan's vocals on that record, and there's some really cool songs on this one, particularly Trashed, Zero The Hero (Slash must have liked that one too because he hijacked the guitar riff), and Keep It Warm. I'll admit the production is kinda weird, without much in the way of top end, I guess. I forget which band member it was who said he threw up when he saw the album cover, then threw up again when he put the record on and listened to it.

A great album.

Here's a funny story: While attending The Guitar Institute of Technology (GIT) in 79/80 when it was still very much a Jazz-slanted school (Just before its transition to a "shred-factory"), as a part of our "final exams" we had to arrange and perform a song for our final grade (Orchestrate out ALL parts: bass, drums, etc.). As many other brown-nosing jazz-wanna-be's in my class were doing arrangements of some lame "real-book" tunes, me and my good friend Mark Watson did an arrangement of "All Moving Parts Stand Still"................needless to say, the Teachers didn't know WHAT to say or think. Even most of our classmate thought we were assholes (insulting the purpose of the class by doing a "rock" tune)....we had a blast and SOMEWHERE in some box in my basement, I still have the cassette recording of that performance.

Best sounding CD is the original LP.

Seriously, this album has never sounded worth a damn on CD, but if you must have it to complete a CD collection or something, the original Warner Brothers version is by far the least offensive. Still in print, too.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Oooh, Born Again is one of my favorite Sabbath records. I like Gillan's vocals on that record, .
    Okay, now I have to hear that album (I've only heard Ozzy & Dio era Sab stuff). I've recently become a big fan of Deep Purple w/Gillan, so 'Born Again' here I come.
    Last edited by davis; 01-14-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I still have a soft spot for “Born Again”. The tour was my first live Black Sabbath experience (with the infamous Stonehenge stage set), and they totally kicked my ass. Yea, it was a little weird seeing Gillian up there banging on bongos in a Sabbath set, but it was still way cool. As for the album I have always like it. Yea, the production was horrendous, but I picked up the re-mastered version a few years ago which was much improved. It also contains a 2nd live album from that tour which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Best sounding CD is the original LP.

Seriously, this album has never sounded worth a damn on CD, but if you must have it to complete a CD collection or something, the original Warner Brothers version is by far the least offensive. Still in print, too.
    Which LP version? The UK Vertigo? Or is the US WB pretty good? I never had TE on vinyl. It was cassette back in the day and then CD in the late 80s/early 90s.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It also contains a 2nd live album from that tour which is great.
    Except for "Black Sabbath", which has a glitch that can only be explained by somebody being asleep at the switch. I had to rip it and use sound editing software to remove a blank space.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Which LP version? The UK Vertigo? Or is the US WB pretty good? I never had TE on vinyl. It was cassette back in the day and then CD in the late 80s/early 90s.
    I would guess any of them. I have an original UK Vertigo that slays. The bass is huge. But I would imagine Iommi had the US version cut by somebody who nailed it. Or at least as good as could be done. TE has what I consider to be a somewhat complicated mix that has never sounded all that hot.

One strange thing is the recent Rhino vinyl reissue. Some people raved about this version at the Hoffman site. Not sure I agree. It's super dynamic but sounds kind of different. It's drier, like maybe the original had some reverb put on it which this version didn't have. I guess it doesn't sound quite right to me.