Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fields------ March release for" never released" "2nd album"

Fields------ March release for" never released" "2nd album"

I am delighted to announce Esoteric will be releasing a "never released" second album from the artist "Fields" , a follow up to the self titled album. This album had been consigned to the vaults and will be released on Esoteric in March 2015.

Further details to follow shortly.

Vicky

Dang! Is Andy McCulloch on drums?
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Yes, line up is

Graham Field organ
    Frank Farrell vocals and lead guitar
    Andy McCullock drums

Is that Supertramp's Frank Farrell?

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Is that Supertramp's Frank Farrell?
    Yes.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Auto-buy.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Yup, interesting for sure. Their s/t is holding up, this with some surprise considering the specific style inherent.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The album cover of their first album is quite striking. Quite memorable, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by progguy View Post
    The album cover of their first album is quite striking. Quite memorable, to say the least.
    Indeed. I remember when my eldest son was little, before he could speak, he would crawl up and point to the record stacks and then make a cheeky "rabbit's sound" with his mouth - and I would yet again (albeit somewhat reluctantly) show him that cover of the bird catching its prey. He was quite intrigued, even more than when he saw the debut Magma cover (and no, he first saw these by accident - I did NOT force the little toddler to bear witness ).

He didn't quite seem to really get the Alphataurus cover once he saw that one, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

I have this one. Looking forward to hearing more music from Fields.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Loved the Hammond work on their first.

I'll get this for sure.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    I am delighted to announce Esoteric will be releasing a "never released" second album from the artist "Fields" , a follow up to the self titled album. This album had been consigned to the vaults and will be released on Esoteric in March 2015.

Vicky
    Can't wait for this. They were equal, if not superior, to ELP at the time.

Mark thinks this is at least as good as the first, maybe better. I know Sid Smith who is doing notes really likes it too , having now heard it.

Vicky
    Excited!!

good lord, I read this as being about the recorded and never released album from great UK folky-prog band from the 2000's "fields," who recorded a 2nd LP "Hollow Mountain" and then their record label dropped them a few weeks before its release.

Ha, a coincidence indeed

This is great news! I just added the announcement to the CDRWL as well. All 4 of my readers will be excited....

WOW I had no idea of this
    I loved Fields since my high-school days !

Mark thinks this is at least as good as the first, maybe better. I know Sid Smith who is doing notes really likes it too , having now heard it.
    Great news! I shall order this album. Love their debut. Especially Not So Good, Over and Over Again, and the final instrumental. Fantastic band! I have three copies of the first album..

I don't think you will be disappointed. It's not a radical change or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    This is great news! I just added the announcement to the CDRWL as well. All 4 of my readers will be excited....
    25% of them are!

Looking forward to this. The '71 album is badass. I always get a laugh from reviewers who write it's "good, not essential, full of forgettable songs," blah, blah...

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Looking forward to this. The '71 album is badass. I always get a laugh from reviewers who write it's "good, not essential, full of forgettable songs," blah, blah...
    In my opinion, you're both right. It *is* badass, but the songs themselves are not the selling point. For me it is the over-the-top playing, the intensity and the commitment. In a way I think the Fields album fulfills the promise of the original Rare Bird, moreso than subsequent albums of that band did.

It's the whole package.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    25% of them are!
    make that 50%!