Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Neal Morse: The Grand Experiment

I think the question that Selmer asked above is a good one. it would be interesting to hear from the people being critical, examples of established artists who really significantly change up thier overall sound and style from album to album.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    To some extent, I understand the criticisms of Neal's sameness from album to album, but on the other hand, he has a sound that in many ways, is his own. Not every artist can say that, but on the other hand, many of the greats can. Plus, I do think it is a little unfair to just present the idea that everything he does is painted from the same brush. The guy has covered a lot of ground musically over the years and part of the problem might just be that he has been so prolific. Compared to the classic Prog artists and even to many of his peers, Neal's output over the last 20 years has been almost unbelievable. Had he released even half of what he has, I believe criticisms around his sound would be minimal. Plus, he does release material that is quite different, such as the recent 'Songs from November' album. That said, his Prog albums definitely have a sound and style that is his. I am a big fan though because at the root of the sound is his songwriting which has always been the main draw for me. Even this new song has a hook and a chorus that instantly stuck with me. As much as he is a Prog artist,Neal has a pop sensibility for writing a good catchy song within the framework of Prog and I love it. In my opinion, that is the reason Neal is such a well known name in the Prog spectrum. There are many people that can play, but Neal's song writing ability combined with his playing skills is what sets him apart from many. In my opinion, he is one of the greats of the Prog genre and personally, I am OK with the "Neal" sound. In many cases with Neal's work, with the "sound" comes a "song" that I find more interesting than a lot of the other stuff being released nowadays by other artists.
    very well said, i agree about everything

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    I think the question that Selmer asked above is a good one. it would be interesting to hear from the people being critical, examples of established artists who really significantly change up thier overall sound and style from album to album.
    Yeah, it's always exciting to discover something interesting. There is always a possibility that you don't know about some bands/albums existence. After all, you can't be aware of everything.

A new Neal Morse record is always something to get excited about. Not crazy about the single but we'll see what those epics are like!!!
    The Prog Corner

I listened to that song and liked it quiet a bit. Especially the chorus multi vocals. I read on his site that he went in fresh without any pre-prepared material and tried to do something different. Well, I've no idea if this song is anything to judge it by, so far it's unclear how interesting it will be.

For what it's worth, I've heard these songs dozens and dozens of times by now. The title track is probably my least favorite of the bunch (and I LIKE the title track.. just not as much as the others). They never intended it to sound like Styx but it just kinda happened that way. It started with the band thinking the song had some King's X elements. Now that I listen to the song in its finished state, it totally sounds like Styx! It was not at all intended that way.

I'm liking the bonus disc stuff more and more the more I hear it. If you are an auto-buy person, don't skip the bonus disc (it also has two live songs from MorseFest.

This really IS a departure from the usual Neal Morse album, but Neal will ALWAYS sound like Neal. It's Neal. When listening to this song and the rest of the album, the differences are very colorful to my ears. Going deeper, the arrangements, orchestration, and harmonies are results of 5 people writing music. That is apparent after one listen to the work as a whole. Rich did some nifty stuff with the mix. He also MASTERED the CD so it has the magic touch of Rich Mouser from tip to tail. I consider Rich the sixth bug.

I don't understand why Rich Mouser doesn't get more higher-profile gigs. His work is always stellar.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Thanks Pam! Always love to hear your insight from the inside.

Now that you mention it, yeah, I hear some similarities to KX at times. That is a good thing, imo. But, yes, my first thought was Styx (again, not a bad thing).

I am in for the bonus disc (as usual). In fact, the only physical cd's I have purchased in the past couple of years are from Neal and Transatlantic. Rest are digital.

Thanks, Rick

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just preordered the special edition. Hope I'm one of the first 100 so Neal will sign it and recommend a chapter of scripture!

Just my first lines here! I preordered few minutes ago the SE also! I saw the video of TGE and I was fall in love with the song!

Welcome, Mike!

$24.95 at Radiant and Amazon for the 3-disc package, $2.22 tax and free delivery from Amazon vs a $5.66 shipping charge from Neal, decisions, decisions.

It's simple - would you rather your money go to Amazon, or the actual artist that created the music?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    $24.95 at Radiant and Amazon for the 3-disc package, $2.22 tax and free delivery from Amazon vs a $5.66 shipping charge from Neal, decisions, decisions.
    I heard at Amazon they spit in the packages before they mail you the CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I heard at Amazon they spit in the packages before they mail you the CDs.
    But I heard Neal wipes em on his bum.

I ordered from Radiant - didn't even think to check Amazon. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

I ordered from Radiant - didn't even think to check Amazon. Oh well...
    I have a bugaboo about shipping costs, $3.50 or so for a single CD should be sufficient, anything higher I start looking around for an alternative. Nobody's perfect, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It's simple - would you rather your money go to Amazon, or the actual artist that created the music?
    Right on, ScottBails!

I understand the complaints some have with regards to shipping costs. In fact, I see some complaining quite a few times about shipping costs in different threads. It is what it is. Postal rates keep rising and it's putting the 'small guy' in a tough spot. If you have a strict budget, I definitely can see shipping as a deciding factor. When possible, order direct from the band/artist. I'm sure they appreciate it and I would bet that if they could bring the shipping & handling charges down, most would do so for the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Right on, ScottBails!

I understand the complaints some have with regards to shipping costs. In fact, I see some complaining quite a few times about shipping costs in different threads. It is what it is. Postal rates keep rising and it's putting the 'small guy' in a tough spot. If you have a strict budget, I definitely can see shipping as a deciding factor. When possible, order direct from the band/artist. I'm sure they appreciate it and I would bet that if they could bring the shipping & handling charges down, most would do so for the fans.
    Are you saying you really think it costs Radiant that much to ship a 3CD set in a digipak, for postage and the packing materials?

I can tell you from experience, it costs at least that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ah, but that's such a blessing.

I can tell you from experience, it costs at least that.
    My 2 cents: I'm not stealing the product (plenty do), I'm not downloading it, I'm paying for a CD (most don't), I'm happy to do so, but I don't need to get bent over for exorbitant shipping costs. In other words I'm happy to support my local artist but I don't see a need to make his car payments for him.

Show me where you can make a car payment for $3.44, and I'll sign right up for that.

Show me where you can make a car payment for $3.44, and I'll sign right up for that.
    Can't believe you went there, so obvious, so silly.

Can't believe you went there, so obvious, so silly.
    Was there anywhere else to go? You led me down the path...

Was there anywhere else to go? You led me down the path...
    Do I look like Ed McMahon to you?