Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Most Beautiful Song Ever Written

Thanks for posting “Fires (Which Burnt Brightly).” Probably the best use of a Swingle Singer apart from Luciano Berio’s original Sinfonia.

And the Smiley Smile version of “Wonderful” is an utter travesty.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Suspended
    the only reason I did not mention anything by Debussy is becauses I thought of them as "pieces" rather than "songs".

If non-vocal piano pieces are allowed, I think there are at least two that rank alongside Claire de Lune: Ballade, and Hommage a Rameau.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Thanks for posting “Fires (Which Burnt Brightly).” Probably the best use of a Swingle Singer apart from Luciano Berio’s original Sinfonia.

Yeah, I love it. Probably some of the most haunting and meaningful lyrics Keith Reid ever penned. The swingle sisters were such a good choice here. Procol harum had many beautiful songs, and a few stinkers too.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Thanks for posting “Fires (Which Burnt Brightly).”
    Yeah, that was nice! The only Procol Harum record I ever had (or heard) was "Shine On Brightly."

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    the only reason I did not mention anything by Debussy is becauses I thought of them as "pieces" rather than "songs".

If non-vocal piano pieces are allowed, I think there are at least two that rank alongside Claire de Lune: Ballade, and Hommage a Rameau.
    ... add "Arabesque #1" to that. Like I said, much of Debussy's music is beautiful.

I know some people think of a "song" as something that's sung (and maybe they're right), but I always considered anything with a melody as being a song.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    When I saw the movie "Moulin Rouge" for the first time I was very much impressed by the song "Nature Boy" (I believe it was sung by David Bowie). I didn't know the song by then, but found out there are very much interpretation of this composition by Eden Ahbez.
    Here's a beautiful instrumental version of Nature Boy, featuring Toots Tielemans and Rob Franken:

Joe Jackson - Be my number two

A great piano-song and then in the second half we get an instrumental part with violin and saxophone playing together, with the piano playing the accompaniment, some orchestral sounds and percussion, making it realy big and then at the end the violin playing a short solo, which is repeated by the saxophone. Everytime I hear this song, I have to turn up the volume and stop doing whatever I'm doing.

The last minute and a half make my spine shiver every time.

Last edited by Lino; 10-01-2019 at 04:53 PM.

I always thought Magma's Lihns was a gorgeous song.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

has anyone mentioned Ice by Camel?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Without going through the 7 pages to see if has already been mentioned; I'll put my 2˘ in for It's a Beautiful Day's "White Bird."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The most beautiful song ever!! Written by Borodin in 19 century.....

no one ever did this song justice like this guy.

I'm a simple guy...simple tastes..

Bridge over troubled water, A whiter shade of pale Some Moody Blues songs Come to mind..
    New Horizons, Tuesday Afternoon, Question - The whole Days of Future past suite does it for me.

A recent discovery and new favorite, from Japanese singer-songwriter Hiroko Taniyama. “Kawa no hotori ni (Two by the Riverside)”:

Oh, and going back to Nat King Cole from the first page, there’s this beauty:

Lucky Man
    An earlier mention of DeBussy reminded me of The Girl With The Flaxen Hair.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Prelude to the afternoon of a faun
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Without going through the 7 pages to see if has already been mentioned; I'll put my 2˘ in for It's a Beautiful Day's "White Bird."
    Just went back a page and noticed that 4 years ago I chose "White Bird." Nice to see that my taste hasn't changed although, apparently, my memory has.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Instrumental

Love Song-John Abercrombie,-duet with John and Jan Hammer on piano-from his Timeless album.(unfortunately, the track is not available to post.)
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Man In The Wilderness by Styx always takes me to a new plain.

this is it

There are many, here's one of my faves:

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Just went back a page and noticed that 4 years ago I chose "White Bird." Nice to see that my taste hasn't changed although, apparently, my memory has.
    I had a similar experience yesterday in this very thread. I saw a post about Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun. The poster mentioned being impressed with the clarinet in that piece. I was about to reply to it, then looked to the left and saw my own username. It was apparently a reply I had made to another post about PttAoaF. It had a typo so I deleted it.