Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129
Results 3,201 to 3,219 of 3219

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

I've seen a couple of harpists at Bigears. Mary Lattimore tends to do a lot of treatments on her sound. And Maeve Gilchrist played too, Celtic harp.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I ran the Dirac room correction on the SA30 yesterday. The results were interesting, in a good way. The room is far from perfect and the sound seemed to be improved.
    In general I favor a neutral sound, the initial Dirac profile brightened things up a little. In preparation I had moved the speakers a couple of cm out from the wall and apart to the minimum recommended placement from KEF.
    I doubt if that made a huge change, more with the bass than anything. But the sound is 'better', I will go with that.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Any experience with this?

Why Your HiFi Audio System Sounds Worse on Some Days. Is this the Cure? What about Transformer Buzz?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate
    in my own experience -- can't speak for anyone else (including the dude above who goes off the deep end in meaningless adjectives IMO) -- I have noticed that the barometric pressure affects my stereo.

On rainy stormy days -- what's that, "areas of low pressure"? -- my stereo sounds the best, very tight, very accurate, very "compliant." On sunny balmy summer days, the stereo sounds "looser" for lack of a better description. The difference is subtle, but consistent and weather-related.

Can't explain why that might be so. It's not the speed of sound. Could it be that diaphragms move easier in low pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by mt10425
    If it starts raining before I can put plastic over everything, the amp shorts out, sparks everywhere. If we get a lot of snow, I can't hardly find the components, but the speakers are towers and more readily recognized as large white lumps. On sunny days, I can't read the LED info on the faceplates. I suppose I should just move everything inside........

And buzzing in the power transformer? Pfffft. A $99 drugstore stereo is better built than that.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-26-2023 at 10:39 AM.

Another factor, also subtle but reliably reproducible: if the stereo has been off for a couple of days, it sounds worse when I first turn it on, for a couple of hours.

My guess(?) is that warming up the voice coils, by running current through them -- or possibly keeping the surrounds loosened up by exercising them? -- makes the speakers more accurate. To that end I've taken to turning on Pandora when I go to bed at light, and closing the music room door (which is pretty much sound-proof.)

Megatest speaker cables – 32 cables listened to and measured!

https://www.alpha-audio.net/review/m...-and-measured/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Megatest speaker cables – 32 cables listened to and measured!

https://www.alpha-audio.net/review/m...-and-measured/
    I was interested enough to click, but I had a sense I could not trust the way the site responded, so I stopped.

What were their conclusions? Did they think fancy cables were snake oil or did thy feel there were real benefits??

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I was interested enough to click, but I had a sense I could not trust the way the site responded, so I stopped.

What were their conclusions? Did they think fancy cables were snake oil or did thy feel there were real benefits??
    Alpha-audio is pretty serious, no worries. They tested 32 cables, measuring and by ear, one of them ordinary bulk cables from the supermarket, and there were big differences, and they describe them in easy terms.
    I just upgraded from NordOst Red Dawn, and I could relate to their description of this cable and to the 2 other cables I have heard or owned.

But there are big price differences, and of course your gear is different from theirs, so the only smart thing to do, is borrow many cables and compare. If you don't hear any differences, borrow some other cables or save the money.
    I have been happy with all my 'upgrades' and it has been worth the money. I upgraded to NordOst Heimdall II (and off course I bought them second hand)

Their conclusion was this:

"One of the most important factors in speaker cables is impedance. It just has to stay low. Is has to stay low in order to keep the damping factor of the amplifier in good shape. So in this case: the lower the impedance, the better.

One of the factors that plays an important role in impedance is inductance. The lower the inductance, the lower the impedance remains.

A low capacitance – we learned when researching interlinks – usually ensures speed as well as stability in timing. However, it is often a game of balance between inductance and capacitance. It is virtually impossible to keep them both very low. So it is up to the manufacturer to find the right balance there. And you do that by playing with the geometry of the cable, insulation materials, types of shielding… et cetera. This of course requires the necessary expertise.

How a cable handles noise is audible. Cables that show low noise in the measurements, actually sound blacker. That can – as with the interlinks – come at the expense of openness, looseness and ambiance. So, in this case, taste plays a role. And again: balance in a system.

Finally, the phase differences in the cables. We have only been able to determine that there are phase differences. How this expresses itself in the reproduction is very difficult to determine, because we would have to compare everything with a fixed standard and do an A / B test for each cable. We did not do that."

^^ Capacitance alone can be a game changer. I had an instrument cable which made my guitar(s) sound muddy as hell. I checked it with a capacitance meter, and it was much higher than it should've been.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

A point of view.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    A point of view.
    I liked it!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    A point of view.
    Listen to music, not gear.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    This Saturday is the second month of two hours of vinyl listening at a local high end stereo store to demonstrate high end equipment by playing our records. This month is anything goes, that's a can of worms they may not be able to handle.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I think everyone in this forum agrees.
    But I am in several HiFi-fb forums where many (to my surprise) begs to differ. I don't see the fun, but each to their own.

Decent equipment can greatly enhance the enjoyment of music. My setup would never garner the respect of a true audiophile. But it's much better than what the vast majority have in their living rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

Why Your HiFi Audio System Sounds Worse on Some Days. Is this the Cure? What about Transformer Buzz?

I think it's important not to overlook in the all of the technical remedies to this problem (which I certainly experience with my own system) the possibility that your ears might have a great deal to do with this as well: in short, we hear better on some days than others and this may well serve to significantly impact on our perceptions of system performance. There can be a whole bunch of physiological factors that might influence this that shouldn't be discounted when considering what the problem might be that should also been taken into account when wondering why your set-up sounds fantastic one day and relatively lousy the next that may be every bit as, if not more, important, than fluctuations in equipment performance.

You may have a Wooo leak. You could be entitled to compensation.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I think it's important not to overlook in the all of the technical remedies to this problem (which I certainly experience with my own system) the possibility that your ears might have a great deal to do with this as well: in short, we hear better on some days than others and this may well serve to significantly impact on our perceptions of system performance. There can be a whole bunch of physiological factors that might influence this that shouldn't be discounted when considering what the problem might be that should also been taken into account when wondering why your set-up sounds fantastic one day and relatively lousy the next that may be every bit as, if not more, important, than fluctuations in equipment performance.
    A contributing factor may or may not be atmospheric pressure. With changes in air pressure altering the way sound waves travel through the air.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A contributing factor may or may not be atmospheric pressure. With changes in air pressure altering the way sound waves travel through the air.
    Out there somewhere an audiophile is now plotting to build a pressurized chamber that has a constant atmospheric pressure at all times to prove this theory. It takes him ages and ages to get it right, time he could have spent listening to great music instead.