Page 82 of 129 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 3219

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I did a google image search and found a little bigger copy
    Ah yes, good idea. Big-ass version of the photo can be found here. From this we can identify Miles Davis "The Original Quintet (First Recording)," Paul Horn "Profile of a Jazz Musician," Lead Belly "Memorial, Vol.3" and others if I work at it.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    What's the audiophile's take on having your turntable in your fireplace?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    ^ It looks like it might be one of those flip phono models

A “warm” sound typical of Analog!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Dave's audio tip:
    Always make sure to wipe your feet on the doormat before stepping on your vinyl.

I spotted Crown of Creation
    It's the Atomic Mr. Basie, you dummy.

It's the Atomic Mr. Basie, you dummy.
    Cripes, you're right.

"Atomic Mr. Basie" = 1958
    "Crown of Creation" = 1968
    McQueen photo = 1963

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    You'll have to explain someday how frequencies WE CAN'T HEAR(!) could make a difference in our experience of music.
    Perhaps.
    Imagine a pond. throw a stone, it makes ripples. Throw another, bigger, or different or... it makes other ripples. These ripples will cross and makes synergy or counterditto, and new ripples emerge, bigger smaller, etc..
    Imagine this takes place above your hearing ability, but creates ripples in the lower spectrum you can hear or feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Perhaps.
    Imagine a pond. throw a stone, it makes ripples. Throw another, bigger, or different or... it makes other ripples. These ripples will cross and makes synergy or counterditto, and new ripples emerge, bigger smaller, etc..
    Imagine this takes place above your hearing ability, but creates ripples in the lower spectrum you can hear or feel.
    Many years ago, when I managed the service department of an audio company, one of my engineers designed a new preamp section for our tape player. The first run of circuit boards we had made all sounded terrible. It wasn't until we put the output on an oscilloscope that we figured out why : the main amplification stage was oscillating hypersonically, like at 30,000 or 40,000 cycles. We just needed to add a capacitor across the terminals to quelch it, and they worked fine.

I find that I like vinyl better than digital music more and more these days. The tech that exists today for a good turntable and sound is incredible nowadays. I agree with this person when they say "You need digital music. You should want vinyl records."
    https://musicology-101.com/?p=1153

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwomn View Post
    I find that I like vinyl better than digital music more and more these days. The tech that exists today for a good turntable and sound is incredible nowadays. I agree with this person when they say "You need digital music. You should want vinyl records."
    https://musicology-101.com/?p=1153
    If most vinyl starts with a digital master which is compressed to fit in the limited dynamic range of records, how can that be better. Granted that there is a lot of shitty digital mastering.

Banned
    Many years ago, when I managed the service department of an audio company, one of my engineers designed a new preamp section for our tape player. The first run of circuit boards we had made all sounded terrible. It wasn't until we put the output on an oscilloscope that we figured out why : the main amplification stage was oscillating hypersonically, like at 30,000 or 40,000 cycles. We just needed to add a capacitor across the terminals to quelch it, and they worked fine.
    In 77, I worked as a designer and next to me was a senior consultant who wrote the ic op amp cookbook. We would not have designed something with oscillations. The most interesting design I looked at was high power MOSFETs which were new. Today these devices are incorporated in class D architectures (including receivers) that need to amplify and drive 4 ohm speakers. Hafler was a follow on to Dynaco, and they designed power MOSFET amps, sometime referred to solid state tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    If most vinyl starts with a digital master which is compressed to fit in the limited dynamic range of records, how can that be better. Granted that there is a lot of shitty digital mastering.
    But a digital mastering might not be limited to max 20 khz like the CD is. DAT tapes were digital, but the limit was 100 khz.

But - there you go ?
    The sounds you heard were unwanted, but...

But a digital mastering might not be limited to max 20 khz like the CD is. DAT tapes were digital, but the limit was 100 khz.
    ??

16 bit, 32, 44.1 or 48 khz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tape
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Maybe trust your ears bot not your mind...

Paper on Illusory Sound Texture

Dave's audio tip:
    Always make sure to wipe your feet on the doormat before stepping on your vinyl.

I spotted Crown of Creation, In A Silent Way, Sketches, At Jazz Inn, and I could swear I recognize the sleeve just past the LP lying in the foreground.
    Pretty sure that's 'The Atomic Mr Basie' not Crown... and Kind of Blue not Silent Way.

edit- oops...missed a few posts.

But - there you go ?
    The sounds you heard were unwanted, but...
    Ultrasonics affected the audible frequencies, but not in a good way. I have trouble imagining an alternative.

I can't get over that giant bowl of cigarette packs on the coffee table in that shot of Sinatra.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Is that what they were? I was trying to figure it out.

Ultrasonics affected the audible frequencies, but not in a good way. I have trouble imagining an alternative.
    Strong self oscillating signals affect the linearity of the circuit, as the audible range signals are superimposed on the ultrasonic oscillation.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Actually, the opposite is true. Music on digital media more often than not is brickwalled to death. If vinyl records were brickwalled, they'd be unplayable. It would be like running one's stylus over a saw blade.

Apart from a Shostakovich Symphony, there are very few examples of music utilizing the full dynamic range of a CD.
    Last edited by progmatist; 08-01-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Ultrasonic tape biasing plays a major role in making magnetic tape recording possible.

I keep my CD recorder in the fireplace, for burning CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Apart from a Shostakovich Symphony, there are very few examples of music utilizing the full dynamic range of a CD.
    Which one? I might need to buy me this

I have some Copland that pushes the DR limit. I have Flim & The BBs. I have three test CDs called "Sonic Booms" by Brad S. Miller. John Greenland's "Soft Robot" comes pretty close. But I take your question.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Ultrasonic tape biasing plays a major role in making magnetic tape recording possible.
    ...but still in the linear range of the circuits. Self oscillations usually max out.