Page 21 of 129 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

You don't. Remember heavier=thicker. You are compensating for the thickness to get the correct SRA.

Ken, if there is such a large variance in the weight of records, how do turntables ensure they are spinning at 33 1/3 RPM?
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Because your motor is servo controlled and locks onto a rotational speed. A difference of 100 grams to a turntable motor is nothing. There is a turntable manufacturer called TTW (I think) who put out a promo video where he had his daughter stand on the platter and it locked onto the correct speed.

http://gizmodo.com/5825359/why-your-...n-your-new-one

I dunno man, I feel like I've always had very good but not "great" equipment throughout the years, but I'll take today's mid-fi over 70's mid-fi any day of the week

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    I'll take today's mid-fi over 70's mid-fi any day of the week
    Yeah, that article's bullshit. Unless you're talking state-of-the-art 1970s gear, almost ANYTHING today beats it six ways to Sunday.

You guys are just proving to me what an idiotic, antiquated absurd medium vinyl is *lol* There has to be a way to do analog mechanical playback with standardised media that doesn't degrade (as much) and doesn't introduce crazy tracking error that grows with every revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    You guys are just proving to me what an idiotic, antiquated absurd medium vinyl is *lol* There has to be a way to do analog mechanical playback with standardised media that doesn't degrade (as much) and doesn't introduce crazy tracking error that grows with every revolution.
    I buy 6 copies of every record I own so that I don't have to worry about degradation, which is a terrible problem.

Couldn't albums be made out of better, harder plastic? Has anyone really considered alternatives to vinyl? Something that could survive a really serious cleaning prior to playback. I want to be able to clean albums with alcohol and a wire brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    I buy 6 copies of every record I own so that I don't have to worry about degradation, which is a terrible problem.
    I have an easier solution. I buy only one copy, but I never take the shrink wrap off.

Fred

JVC Japan has a proprietary formula for vinyl that was incredible. Dead quiet, extremely durable. Unfortunately they closed their pressing plant and got out of the LP manufacturing business. For reasons unknown they refuse to license or sell the formula and no one has been able to replicate or improve upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Couldn't albums be made out of better, harder plastic? Has anyone really considered alternatives to vinyl? Something that could survive a really serious cleaning prior to playback. I want to be able to clean albums with alcohol and a wire brush.
    They have that. In fact, cleaning is not so big a deal if the music is encoded in a format that isn't degraded by dirt, say with something with built in error correction.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Fred

JVC Japan has a proprietary formula for vinyl that was incredible. Dead quiet, extremely durable. Unfortunately they closed their pressing plant and got out of the LP manufacturing business. For reasons unknown they refuse to license or sell the formula and no one has been able to replicate or improve upon it.
    Link please.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    They have that. In fact, cleaning is not so big a deal if the music is encoded in a format that isn't degraded by dirt, say with something with built in error correction.
    Yes, but I'm trying to help out the philist- er, analog purists I like the idea of vinyl; I miss albums. I miss the process of cleaning them, putting them on, watching the label spin while you listen. But I can't afford the kind of system that makes it worthwhile and I can not deal with surface noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    I must admit, I've bought 2 copies of an album I was crazy for at first purchase. Played one and packed the other away. Has to be something really special for me to do this nowadays as the cost per album is really getting up there. Come on people, start buying more vinyl so the price will dip alittle.
    The older I get, the better I was.

You don't. Remember heavier=thicker. You are compensating for the thickness to get the correct SRA.
    I have a new cart so since I'm at the table anyway, maybe I should consider making adjustments because of thickness. Since I've never made the adjustment in the past, I wonder what difference it will make to my ears?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I have a new cart so since I'm at the table anyway, maybe I should consider making adjustments because of thickness. Since I've never made the adjustment in the past, I wonder what difference it will make to my ears?
    Does your tonearm have VTA adjustment?

If you have a new cartridge you should also keep in mind that it needs some time to break in so the sound will change over time. Eventually you will have to reset all the parameters for loading, VTA, and VTF.

Does your tonearm have VTA adjustment?

If you have a new cartridge you should also keep in mind that it needs some time to break in so the sound will change over time. Eventually you will have to reset all the parameters for loading, VTA, and VTF.
    Yes it does Laser but it's still going through the breakin process. I usually take the table in twice a year for adjustments but I'm thinking I could learn to do some of them myself. Guess I always wanted to make sure the adjustments were done correctly.

First of all, this article is 19 years old. A lot can change in 20 years.

Second, two seconds with Google answered why JVC's "supervinyl" was discontinued, it's because the manufacturing process was dangerously toxic.

Doing these adjustments/tweaks yourself will help you learn a bit more about the physics of the table and how each affects the sound. Plus, it's part of the enjoyment of the hobby. Definitely read up on all of this, then take it on.

BTW - not sure why you would need to adjust anything twice a year, unless some component part has changed. Once set, there is little that could/should change with time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Second, two seconds with Google answered why JVC's "supervinyl" was discontinued, it's because the manufacturing process was dangerously toxic.
    Well it's nice to know that surface noise and pops are saving the planet.

Robert if it took you two seconds to find the answer with Google why are you wasting my time? Sorry if I didn't take the time to keep pecking on my iPhone to find you a more thorough answer. If you want to keep thread crapping that's your business but please don't be an ass hat about it.

The only advancements in vinyl since JVC shut down their pressing plant was Classic Records further development of Quiex-II. It was also very quiet. CR ran into problems when they moved from 180 gram to 200 gram vinyl. Pressing quality became erratic with many returns because of noise issues.

Why am I an "ass hat" for answering the question you said nobody had an answer to?

I mean, I'm still an asshat, but not for that reason.

Robert please don't be an ass hat about it.
    Not possible.

I mean, I'm still an asshat, but not for that reason.
    Here Here! Revelation of the day award!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.