Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenso CDs

Kate Fan Extraordinaire

Kenso CDs

Does anyone know of a good place to find (cheaper) Kenso albums? I am in need of everything but the live albums, Yume no Oka, Esoptron, and Fabulis Miraculis De Bombicosi (or whatever)...

Save your money... they are coming out with a box set, supposedly by the end of the year!

Kate Fan Extraordinaire
    Sweet - commercially available on amazon or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Seven8 View Post
    Save your money... they are coming out with a box set, supposedly by the end of the year!
    Wow, cool. I wonder if they are working on anything new?

Be prepared to fork out over $400

I’d rather just have the individual CDs, thank you...mainly as the only ones I need are the first one and Utsuroi yuku mono.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Five Suns I”-Guapo/Five Suns

i found kenso 2 on amazon for 14 bucks of course try ebay 532765_10150887764126947_1997376297_n.jpg

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    BOX-piece progressive rock band first KENSO appeared in a leading Japanese Limited Edition (with serial number) BOX specification luxury housing benefits. Prohibited miss buy, super precious treasure item!
    Specifications and gorgeous set of 14 pieces total plus bonus CD that consists of sound precious and ultra 3 title, the original studio album 8 all titles, LIVE album, a bonus DVD with footage LIVE unpublished.
    Specifications jacket paper as much as possible to reproduce miniaturized analog LP. (In the case of CD, the original piece into paper sleeve artwork was released based on the CD)
    · (SHM-CD, JVC HR-cutting) and the latest digital remastering sound specification is the first high-quality CD KENSO.
    Leader of KENSO: with deluxe booklet, including commentary by the newly written songs for the new KENSO Mr. Yoshihisa Shimizu, interview those involved, and unpublished photos.
    ● Form: all 14-Disc [CD + bonus all 11 titles CD (12 pieces total) + Bonus DVD (one) (one)]
    ● Specifications: CD sound quality / specification paper jacket (SHM-CD, JVC HR-cutting) special storage BOX specification luxury / deluxe booklet / latest digital remastering sound

http://diskunion.net/clubh/ct/detail/PGL-25000

I wish we could see what that box set looks like. How about someone take the plunge, and post photos

Kate Fan Extraordinaire
    I wish they would just make the older stuff available for digital download...

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    I wish we could see what that box set looks like. How about someone take the plunge, and post photos
    There isnt a photo of the package yet, but this is a nice official pdf that is advertsing the box and it's contents:

http://www1.u-netsurf.ne.jp/~kenso/n...23kensobox.pdf

Kenso CD's

I have most of them on ebay right now! Get 'em while you can!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/CDs-/176984/...=1&_ssn=proguk
    Last edited by ProgUK; 11-07-2012 at 06:00 AM.
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Right-- a couple of you posted the pdf-- thanks.

Looking thru my Kenso cds it looks like four of the live discs won't be included and two of the live ones included look like abbreviated versions unless they combined songs on their listings.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    I have most of them on ebay right now! Get 'em while you can!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/CDs-/176984/...=1&_ssn=proguk
    What are those Marco Minneman albums like?

I'm real happy right now that I have all the Kenso studio discs. I really do hope for something new from them.

They are one of the few bands that of their 16 releases, 8 are studio and 8 are live.

I think I have all of their early stuff, but nothing later than 'Sparta.' Love 'em.

Of their later stuff, what is recommended, bearing in mind that I'm not a great fan of Jazz-Rock/Fusion as such, but love it when put through the Prog-Rock blender?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I think I have all of their early stuff, but nothing later than 'Sparta.' Love 'em.

Of their later stuff, what is recommended, bearing in mind that I'm not a great fan of Jazz-Rock/Fusion as such, but love it when put through the Prog-Rock blender?
    Lots of folks here seem to like Yume no oka but it’s one of my less-liked Kenso albums. It’s just a little too slick, too “80s fusion” for my tastes. It’s probably the closest in style to Sparta, both albums are like two peas in a pod, the most “digital” sounding Kenso albums.

I really liked Esoptron but not a lot of other people seem to. It’s the odd man out in their catalogue, very stripped-down and hard rocking, yet still aurally Kenso. For me it was a breath of fresh air after the rather stuffy Yume no oka.

Fabulis mirabilibus de bombycosi scriptus (did I get that right? I did it from memory, so forgive me if I didn’t) still has a bit of the hard rock edge, but pulls back a bit, and adds a “world music” feel. I still haven’t quite cracked its shell but it’s a fascinating release all the same. Supposedly, Utsuroi yuku mono carries on in this vein, but I’ve yet to hear it.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"You can take the war out of the soldier, but you can't raise that soldier from the dead."
    --Shona Laing

N.P.:“Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-I”-Pink Floyd/Wish You Were Here

Yeah, if you like more rock than jazz, check out Esoptron. It's like Led Zeppelin with fusion chops. This is my fave from the album:

Their last two albums are definitely more 'angular' and complex, and still great.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Lots of folks here seem to like Yume no oka but it’s one of my less-liked Kenso albums. It’s just a little too slick, too “80s fusion” for my tastes. It’s probably the closest in style to Sparta, both albums are like two peas in a pod, the most “digital” sounding Kenso albums.

I really liked Esoptron but not a lot of other people seem to. It’s the odd man out in their catalogue, very stripped-down and hard rocking, yet still aurally Kenso. For me it was a breath of fresh air after the rather stuffy Yume no oka.

Fabulis mirabilibus de bombycosi scriptus (did I get that right? I did it from memory, so forgive me if I didn’t) still has a bit of the hard rock edge, but pulls back a bit, and adds a “world music” feel. I still haven’t quite cracked its shell but it’s a fascinating release all the same. Supposedly, Utsuroi yuku mono carries on in this vein, but I’ve yet to hear it.
    It always fascinates me how fans of the same band have such diverse opinions on the albums they made. Sparta is the first album Kenso made that I liked most of the way through, but I didn't like the recording, particularly the drum sound. Haven't heard the remix, though I'd like to. Yume No Oka is still my favorite. Great compositions, killer keyboard solos, and I thought the drummer exhibited a lot of taste on it; some flashy flourishes, but everything he played seemed right for the compositions. It was his last album with them and though the guy who replaced him is really good (sorry, I'm terrible at remembering Japanese names), I think he's busier and more frenetic than he needs to be. I really like Utsori Yuku Ono in spite of that though; it's a real wild ride with twists and turns all over the place; kind of the musical equivalent of a good action/adventure movie.

Kenso is right up my alley musically, being a fan of both prog and fusion. For me, when both genres are mixed together as coherently as Kenso does it (and I guess we're calling that "prog/fusion" ), it really scratches my itch. I've often wished that there was more improvisation in prog and more thorough composing in fusion, so the sub-genre of prog/fusion is the ideal solution, at least when done right. Bruford (the band) will always be my favorite in the prog/fusion arena, but Kenso comes in somewhere in my top 5 bands of this category.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I really like Utsori Yuku Ono in spite of that though; it's a real wild ride with twists and turns all over the place; kind of the musical equivalent of a good action/adventure movie.
    I think you describe that album really well. It's such a dense album, so many things going on, goes in all kinds of directions. Its a seriously proggy effort.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    What are those Marco Minneman albums like?
    To be honest i haven't even listened to them. I think its a mixture of Zappa-esque instrumental stuff and some vocal, but dont hold me to that.
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com