Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Magma in North America....

Chicago tix all secured. I didn't really consider whether I would get to see them again after 2007 NF! Just as weird as seeing PFM at Reggies. I'm starting to believe this music will survive and flurish again afterall!

That they sold out here in Chicago has a lot to say about Magma, than anything else. That's a feather in Reggie's cap, as they've lost a few bucks booking prog shows last year.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    That they sold out here in Chicago has a lot to say about Magma, than anything else. That's a feather in Reggie's cap, as they've lost a few bucks booking prog shows
    Chicago was a hotbed for innovative new rock music during most of the 90s and 2000s, and Magma were never really considered that "unhip" by the younger alternative crowd. It's still absolutely exhilarating to see them attract this amount of interest, of course. At least they won't have to do some Cruïse tö Destruktïw tour just yet.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Chicago was a hotbed for innovative new rock music during most of the 90s and 2000s, and Magma were never really considered that "unhip" by the younger alternative crowd. It's still absolutely exhilarating to see them attract this amount of interest, of course. At least they won't have to do some Cruïse tö Destruktïw tour just yet.
    A Magma cruise would be awesome.

They could have a raffle, and Christian visits the winners cabin to serenade them to sleep.

They could get together with a bunch of way-out oddball acts and perhaps rent a carferry, then play the English canal.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Chicago is awesome for music - saw Faust there in I think it was '99? RIP Lounge Axe.

chalkpie
    They could get together with a bunch of way-out oddball acts and perhaps rent a carferry, then play the English canal.
    Now 'yer talkin.

^ It would probably be kind of like Borat.

Carferries are a HUGE deal here in Norway, so they get one quite cheaply from the Hardanger Sunnhordlandske Dampskipsselskap ASA company. The audience will then have to purchase onboard sleepingbags and spend the remainder of the night outside on the cardeck or on passengers' upper wing by the bridge. Hot dogs will be served from the rubbish cafeteria; no drinks allowed, only fat coffee, salmonella-tainted tapwater and an old extra reserve of Tab diet coke.

Emergency vests are mandatory at all times. And there's only one toilet in operation, as the second one is soiled and the third has a flush that doesn't work.

Lineup: Magma, Aquaserge, PoiL, Corima, Future Kings of England, half of Panzerpappa and The All-Electric Kazoo Kings featuring Chris McGuire and Billy Sherwood with special guest Mikael Wilson, secret son of Åkerfäldt and Willy Nelson.

Stord(1970).jpg

^ I'm there!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Me too, in a heartbeat
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Chicago was a hotbed for innovative new rock music....
    Still is!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

^^And speaking of that, I see that Mano had a recent gig at Reggie's. They are very creative and awesome, to boot, and I hope that they will have some recordings upcoming. I loved their set at Progtoberfest last year.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    The setlist for the last couple of nights has been Riah, Kohntarkosz and Slag Tanz.
    "Zombies" encore.

(!!!)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

^^ Yes!!

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    "Zombies" encore.

(!!!)
    No way!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    "Zombies" encore.

(!!!)
    Zombies Woofs.

Definitely will see them in Canada. I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any idea if they might play different setlists between April and May? Might be worth a trip to the US anyway, but it would make the decision easier.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Definitely will see them in Canada. I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any idea if they might play different setlists between April and May?
    Dunno Sean.

Magma have always held the cards pretty close.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Dunno Sean.

Magma have always held the cards pretty close.
    And even if you can see them, they're in Kobian, so it's a bit confusing...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post

Mike
    Ha, this reminds me that in one of the Magma shows I saw, Klaus was singing Kobaia with the english lyrics (which made as much sense as the kobaian ones).
    I tried to take a picture of the lyric sheet that he had infront of him but it came out fuzzy (probably some sort of an anti-espionage kobaian trickery)
    So I still dont know what the frell he sings there...

chalkpie

Mike
    I think every language sounds made up.

Yeah, does four zaïns beat a full wortz?

Ok, my buddy and I are taking the Greyhound up from Pittsburgh to NYC for this. Instead of staying all night and getting home late the next day, we're taking a 3 am back. So my 2 questions for any NY'ers are:

1) Where's a good place to eat and hang before the show? Anywhere between the bus station and the club is fine.

2) Where's a good place to hang after the show until 2am on a Monday night?

Would appreciate any suggestions.

1) Head down to the club's area; A,C,E subway to W. 4th street. Or, depending on when you get to NYC, it's only a half hour (give or take a few minutes) walk if you want to stretch your legs some and take in some sights; walk over to 7th ave/Broadway from Port Authority (on 8th Ave.) via 42nd Street. That'll leave you in the heart of Times Square. Walk downtown via 7th ave. (street #'s get lower), pass Penn Station/Madison Square Garden; great pizza inside, lower level, Rose Pizza (there are 3, best is one next to Moe's/Philly Cheese). Or, keep walking as there is great food within blocks of the venue. MacDougall Street has a ton of cafes (Mamoun's for greek; falafel, schwarma, etc.) as does Bleecker Street. Joe's Pizza is highly recommended; across 6th ave. Take in Washington Square Park, weather permitting. Also depending on time, Chinatown and Little Italy are great food options; off Canal street (most subways stop there). Wo-Hop's @ 17 Mott Street (downstairs) has been feeding me for nearly 40 years. Wow, so much really.
    2) Tons of bars/clubs/cafe's within steps of the venue open late.

FYI for everyone going to NYC gig- When I stopped in the club a few days ago I was told the will call will start an hour before doors (7pm). It is a paperless system and you will go right in at that point after your id has been approved. Prolly best to get there by 6. Hard tickets were/are available from the box office; opens 5pm everyday.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973