Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Soleil Zeuhl / Mutant news

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The live material is certainly bootleg quality though I have listened to a lot worse. Once you get into listening to it the flaws drop away into the background while never going away. I certainly agree with the decision to include that material, it's good enough to be there with the warning.
    I have no problem at all with the sound quality. I've enjoyed many a bootleg that was far worse. This is a bit rough, but very clear, and the music itself is utterly thrilling. Fantastic release.

I like the VAK, it seems on a par with other good modern French Zeuhl such as Rhun. Nothing that knocks it out of the park but a good album I'll get plenty of listening out of.
    You can see 2 videos of the band live in the studio here : http://vakprogband.wix.com/site (click "videos" on the right).

A.

3 of the label releases from 2015 are now available for official download and/or streaming, on : Itunes, eMusic, Amazon Music, Spotify, 7Digital, Neurotic Media, Google Play & Deezer.
    The 3 albums are : SCHERZOO "03" / UNIT WAIL "Beyond space Edges" / La STPO "L'imparfait multiple de dieu". As a start, for checking if there's some interest around...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Scherzoo & Unit Wail are equally superb, a year of terrific releases, enjoying all of them.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I listyened to Scherzoo's 03 album (bought in Carmaux) on my way to work, this morning ... and this is quite a step u^p from their previous two

I didn't buy the Unit Wail though (despite Alain's recommendations), as I was not all that impressed by their previous albums nor by their concerts at the SZ of two years ago.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The latest Unit Wail is the best of the three.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I listyened to Scherzoo's 03 album (bought in Carmaux) on my way to work, this morning ... and this is quite a step u^p from their previous two

I didn't buy the Unit Wail though (despite Alain's recommendations), as I was not all that impressed by their previous albums nor by their concerts at the SZ of two years ago.
    LOL, I'm of exactly the opposite opinion on the latest Scherzoo and Unit Wail albums. In both cases, I prefer the previous efforts and was a little disappointed with these. I didn't hate either of them, but I didn't get as excited about these as the earlier albums. Probably time for a revisit.

I also thought it was a sort of odd decision to put that other band's material on the Scherzoo album. It's good stuff, but I'd have preferred it stand on its own, and I felt it sort of short-changed the Scherzoo stuff. Just my .02 cents on it.

Bill

http://zacharynathanson.blogspot.fr/...ace-edges.html

The Apsara cd is a revelation
    The audio quality issues disappear completely by the sheer brilliance of the performance
    Any fan of Shub needs to check this out

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    The Apsara cd is a revelation
    The audio quality issues disappear completely by the sheer brilliance of the performance
    Any fan of Shub needs to check this out
    Yup, pretty much must buy for a Shubhead
    Ian

The Altais/Apsara pack is easily some of the best Zeuhl that has ever reached these ears. I'm enjoying the live tracks way more than the studio material presented here. Not to say the studion material is lacking in any way, but that live recording is absolutely smoking. It scratched a nice little Zeuhl itch I've been having lately.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Yup, pretty much must buy for a Shubhead
    Da checker Chubby-Shubs?

Honestly I felt a bit reluctant at first due to the seemingly scarce amount of "real" recorded material on this (check the Radar Favourites release, which is fairly OK but leaving some to be desired when missing those lost demos), but knowing and relying (er... trusting) you guys has altered my position now. I'll have to check out 'em pre-Chubbers.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Da checker Chubby-Shubs?

Honestly I felt a bit reluctant at first due to the seemingly scarce amount of "real" recorded material on this (check the Radar Favourites release, which is fairly OK but leaving some to be desired when missing those lost demos), but knowing and relying (er... trusting) you guys has altered my position now. I'll have to check out 'em pre-Chubbers.
    It might be worth noting that my copy says a limited edition of 500.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I was going to mention the same thing, get em while they're hot, and they're smoking.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post
    The Altais/Apsara pack is easily some of the best Zeuhl that has ever reached these ears. I'm enjoying the live tracks way more than the studio material presented here. Not to say the studion material is lacking in any way, but that live recording is absolutely smoking. It scratched a nice little Zeuhl itch I've been having lately.
    Altais is really oppresive (save the ambient last track), probably the most opppressive Zeuhl music I've been given to hear... I tendto prefer the Apsara disc

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It might be worth noting that my copy says a limited edition of 500.
    Mine too

I was going to mention the same thing, get em while they're hot, and they're smoking.
    mmmhhh!!!... I could be persuaded to part from my copy...

Glad to have heard it, but this will not get regular spins... I'm definitely not into Niggurath enough for tis to gather some shelf space.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post

They've got a new album out soon, and it will a live context
    https://www.rythmes-croises.org/sche...-la-cinquieme/

Called unsurprisingly 05, but surprinsingly it's not in Soleil Zeuhl/Mutant, but on the label Lizard record

https://scherzoo.bandcamp.com/album/05

Scherzoo 5 is killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Scherzoo 5 is killer.
    It's interesting to hear the current version of Scherzoo stretch out on a longer composition, the 14-minute Tsunami. I think it works pretty well. Thollot definitely absorbed the Magma lesson of building intensity through repetition.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I like it a lot.
    Ian