Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simpsons Genesis reference

Simpsons Genesis reference

I still love The Simpsons after all this time. Many gave up long ago, but I always find something to laugh at.

So last night's episode was about Homer and the other Dads getting together to form the cover band Covercraft. They find that Apu has a perfect 80's power ballad voice, so he sings. The original band Sungazer (far past retirement age) hear him sing at the Springfield Cabbage Festival and whisk him away to replace their dead singer.

Homer is pissed and he gets in this conversation with Bart:

Homer: You know what? Apu leaving is the best thing that ever happened to this band. We're gonna be like Genesis after Peter Gabriel left.
    Bart: You mean more popular but not as good?
    Homer: Phil Collins-era Genesis is not as good, huh? "No Reply at All," "Land of Confusion," "Throwing it All Away," "Illegal Alien," "I Can't Dance," and I'm sure I don't need to mention "Invisible Touch"! .........Hmph!

Classic!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I actually caught the last couple minutes of this, but missed that scene. Funny. If Bart had said Phil Collins ruined Genesis, we'd know the writer was hip to PE.

I still like the one where Bart was a drummer, then broke his arm and couldn't play anymore. "I used to be a great drummer! Now I'm nothing! Just like Phil Collins!".

But my favorite one was on a short lived comedy show the Fox network had on back when it first started. I can't even remember the name of the show, but there was a bit that went like this: "The definition of redudnant: Phil Collins using a drum machine!"

BTW, Apu's "perfect 80's voice" was courtesy of Stryper's Matthew Sweet.

And that really was Sammy Hagar doing Sammy Hagar's voice.

Matt Groening is actually a pretty big music guy - particularly a fan of Zappa and Beefheart, so prog-era Genesis wouldn't surprise me.

Let's not forget that Homer's favorite band is Grand Funk.

...how or why would I know that?...

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Let's not forget that Homer's favorite band is Grand Funk.

...how or why would I know that?...
    "The wild shirtless lyrics of Mark Farner...the bong-rattling bass of Mel Schacher...the competent drumwork of Don Brewer..."

The line was somewhat funny but the episode as a whole was not that good.

Not "the worst episode ever" but not classic Simpsons.

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." - Homer

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    "The wild shirtless lyrics of Mark Farner...the bong-rattling bass of Mel Schacher...the competent drumwork of Don Brewer..."

I miss classic Simpsons!!

I'd like to see them mention some PG era songs.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Suspended
    Why does everyone get so excited about which artist or celebrity gets a mention on The Simpsons? Is that considered the Seal of Approval these days?

I remember David letterman had a Top 10 list of obscure bible versus. One was from the book of genesis that explains why they sucked after Peter Gabriel left.

Also, Dennis Miller used to have a joke about shaving his head like Peter Gabriel on the foxtrot tour.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Why does everyone get so excited about which artist or celebrity gets a mention on The Simpsons? Is that considered the Seal of Approval these days?
    This is a music forum. That is what is talked about here. A few comments the day after the show, hardly qualifies as "so excited."

I always liked this one:

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Matt Groening is actually a pretty big music guy - particularly a fan of Zappa and Beefheart, so prog-era Genesis wouldn't surprise me.
    He also managed to squeeze in more references to Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida than was allowable in polite company.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post

This is a music forum. That is what is talked about here. A few comments the day after the show, hardly qualifies as "so excited."
    +1

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I'm not just referring to people on this forum, and Genesis. Never mind, guess I trod on some toes there.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm not just referring to people on this forum, and Genesis. Never mind, guess I trod on some toes there.
    No, but we can't speak for the rest of the world. You'll have to ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Groening isn't just a Zappa fan, he actually participated in Frank's last major interview.

BTW, did anyone notice that in the dressing room, when Homer finds out that Apu's "rock star life" isn't so great, on the wall, there's a photo of The B-Sharps (Homer, Apu, Principal Skinner, and Barney's barbershop quartet".

Barney: I'm going to take our music into new, strange directions. Then proceeds to play tape that appears to be a loop alternating between him belching and his new Japanese girlfriend saying "Number 8" repeated.

And when they did the concert on the roof of Moe's at the end, George Harrison drives by and says "Eh, it's been done already!".

I also the bit where he's talking about his favorite bass players: "That guy from The Who, and the guy from Led Zeppelin who isn't Robert Plant, Jimmy Page or John Bonham".

Why not? What else do we have to get exited about these days? Any prog bands writing about Ferguson? I thought not.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Dennis Miller used to have a joke about shaving his head like Peter Gabriel on the foxtrot tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    [Groening] also managed to squeeze in more references to Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida than was allowable in polite company.
    Putting the two together: When he had his late night talk show years ago, Miller, for no particular reason, began naming the members of Iron Butterfly during his opening--and rapidly tanking--monologue. He was cancelled a couple of days later.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Even Hero's have hero's. You should see the reaction of some well known artists when meeting Peter Hammill or Steve Hackett etc

Groening is such a big Beefheart fan he hired him to play the All Tomorrow's Parties festival he curated in 2003. He sponsored the Crazy Backwards Alphabet album (1992) bringing together Michael Maksymenko (from Kraldjursanstalten), Andy West (Dixie Dregs), John French (Magic Band) & Henry Kaiser. He also wrote the liner notes for the Magic Band reunion album, "Back to the Front" (2003).

Makes me wonder: has he ever slipped any Beefheart references into the Simpsons or Futurama?

Hmmm, apparently not.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-26-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I still love The Simpsons after all this time. Many gave up long ago, but I always find something to laugh at.

So last night's episode was about Homer and the other Dads getting together to form the cover band Covercraft. They find that Apu has a perfect 80's power ballad voice, so he sings. The original band Sungazer (far past retirement age) hear him sing at the Springfield Cabbage Festival and whisk him away to replace their dead singer.

Homer is pissed and he gets in this conversation with Bart:

Homer: You know what? Apu leaving is the best thing that ever happened to this band. We're gonna be like Genesis after Peter Gabriel left.
    Bart: You mean more popular but not as good?
    Homer: Phil Collins-era Genesis is not as good, huh? "No Reply at All," "Land of Confusion," "Throwing it All Away," "Illegal Alien," "I Can't Dance," and I'm sure I don't need to mention "Invisible Touch"! .........Hmph!

Classic!
    OMG that is so funny--don't watch the show any more but that is just great --thanks. Think Hackett should have that on a loop before his concerts start. lol