Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical music

As long as we're on a Sibelius binge......

"Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    As long as we're on a Sibelius binge......

As far as Sibelius interpretations, there are sure so many outstanding recordings. But when it comes to his orchestral works, very few are on the W.Furtwangler's league. His interpretations of Sibelius 'En Saga' tone poem and the Violin Concerto has been my favourites, absolutely exhilarating!
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 08-23-2016 at 06:51 PM. Reason: As long as replaced by As far as
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Sibelius "En Saga op 9", Wilhelm Furtwängler, 1950

"Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Discovered this one recently.

Holst "The Planets" was very influential to the world of Prog musicians. The influence is often pointed in the direction of King Crimson for their take on Mercury,, The Bringer Of War...but then take notice of the intro to "The Prophet " by Yes, " Joybringer. by Manfred Mann, and a few signature lines in songs by Renaissance and Lucifer's Friend. Some of these examples are just outright silly but everyone seemed to borrow from The Planets. There are many more examples and you have to observe closely to hear it.

^^The Planets was the influence for the song Black Sabbath. Geezer was messing around playing Mars, Tony put his own spin on it, and that became THE riff.

Shostakovich 4, 6, and 10

^^The Planets was the influence for the song Black Sabbath. Geezer was messing around playing Mars, Tony put his own spin on it, and that became THE riff.
    Interesting!

I'm going to have to play this because for the life of me I don't get any connection between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody have any experience with Tilson Thomas and Gershwin?

Bernstein seems to be regarded by most as the go-to for Gershwin, but I've read some really encouraging things about Michael Tilson Thomas in this regard. Is there anybody familiar with both who could offer a comparison?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I'm going to have to play this because for the life of me I don't get any connection between the two.
    You only have to listen to the first three melody notes of Mars, layered on top of the opening ostinato.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most likely the usage of the tri tone interval which was evident on In The Court Of The Crimson King, however Tony Iommi simplified the idea of it to back a vocal in the verse of a Rock song. The notes in the song "Black Sabbath" are basically the same as "Mars the Bringer of War" but not rhythmically played the same. Perhaps Iommi adapted the idea itself for a Rock song...but it was not noticeable and somewhat masked behind the different approach to a different style of music completely. Music that was a thousand light years from sounding Classical, but revealed the possibility of borrowing some of it's note passages in order to alter the sound in Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    First Opera me and my brother ever went to see at the Met in NY. James Levine conducting. One of the longest nights of my life. Love this opera, but seeing it performed live was a test of perseverance.

You only have to listen to the first three melody notes of Mars, layered on top of the opening ostinato.
    I get it now, but still seems a little far fetched to me. I thought I heard where the first three notes in Black Sabbath were somehow tired to a satanic ritual or something to that effect. Could Holst have used this for the bringer of war theme of Mars? Now that would make sense to me.

First Opera me and my brother ever went to see at the Met in NY. James Levine conducting. One of the longest nights of my life. Love this opera, but seeing it performed live was a test of perseverance.
    My wife went to se The Flying Dutchman yesterday, and at times had similar thoughts.

I get it now, but still seems a little far fetched to me. I thought I heard where the first three notes in Black Sabbath were somehow tired to a satanic ritual or something to that effect. Could Holst have used this for the bringer of war theme of Mars? Now that would make sense to me.
    The flat 5th has traditionally been thought of as "the Devil's 5th."

Symphonie fantastique... sans doute!

PS: That was Igor Markevitch's vibrant debut recording on DG.

This literally mind blowing piece just got me wondering what on earth Beethoven did get inspiration from. interestingly, he composed this 'theme-and-variations' piece just before his Symphony No. 3 'Eroica', composed the following year, with the variations in the Eroica Symphony following that same pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Zimerman has ultimately been among my very favourite pianists, and this recording of the 24 Debussy's Preludes is just exhilarating too!
    Being struck again by the strong escapism of the Romantic Era music is to me essentially like one of the most viciously joyful trips that puts me down when it finally comes to an end. So, from time to time I need to come back to those musics, as to breathing some fresh air again.

It couldn't have begun better today without Krystian Zimerman pulling off a freakin' overwhelming interpretation of such a classic Romantic Era piece that countless times has literally blown me far away from here. Kudos to Zimerman!.. I can feel he expressing his fervorous and restless love for this music on each and every key he presses...... on every move he makes in front of the Piano...

Two things I discovered today

Something sounds familiar, but I don't know where I've heard it before

The first one is also played with a Chinese orchestra

ANGELIQUE KIDJO - RAVEL'S BOLERO

Angelique Kidjo is da bomb, I've loved her for years!

Beautiful work for brass, winds, and percussion.

Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France, conductor: Myung-Whun Chung

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Beautiful work for brass, winds, and percussion.

Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France, conductor: Myung-Whun Chung
    Co-signed.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide