Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical music

The only other composer I've taken somewhat of a liking to is Mendelssohn. Love his 12 String Symphonies, which he wrote between the ages of 12 and 14 (the little bastard). The 10th is my fave, altho this is not my fave version:

That little contrapuntal part towards the end just kills me!

And naturally, Beethoven's 6th is a classic fave. Who doesn't love the Pastorale? I once borrowed a CD of his "late string quartets". Wow. Impressive but not really enjoyable to me, except for his Grosse Fugue. I shouldn't like this but I love it!

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Hell yeah!, even goddess Martha can get the better of Martha, she DID get carried (and hell blown) away in the final by the most maniacal and frenzied spirit I've ever seen (and heard hahahah)!
    Fantastic!
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    if he's to be considered the father of symphonic music. </tongue in cheek>
    In fact, these sorts of issues don't have space in Classical discussion forums and reviews, I mean there isn't the slightest shadow of unanimity about WHO is it.

Still, I'm woefully behind in my investigation of baroque. I've heard works by Monteverdi, Cavalli, Lully, Pachelbel, Corelli, Albinoni, Rameau, and Fasch, but couldn't tell you specifically what I've heard.
    If you are really enjoying Baroque music, I suggest you Silvius Leopold Weiss, you can't go wrong with him, he unleashed a whole new style of very complex, difficult, and highly ornamentalized musical works.

My favorite composers would have to be Telemann and Handel, closely followed by Vivaldi (whose Four Seasons I still haven't completely heard). Here's another one of my favorite works, Concerto Grosso #10, op 6, by Handel:

Fixed it to you , Andrew Manze' recording with the Academy of Ancient Music is indeed a must-have.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

I once borrowed a CD of his "late string quartets". Wow. Impressive but not really enjoyable to me, except for his Grosse Fugue. I shouldn't like this but I love it!
    Well, if you should not like it then who else?, Igor Stravinsky described the Grosse Fugue as "an absolutely contemporary piece of music that will be contemporary forever".

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Andrew Manze' recording with the Academy of Ancient Music is indeed a must-have.
    I just listened to them back to back and I gotta say I prefer Raymond Leppard and the English Chamber Orchestra's version. Of course, I admit it was the first I heard so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

But I must thank you profusely. The version I posted was a recording I made years ago and posted to YouTube, not actually knowing who recorded it. When I searched for "concerti grossi op 6 no 10" on YT, I discovered the version I have by accident.

And that's another problem I have with classical music: interpretations. That Telemann piece I posted I heard on the radio years ago but missed who recorded it. I didn't even know the name of the piece. Having never heard of Telemann, I figured it probably wouldn't be too hard to find since he probably hadn't composed that many works. Boy was I wrong. lol. Some think he may have been the most prolific composer in history and I spent a day and a half listening to samples online just to find the name of the piece! But, anyway, I love Harnoncourt's interpretation. Many others I've heard don't quite capture the beauty of it, imo.

The same with that Mendelssohn piece. I've heard dozens of versions and I still come back to the London Festival Orchestra's version of it (the version I posted is the Northern Chamber Orch. I own the CD but couldn't find a recording of it online). My biggest complaint is that most orchestras play the end too fast. The LFO sound like they're playing 16th notes but I've heard some versions where it sounds like they're playing 32nd notes. The NCO's version is better than most but it still sounds too fast to me.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Some modern composers I like are
    Wim Mertens

Simeon ten Holt, who is no longer among us

Johan de Meij, who seems to do quite well in the US and even has his music played by US orchestra's

Grandioso!
    BTW, what a collection of great ideas encapsulated into his 12 transcendental pieces.

As far as not the father of symphonic music is concerned but God of it, these are my symphonic music gods: The 3 B's. But here Bach is left out, as according to my tastes he is not at all at the league of Beethoven, Brahms and Bruckner when it comes to the very pínnacle of musical expression - the Symphony.

Been loving this Carlos Kleiber's interpretation, especially the orchestral texture and tempos, almost as good as Karajan's best recording! Brilliant to my ears.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 04-15-2016 at 07:40 PM.

What a beautiful and accessible epic symphony , and it could not be otherwise given the historical facts behind its creation.

A couple of ultras.....

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Oh how could I forget an all-inclusive 5 stars!

Wow... it happened again! On 'memory repeat' all day and night long yesterday.

What an incredible tone poem! Incredible how powerfully it sets such a stunning scene.....

During winter time.....with some old scottish whisky it will be really fine

^^^
    She's hot these days!

A vocal work I really enjoy is Samuel Barber's Knoxville Summer 1915. There are several fine versions by Leontyne Price, Silvia McNair, Barbara Hendricks, etc. But I like this powerhouse performance by Kathleen Battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    ^^^
    She's hot these days!
    Good voice too

Been dipping my toes into the music of Danish composer Per Norgard.Going to see a piece of his at Lincoln Center next Saturday night.Here's Norgard's Symphony No. 3.Enjoy.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

^^^
    I have several Norgard CDs including that one. He's a tough nut to crack. But he's definitely got his own musical concepts and original style. Walt, you may want to try the piece, Terrains Vague, also on Chandos. It's a more viceral and aggresive work with some great sounding bass trombones. And it's paired with his 6th symphony. I also found his late string quartets a little easier to penetrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    ^^^
    I have several Norgard CDs including that one. He's a tough nut to crack. But he's definitely got his own musical concepts and original style. Walt, you may want to try the piece, Terrains Vague, also on Chandos. It's a more viceral and aggresive work with some great sounding bass trombones. And it's paired with his 6th symphony. I also found his late string quartets a little easier to penetrate.
    Reid,yesterday i ordered that Chandos cd with his 6th and Terrains Vague and a cd of his 3rd symphony.Looking forward to spinning'em.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Reid,yesterday i ordered that Chandos cd with his 6th and Terrains Vague and a cd of his 3rd symphony.Looking forward to spinning'em.
    I hope you enjoy them, Walt. Norgard is one of the leading modern composers.

First time I've heard any Bartok played on guitar.

I listened yo Bernstein's version of Mahler's 9th the other day and it just blows me away every time I hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tchaikovsky 6th, nicknamed the Pathetic because it didn't follow a normal structure. It is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I listened yo Bernstein's version of Mahler's 9th the other day and it just blows me away every time I hear it.
    Playing Mahler's 9th at the minute (Rattle) and just thinking that the adagio in particular could very well be my favourite piece of music.

Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    Playing Mahler's 9th at the minute (Rattle) and just thinking that the adagio in particular could very well be my favourite piece of music.
    I've been on a Mahler kick lately. Played the 2nd yesterday. He was an incredible composer. The only symphony by him that I'm not crazy over is the 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk