Thread: Classical music in mulit-channel

Classical music in mulit-channel

Anyone listen to classical in a multi channel format? If so, any suggestions?

I recently picked up a Giacinto Scelsi dvd-a on Mode (Vol. 2) of 3 of his orchestral works and here are some random thoughts...

1-the rears seem to provide room ambience, nothing crazy going on like say, those Xenakis discs.
    2-I suspect the above will be the case on most classical music.
    3-for the hell of it, I set my receive on the "concert hall in Vienna" setting and there was a noticable difference in fullness
    4-The music is awsome...I don't think Scelsi is the most widely listened to composer in classical music land but, based on this recording, if that's true, then the fella is highly underrated!
    5-A couple of the pieces have many percussionists and large choirs resulting in big sound and vast cosmic significance
    6-There were moments of seemingly Satanic invocations that if I played any louder would have probably summoned the scaly horned goat god himself.
    7-I played it very loud...but not loud enough to result in no. 6 thankfully.

Another multi channel disc I recently picked up (upon the recommendation of Chalkpie) was Nikolaus Harnoncourt conducting the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra playing Dvorak #9-From the New World and his tone poem "The Water Goblin" (Teldec). Random thoughts...

1-Phenomenally great sound and again...see nos. 1, 2 and 3 above.
    2-I'm going to see the CSO perform Dvorak #9 this Saturday and wanted to be prepared.
    3-I can swear I've heard some of this music before, possibly in films...it's gorgeous
    4-Music of many moods and many themes...and it was all very welcoming and relaxing
    5-I have promptly ordered Dvorak's symphony nos. 7 and 8 on SACD coming soon
    6-"The Water Goblin" has orchestral percussion that will re-arrange the cells in your stomach
    7-My wife loves this shit...so I can play it loud whenver I damm well please and not have to worry about it.

...so, does anyone have any other suggestions? Style/period does not matter, I care more about sound. (Although I'd like to stay away from opera)

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    the scaly horned goat god himself.
    Thought the election was yesterday?