Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Crimso'? wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    "Crimso" has long been a nickname for the band. Probably dating back 40+ years. Other examples include "Zep" for Led Zeppelin, "Moodies" for Moody Blues, etc.
    It came from a letter someone wrote to the NME or Melody Maker in the 70s. Written in Jamaican slang, praised soul music and said "Who needs de King Crimso." Became a band in-joke afterwards. The letter was reprinted in the Young Person's Guide booklet.

"Crimso Camples"-- a thread title to make the heads of those who hate in-jokes explode!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    It came from a letter someone wrote to the NME or Melody Maker in the 70s. Written in Jamaican slang, praised soul music and said "Who needs de King Crimso." Became a band in-joke afterwards. The letter was reprinted in the Young Person's Guide booklet.
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...l=1#post328461

Nobody reads my crap.

"Crimso" (even though developed as an in-joke) reminds me of the common "Led Zepplin" misspelling. (is it too much trouble to add that extra 'e'? )
    Now, if those folks were referring to "Len Zefflin" that would be a different matter.

spokane68-ad.jpg
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    "Crimso" (even though developed as an in-joke) reminds me of the common "Led Zepplin" misspelling. (is it too much trouble to add that extra 'e'? )
    Now, if those folks were referring to "Len Zefflin" that would be a different matter.
    Some folks have to get it out of their heads that it's anything to do with spelling.

It's a nickname. The fact that it shaves a letter is nothing to do with anybody trying to "save" a letter. Dave has referenced how it began.

It's been used for years. Google "Crimso" and Elephant Talk and you'll see that the fan mailing list alone has over eighteen thousand (18,000) uses of it.

IMO, what's surprising is how many people have made their way to a Progressive Rock discussion board and "Crimso" is a nickname for King Crimson which is new to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Yeah, there's the 'Crimso' story in a nutshell, more accurate than the one I posted.

chalkpie
    Crimso doesn't even come close to The Cardiacs.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Yeah, there's the 'Crimso' story in a nutshell, more accurate than the one I posted.
    Well, it never occurred to me that it would be Jamaican slang, but looking at it you may be right. I always just figured the guy was mentally impaired.

The original letter back in August 1969 was written in Irish not Jamaican dialect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    egg Zachary
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

So, this is probably a dumb question, but who are "dem Bossom Tomes"?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You guys don't have a problem with calling Vangelis "Vangina," do you?

I find internet abbreviations like WTF to be annoying ...
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Most misspelled band name? Procul Harum, often by those one might think would know better.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    LOL!

QFT

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Crimso doesn't even come close to The Cardiacs.
    AHHHH!!!

or people that say "absolutely" instead of "yes" Now that is annoying
    Last edited by Dave; 11-03-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Most terms don't bother me too much, but those who say, "irregardless" or "ex-pecially" really rock my boat.

Well as long as it's just a pet peeve expression thread whoever came up with the whole album "dropping" thing- "The new album by Painful Rectal Itch drops next Tuesday!" should die in a fire. Albums don't drop, they're released. Turds drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Smith View Post
    Ah... I don't feel completely dumb for not getting that immediately. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well as long as it's just a pet peeve expression thread whoever came up with the whole album "dropping" thing- "The new album by Painful Rectal Itch drops next Tuesday!" should die in a fire. Albums don't drop, they're released. Turds drop.
    It's worse than that. I'm starting to see this crap all over the place, for example:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...house-dispute/
    "On Aug. 31, 2010, The Post drops its story on the Oval Office makeover, much of which took place while the Obama family had been on vacation (between the time of the Lamb interview and the story in The Post)."
    The Washington Post buttwad says that "The Post drops its story" when he means that they printed the story. Idiot.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Ugh. You write stupid. Write sophisticate like me.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I have a Facebook friend and former work colleague who put her ultrasound up on FB and announced to the world that "our baby will drop on [whatever due date it was]." Seriously?