Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Relayer in 5.1 Now

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Or perhaps it's an unwillingness to read the manual and run the calibration with a microphone.
    Very likely a set up problem. Agreed.
    Unfortunately, some folks believe a $300.00 Home Theater In A Box system should sound really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Unfortunately, some folks believe a $300.00 Home Theater In A Box system should sound really good.
    If it's what they can afford than it probably does!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Got to hear a friend's copy of the stereo tracks on the Sound Resources monitors... let me just say that my opinion of Steve W.'s remixes until now basically range from "meh" (the Tull remixes) to anger and umbrage (CttE and BSS). So it is with great pleasure that I can say that, for me at least, Relayer is everything I hoped it would be. It is like listening to master tapes and not a 5th generation cassette played on a 50s era player. No stupid takes and bits that were wisely left off in the first place are reinserted in the mix. (Well, maybe a few seconds of nylon string in Sound Chaser but it's not too bad). He mixed it probably 95% the way I would have in terms of balance; a couple keyboard parts are low for my liking but that's quibbling. This is the final, true, definitive version of this album for me and every one that has ever proceeded it belongs in a bonfire, including vinyl. Heck, especially most of the American vinyl pressings. Steve gets a lifetime pass for this.

I just heard the stereo version of Gates and the kooky battle effects are still in there - confused.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Most of them are there- I think there are some missing which were overdubs but the balance is great now imho.

Thanks, I'll have to give it a closer listen now. Although I was hoping that all those sound effects were gone. Guess I'll always have Yesshows.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

let me just say that my opinion of Steve W.'s remixes until now basically range from "meh" (the Tull remixes) to anger and umbrage (CttE and BSS)
    Steve Wilson didn't do the recent Brain Salad Surgery remixes, Jakko Jakszyk did. He bowed out from doing any more ELP stuff after working on the debut and Tarkus.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Steve Wilson didn't do the recent Brain Salad Surgery remixes, Jakko Jakszyk did. He bowed out from doing any more ELP stuff after working on the debut and Tarkus.
    Oh, that's right. My bad. I haven't heard Wilson's Tarkus.

I received my copy yesterday. This is Wilson's best mix of a Yes album so far. Some previous stereo mixes of this album have sounded either harsh or very dull. Overall, this 5.1 mix is very warm with good detail. He avoids a previous tendency to highlight certain instruments or parts via channel isolation. Overall, it compares favorably to the 5.1 live version on Symphonic live.
    The best explanation for the difference is that it BLENDS better than it opens up all the parts. Make no mistake, some parts are easier to distinguish, but they don't seem to be in a corner, away from the rest of what's going on. This is most notable of Chris' bass parts in TGOD.
    I suspect those who generally do not like surround mixes because of the sonic trickery would actually enjoy this 5.1 immensely.

If you check the liner notes insert, there is an explanation about the sound effects in GOD. Also, one of the ticket stubs in the booklet is from the exact concert I was at in Fort Worth on December 4, 1974. Really cool to see that!

The general consensus seems to be positive but you're all referring to the 5.1 mix -I don't have 5.1 or blu-ray or dvd-a just a straight CD player -is it still going to sound good on a normal CD?

I'm talking about the stereo mix. Yes, the regular stereo cd blows any existing version out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    The general consensus seems to be positive but you're all referring to the 5.1 mix -I don't have 5.1 or blu-ray or dvd-a just a straight CD player -is it still going to sound good on a normal CD?
    Yes, it's the best version so far IMO

I have the original Atlantic, Gaswirt, Rhino, and SACD, and now this FYI

Obviously you won't be blown away like you would with the 5.1 but still worthwhile

I got to hear the DTS 5.1 on a really high end system yesterday and was floored

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Relayer Isolated vocals
    You've solved perhaps the greatest mystery of our lifetime, just what is being sung at the end of "To Be Over"?

In all seriousness, great job and thank you for sharing that

Tres cool!

BG

Relayer Isolated vocals
    Things like this are the best most awesome reason to have multichannel mixes. And Rockband

Aw shit- Moraz's solo was on that track and it's not there!! Grrr. Dang you can hear some gnarly punches isolated *lol

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'm talking about the stereo mix. Yes, the regular stereo cd blows any existing version out of the water.
    Thanks -Its going on my Christmas list.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Thanks, I'll have to give it a closer listen now. Although I was hoping that all those sound effects were gone. Guess I'll always have Yesshows.
    Ha ha! Yeah, that's the version I like.

The battle effects sit in the mix properly now, they aren't harsh and brittle. To me at least. Give it a try. They are an important part of that section, really.

Relayer Isolated vocals
    How on earth are you managing to do this? Is it on the 5.1 set? or are you using some sort of software / desk to isolate channels yourself?

I have been thinking for decades now that one day they'll sell us all of this awesome music in a form that we can mix ourselves.
    It's game over then.
    Give me The Lamb in a form I whereby I can isolate every element and I'm quitting my job, getting divorced and selling the kids to the Arabs.
    Last edited by rael74; 11-11-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Relayer Isolated vocals
    VERY cool, though you can understand why Eddie Offord must have been having kittens with some of Yes' vocals over the years. Even Anderson's final performances have loads of iffy intonation and various assorted rough spots. But thank goodness everyone concerned cared more about spirit and content rather than technical perfection.

Also, it's interesting that all the vocals for Relayer can be boiled down to about 15 minutes. That kind of instrumental-vocal balance works for me, and is probably one thing that's been bugging many of us when it comes to Yes' more recent recordings.

And how about this little nugget from the same site?

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

As much as I'm enjoying this one it is only whetting my appetite for Topographic Oceans, which I hope is next

Should be the pinnacle

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    As much as I'm enjoying this one it is only whetting my appetite for Topographic Oceans, which I hope is next

Should be the pinnacle

BG
    Same here

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29...all-1976_music

Sound Chaser 3 SPECIAL : DEMO / STUDIO RUN THROUGH / LIVE