Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Science Group "Spoors"

chalkpie
    Hey Bob - I figured you might want to know that The Skull Mailbox has made its way off of my shelf again and into my disc player on this fine Halloween

I might have to "analyze" this tune soon - really great.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Thats some thick crazy stuff man. I dig it a lot. I know what is going into my ears today!
    Yeah man!

The Skull Mailbox is my fave BD solo album! Must revisit it again soon!

Last week I played 13 Songs and a Thing a couple of times. It is very, very nice also!

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I had very limited studio resources when recording my own material. Also, I have never attained that level of mastery on studio to play with effects to such an extent.
    What I described is really crude and totally simple, you don't need any studio or anything fancy for that. Just use something that splits your bass signal into two outputs (a volume pedal with two outputs is perfect, or make a Y-cord) and plug one cable into some effects (cheap or broken ones are best) and that gets plugged into one channel of an amplifier, and plug the other cable (the non-effected bass, or plugged into whatever you feel like) into the other channel, and set the volumes of each channel where you like. It's the most basic use of two inputs on an amp

BD
    www.bdrak.com

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    The Skull Mailbox is my fave BD solo album! Must revisit it again soon!
    Thanks Conti, and Frank. It's the oldest of my albums I can still listen to and still think it's all pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I might have to "analyze" this tune soon - really great.
    Oh good..let me know if you can figure out the guitar tuning, haha. This is one of those tunes where I picked up a guitar which had some accidental tuning, hit a few chords and thought "oh I like that" and just carried on and over the course of a few days came up with the song, recorded it, and didn't think until much later that I hadn't made any note of the tuning. I truly have no idea what it was, and I loved playing that fingerpicking guitar part so much...but I can never do it again! At least is was recorded, that's what matters!

BD
    www.bdrak.com

While you are here... :-)
    What how do you count the rythm in Comeuppance ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5KrWEK9VY

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    While you are here... :-)
    What how do you count the rythm in Comeuppance ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5KrWEK9VY
    I presume you mean the opening section - I don't count. I hear it as music, not trying to divide it into numbers. If I can't feel a musical passage, I may resort to counting, but there was never anywhere in that song where I had to count anything.
    Does that help?

PS; obviously when we played the song, someone would count it in, with a "1, 2..." but that's just so everyone would start at the same time, as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by B D; 10-31-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B D View Post
    What I described is really crude and totally simple, you don't need any studio or anything fancy for that. Just use something that splits your bass signal into two outputs (a volume pedal with two outputs is perfect, or make a Y-cord) and plug one cable into some effects (cheap or broken ones are best) and that gets plugged into one channel of an amplifier, and plug the other cable (the non-effected bass, or plugged into whatever you feel like) into the other channel, and set the volumes of each channel where you like. It's the most basic use of two inputs on an amp

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Thanks for your time, Bob. I think the problem is that ultimately my own bass guitar amp (GK MB150 E) has only one input :-)

In any case, if someday I manage to play the bass guitar again on a constant basis I'll have your tips in mind to get a heavier/dirtier sound.

PS: Comeuppance is sick.

Does that help?
    Not really
    A friend of mine, a musician said: probably written in 4/4 but from 2:09 it goes like this: 13/8 + 4/4 + 4/4 + 9/8 + 4/4 + 3/4 + 9/8 + 4/4 + 4/4 + 9/8 + 4/4 + 3/4 + etc. etc. etc

Anyhow - it sounds great !

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Not really
    A friend of mine, a musician said: probably written in 4/4 but from 2:09 it goes like this: 13/8 + 4/4 + 4/4 + 9/8 + 4/4 + 3/4 + 9/8 + 4/4 + 4/4 + 9/8 + 4/4 + 3/4 + etc. etc. etc
    I had to learn this tune for the 5UUs tour in 1995, and Dave couldn't give me a metric breakdown, so I had to try to 'hear' it like Dave and Bob. So, on that basis, I broke it down as indicated in the attached file. The kinda twitch in the 2nd half of the rhythmic phrase begins on 4th 16th (or 2nd 1/8th beat) of the 11/16 measure. The bass sometimes plays a little upward riff, marking the "twitch", which is kind of like a little module of 5/16 inserted in the middle of the bar. This "groove" is most readily heard and 'grokked' where it returns at about 3:01.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks a lot ! Music is pretty puzzling & interesting !

This passage always kills me... it's so sick. That faster tempo groove. AW HELL YA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50LV7ij6Ho4#t=58

chalkpie
    This passage always kills me... it's so sick. That faster tempo groove. AW HELL YA.

Yeah - that was great! Pretty fuckin tight! Who was that creature that wandered in the screen in the lower left corner?

One of my favorite 5UU's tunes!!!!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Oh gosh, yet another one of my sartorially challenged moments!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yeah - that was great! Pretty fuckin tight! Who was that creature that wandered in the screen in the lower left corner?
    That was merely one of a small handful of Bolognese persons at the venue who seemed to be paying attention....or else he was drunk or stoned and just wandered by the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ-Plagued View Post
    I had to learn this tune for the 5UUs tour in 1995, and Dave couldn't give me a metric breakdown, so I had to try to 'hear' it like Dave and Bob. So, on that basis, I broke it down as indicated in the attached file.
    It looks so...inocuous!

Not too bad! The playing is good, but those of you who are singers will know what I mean when I say that I hadn't found my voice yet in those days, I could hit notes, etc, but for one thing wasn't sure where the sound should actually come from, physically, and hadn't had much singing experience to discover those kinds of things before doing this band. I was aware of that for every moment of the tour! But somebody had to do it, and I was "best" so there wasn't any choice! Were it today, I would gladly yowl into the microphone with no reticence whatsoever and think it sounds pretty good, haha.

Conti - here you see an example where I play part of the song with a plectrum and part with my fingers, to get different sounds
    Last edited by B D; 11-05-2014 at 01:28 AM.

Conti - here you see an example where I play part of the song with a plectrum and part with my fingers, to get different sounds
    Yeah, not a bad example, by the way! Gotta love that Rickenbaker. It once has been an object of adoration to me, being a huge Chris Squire's fan as I was in my teenage years (still am). Actually, I remember when I first played one in a studio. I was surprised at how light-weighted it was! Quite a huge difference compared to my J-bass, which is nearly as heavy as tree!

By the way, how far from the fretboard are the strings of your Rickenbaker? I reckon its trebly sound and attack can somehow be related to this.

By the way #2: would you mind to name the bass players who were your main influences in your formative years?

[QUOTE=Conti;329561

By the way, how far from the fretboard are the strings of your Rickenbaker? I reckon its trebly sound and attack can somehow be related to this.

[/QUOTE]

Not especially high nor low. Maybe on the high side because I do not play with a light touch. From my experience I would say that the sound has mostly to do with the way you play than it does with what hight the strings are at, except when they are too low then they get muted by the frets or you get intonation problems.

[QUOTE=Conti;329561
    By the way #2: would you mind to name the bass players who were your main influences in your formative years?[/QUOTE]

The reason I wanted to play the bass was because of Chris Squire, when I heard Fragile in 1972. That's really why I bought my first bass: a Tiesco, incredibly cheap...then about a year later an Electra, also cheap but a bit better, then in 1974 the one I had always wanted - the 4001. Though it was Squire who made me want to play the bass, in the early 70's I started learning bass parts from so many different albums by various bands; Rare Earth, Uriah Heep, Yes, Gentle Giant, Beatles, Henry Cow, Simon and Garfunkel, Deep Purple, James Brown, Led Zeppelin, to name a few that I can remember. In general it was that world of rock and pop that was my influence.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Last edited by B D; 11-05-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: fixed some misspellings or however its spelled.

This is an astonishingly fantastic thread!

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    This is an astonishingly fantastic thread!
    I was thinking that same thing... for morning coffee I come to this thread! Love hearing from the men who make my ears grin.

Not especially high nor low. Maybe on the high side because I do not play with a light touch. From my experience I would say that the sound has mostly to do with the way you play than it does with what hight the strings are at, except when they are too low then they get muted by the frets or you get intonation problems.

The reason I wanted to play the bass was because of Chris Squire, when I heard Fragile in 1972. That's really why I bought my first bass: a Tiesco, incredibly cheap...then about a year later an Electra, also cheap but a bit better, then in 1974 the one I had always wanted - the 4001. Though it was Squire who made me want to play the bass, in the early 70's I started learning bass parts from so many different albums by various bands; Rare Earth, Uriah Heep, Yes, Gentle Giant, Beatles, Henry Cow, Simon and Garfunkel, Deep Purple, James Brown, Led Zeppelin, to name a few that I can remember. In general it was that world of rock and pop that was my influence.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    It's amazing how influential Chris Squire was in his prime. He took the melodic approach of McCartney and the agressiveness of John Entwistle to the limit. And the sound of his Rickenbaker was amazing, more so on Fragile. Nice to hear he was also an influence on your playing to. As for the remaining of your list of influences, they are also outstanding in my book.

From my own experience I agree with you regarding the sound coming from the instrument versus height of the strings. And the same instrument played by a different player can indeed sound very different! When I bought my J-Bass I got it from a friend who was a huge Marcus Miller fan. The strings were so close to the fretboard that I had difficulties with getting a decent sound (I usually play not so gently, and mostly with a plectrum). After some adjustments, bingo! Perfect sound.

It's a pity that I don't have time to study the bass anymore (work, kids, etc.), but I'd love to delve into the 5uu's songbook to learn some bass parts. They sound really fun and challenging! I'm afraid I wouldn't dare to learn the bass parts for The Science Group material. The level of outrageousness is to high! LoL

It looks so...inocuous!
    It IS innocuous until you get to the 11/16 measure!